Amazon: Kindle books now outselling print books

By Emil
May 19, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Amazon began selling hardcover and paperback books in July 1995. Twelve years later in November 2007, Amazon introduced the Kindle and began selling Kindle books.

Read the whole story
  2. r3dark

r3dark Newcomer, in training Posts: 50

Were doomed! soon as we start depending on these devices what are the chances of someone launching an emp device across the us like in home-front game and create us illiteracy for new generations =0.
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,231   +314

That is mind blowing. I thought it would be years and years - even decades - before e-books got to this point. (shrugs) Hard to argue with technology....
  4. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 909   +36

Considering the Library of Congress keeps a number of hard copies (when able to) as well as electronic versions that are stored in EMP resistant (not proof mind you, at least as far as I know) data centers, the likelyhood of completely wiping out past literary work is unlikely, especially since they are afterall still selling hard copies, just not as fast as digital ones.
  5. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TechSpot Booster Posts: 656   +35

They need to start selling textbooks from my college for this because right now I pay on average $500 a semester(every 5-6months) for books alone.
  6. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 909   +36

Protip: Buy used and buy online as much as possible. It can cut your book costs by 50% or even more if you can manage to get all your books this way. Buying new in a digital format or in a ream format (for binders basically) does not really cut the cost to the student very much.
  7. BrianUMR

BrianUMR Newcomer, in training Posts: 44

You don't want that. The Ebook will be the same price and you won't be able to sell your books back ever. So instead of now playing $500 and getting $100-$200 back at the end of the semester you will pay $500 and have your textbooks to keep.
  8. yRaz

yRaz TechSpot Booster Posts: 768   +47

It would be interesting to see the hard copy come with an e-book version.
  9. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +97

I agree, why can't you buy both as one item. If your paying for the hard copy surely including a digital version isn't too much hardship.
  10. tonylukac

tonylukac TechSpot Maniac Posts: 744   +14

5 years ago I worked for a library. Look what happened.
  11. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,508   +81

Got a Kindle recently, got to be careful when buying reference/text books. Many for computer related topics come with CD/DVD material. Many Kindle versions don't yet have downloads to accompany the book and you are stuck reading through missing the point of any "Open/See the example on the DVD" parts. This is more a shortcoming of the publishers/Kindle conversion system than the technology as a whole.
  12. I wonder how many are free books.
    You never get free paper books

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.