TechSpot

Amazon Q4 results: revenue up 22% but profit slips 45%

By Shawn Knight
Jan 30, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Amazon had a predictably solid holiday season that saw revenue climb 22 percent over the same period last year to $21.27 billion. Those fortunes, however, were overshadowed by a 45 percent decline in profit, dropping to just $97 million to...

Read more

2. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,930   +570

Not of much interest to a technical reader. This is a Tech Spot website ;)

3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,129   +731

Really? I think this is very relevant. Amazon is a tech company, and profits are what drives every piece of consumer technology out there.

Sure the Kindle HD sold well, but didn't they price it really low so they could make money on book sales? I think they're expecting to make some of that money back when there are a few million Kindle owners buying Amazon content. Amazon made it through the e-commerce minefield of 2000 - 2004 by following their motto - 'Get big fast.' Looks like they're doing it with the Kindle HD. I'd say we have to wait to see how it turns out.

4. VitalyT

Ok, ...yawning...

5. VitalyT

Seriously, there is so much more relevant to the technology industry that doesn't get published.

Example: The just-approved H.265 compression standard (HEVC) to finally pave the way to 4K distribution - that's kind of interesting, and surely is a huge deal for the entire digital industry ;)

6. Jim$ter

Jim$ter TS Enthusiast Posts: 132   +23

Interesting profit is going down. I buy from Amazon a lot. I have used their subscribe and save feature when it use to be 15% it was actually worth it. In the last year they have decreased it to %5 and shipping is slower. So I don't even use it anymore. It was a nice feature and I'm sure others are disappointed what they did to that feature.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.