Amazon likely to lose $50 for every Kindle Fire sold

By Shawn Knight
Sep 28, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Amazon is likely to lose around $50 for every Kindle Fire tablet that the company sells. Piper Jaffray’s Gene Muster further believes that the Fire isn’t a true competitor to…

Read the whole story
  2. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,284   +231

Ah, so they have taken the console gaming approach... Well, if they have their own app store for revenue (on top of e-book sales), Amazon should be able to quickly recover more than that deficit from a good number of their customers. Over the long haul, it'll be a quantity numbers game, and Amazon has repeatedly proven it can win when it plays that way.
  3. Tanstar

Tanstar TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 195   +18

And the consumers win when Amazon wins, so I'm for that!
  4. 1977TA

1977TA Newcomer, in training Posts: 90

Sell it for a loss to gain a customer base, then charge for apps/subscriptions. Works for me!
  5. thats not what it said. They were talking about iPad when they talked about gaming.
  6. "Amazon will leverage their assets to provide movies, music, books and storage on the Cloud in addition to traditional web browsing and gaming."

Nope right there they are talking about Amazon.
  7. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd Newcomer, in training Posts: 555

If the screen is good and the unit is light, i think the 7" screen is a good choice. What OS is it running?
  8. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TechSpot Maniac Posts: 892   +52

It hints it has android on it but it doesn't outright say it.
  9. Android is a fork of Linux, Amazon Fire is a fork of Android.
  10. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TechSpot Guru Posts: 585   +45

They're child processes?
  11. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,195   +69

Ok... so amazon looses out of selling their tablets, it has nothing to do with the content and things they sell for you to use on your tablet...

12. Ultraman1966

Ultraman1966 Newcomer, in training Posts: 69

I think this tablet may have a little trouble; with only 8GB of non expandable memory, it needs a good and frequent connection to the internet and wi fi is hardly universal everywhere...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.