TechSpot

Amazon, others to use new color E-ink displays?

By Matthew
Mar 19, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prime View International (PVI) showed 6 and 9.7-inch color E-ink prototypes at a trade show in China this week, and they could make their way into e-readers later this year. The company reportedly demoed the smaller display with an animated clip of blue and red racecars driving on a track, but said its refresh is too slow for real video playback.

Read the whole story
  2. Timonius

Timonius TS Booster Posts: 582   +32

Very neat. I would love to see color e-ink in action. Between this, tablets, netbooks, etc. the lines are getting blurry as to the differences.
  3. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,238   +79

I have followed this screens for quite a while, can't wait to see them in netbooks for extra battery life, along with dual core atoms.
  4. rufio

rufio TS Rookie Posts: 51

this is pretty cool! i didn't even know something like this existed
  5. Looks like someone's re-invented the passive matrix LCD display.
  6. megrawab

megrawab TS Rookie Posts: 93

For me, the LCD display looks old and the case itself. But looks like it has something more to do, hope so...
  7. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

I'd think Amazon and Barnes & Noble are looking towards something more then what they have since the tablet competition is clearly superior and consumers might want that.
  8. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +31

This is going to be an interesting year, with this and the other low power sunlight visible displays.

@"Looks like someone's re-invented the passive matrix LCD display" -- e-ink is active matrix.
  9. rskapadia2294

rskapadia2294 TS Rookie Posts: 102

hey great color and display!
    LCDs will become a passe!
    lookin forward to these displays!
  10. compdata

compdata TechSpot Paladin Posts: 604

Yeah, but if i get a dual core it is because i am going to be doing something multimedia intensive, which so far these screens don't look that great for. For low powered reading/display devices they look great, but not so much for a general purpose computer.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.