TechSpot

Amazon posts first quarterly loss in more than four years

By Shawn Knight
Oct 26, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Amazon on Thursday posted a quarterly loss for the first time in more than four years. The retailer reported revenue of $13.8 billion, up 27 percent but still just under analyst expectations of $13.9 billion and right in the middle...

Read more

2. danhodge

danhodge TS Member Posts: 80   +13

They will pull it back in the next quarter. Their tablet is selling very well, so their store will receive a lot more traffic, getting more sales there, and therefore more overall profits - meaning selling the Kindle at such a low price pays off in the long term. I am sure they knew this, and were willing to take losses for one quarter, in order to bring it back much bigger in the future.

3. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,387   +105

I've stopping ordering online so I hope that hasn't hurt them too much! Still giving away perks like $10 bucks in MP3 music money. They have to stay in business and do all what they must to keep you interested in buying from them. Example> SONY Network Streamer SMP-N200 was being sold on Amazon directly for $48 back in May 2012 thru Sept 2012. Today that same item is sold for $79 through them.

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,704   +397

I'm sure this is a simple question that I should know the answer to, but how is it a loss when their revenue is up 27 percent? Is a "loss" just a loss compared to expectations or did they actually lose money in there somewhere?

5. Pan Wah

Pan Wah TS Enthusiast Posts: 125   +27

It baffles me! - the article says it was in the middle of their expectations, I wonder if they made heaps of money but lost it on the horses, or burnt it or something? :):confused: