Amazon removes doormats depicting Indian flag following visa ban threat

midian182

Staff member

Amazon may have invested more than $5 billion in India over the last two years, but the company has felt the wrath of one government official following the discovery of doormats depicting the Indian flag on Amazon Canada.

India’s external affairs minister, Sushma Swaraj, sent out a tweet yesterday asking the Indian High Commission in Canada to take up the issue with Amazon at the highest level. A later post stated that the retail giant “must tender unconditional apology” and immediately withdraw all products “insulting our national flag” from its Canadian site.

Swaraj threatened to refuse an Indian visa to any Amazon official and rescind visas that had previously been issued if the company didn’t take action.

Doormats showing flags from other countries, including the US and the UK, were also available from third-party sellers Mayers Flag Doormats and XLYL. Indian law prohibits any desecration of its flag - anyone who does so faces fines and imprisonment.

The Indian mats were removed yesterday. “The item is no longer for sale on the site,” said an Amazon spokesperson. 

It’s not too surprising to see Amazon get rid of the offending item so quickly. It continues to battle against local companies Flipkart and Snapdeal in the world’s fastest growing internet services market. And last year, CEO Jeff Bezos said Amazon is growing faster in India than in any other region.

Swaraj has 7 million followers on Twitter and has previously used the platform to organize an operation to rescue Indians detained in Iraq.

Permalink to story.

I don't really care to buy flag doormats. But, as a Canadian, I do respect the fact that this is a form of free speech (or whatever you want to call it). If someone in Canada wants to buy one, let them. Someone in India shouldn't be able to dictate what another country can buy from a corporation that doesn't originate from their country.
It sets a bad precedent.

Talk about being over patriotic considering he's nothing more than a public servant. He must've been brainwashed since a child... and he's looking for praise and votes if he's planning to run for prime minister one day. Yeah, he'll go down in history as the one who single handedly, without regards to his own safety, saved India's flag from further desecration.

I don't really care to buy flag doormats. But, as a Canadian, I do respect the fact that this is a form of free speech (or whatever you want to call it). If someone in Canada wants to buy one, let them. Someone in India shouldn't be able to dictate what another country can buy from a corporation that doesn't originate from their country.
It sets a bad precedent.

Very dangerous!

"Amazon must tender unconditional apology."

ummm... Take a chill pill.

Whatever happen to asking nicely first?
I respect the concern about the desecration of the Indian flag, but I feel like this was an overreaction.
I highly doubt that Amazon was trying to intentionally offend India.

Since when is a doormat depicting a flag equal to desecration? You see the doormat every time you walk in (or out) of your home... I'd think it would be showing patriotism... it's not like it's toilet paper...

If the doormat had a cross on it, would the Pope be threatening to excommunicate the CEO of Amazon?

It sets a bad precedent.

Political correctness and appeasement to preserve profits wins over freedom of speech any day.

"Amazon must tender unconditional apology."

ummm... Take a chill pill.

Whatever happen to asking nicely first?
I respect the concern about the desecration of the Indian flag, but I feel like this was an overreaction.
I highly doubt that Amazon was trying to intentionally offend India.

A third party seller was selling door mats with flags images on it. Of course Amazon wasn't trying to intentionally offend India.

A lot of these Indians don't understand that just because an image is on a door mat doesn't make it an insult or an offense in Western countries like Canada. Also, India should not be able to dictate what is sold in other countries. Amazon pulling this item from being sold in CANADA is ridiculous.

My spongebob floor mat is doing fine. I dont see why a floor mat matter so much to dictate how high your standard is.

Last edited:
It sets a bad precedent.

Free speech? It would be best if you just keep printing your own Canadian flag and step on it with the dirt every time you enter or exit anywhere you put it. Be free to step on your own country's flag but don't spill your filth on others.

Free speech? It would be best if you just keep printing your own Canadian flag and step on it with the dirt every time you enter or exit anywhere you put it. Be free to step on your own country's flag but don't spill your filth on others.
That's a nice opinion bud. And you're free to have that :p

Talk about being over patriotic considering he's nothing more than a public servant. He must've been brainwashed since a child... and he's looking for praise and votes if he's planning to run for prime minister one day. Yeah, he'll go down in history as the one who single handedly, without regards to his own safety, saved India's flag from further desecration.
She, not he. Also, part of a nationalist party currently in power, so there's that, too.

Hey, I think some of these officials in other countries are stealing some of the moves from Donald Trump's playbook now! Why contact a company privately if you're unhappy with something they're selling when you can take to Twitter instead and publicly shame them?! Also it makes you look so good to your millions of followers. Fame +50

...[ ]....If the doormat had a cross on it, would the Pope be threatening to excommunicate the CEO of Amazon?
With all factors considered, including the history of the Catholic church, more than likely yes.

Although, I expect it might depend on whether or not the cross was sporting an image of Jesus. Those heathen Protestants use a bare cross, the pope might let that slide.

Actually yes, free speech. The US Supreme Court handed down a decision which deemed burning the US flag was covered under the 1st Amendment provision for freedom of expression. That combined with the fact the US flag has been worked into everything from overalls to underpants.

...[ ]...Swaraj has 7 million followers on Twitter and has previously used the platform to organize an operation to rescue Indians detained in Iraq.
Considering India's population is in excess of one billion, 7 million followers isn't all that impressive. Oh well, I guess the whole, "squeaky wheel really does get oiled first", attaches

It sets a bad precedent.
You wouldn't say free speech if the doormat had Sony's logo - it would be Sony's right to legally pursue those bastards. You would say flat out thievery. Not every crap out there is free speech, no need to hide the lack of inspiration and greediness of a doormat company behind free speech. Instead of investing in design they just copied other countries flag. Where you see free speech breach, I see lack of respect towards the symbol of a nation.
BTW: the indians are not dictating canadians what to do - they just announced they would take action against Amazon because their symbol/flag is abused - they haven't threatened the canadians. It is Amazon who is dictating to canadians what to do - I.e. not selling them anymore that product - Amazon could have stand up and say no but it bent over. It amazes me how you failed to see this.

Since when is a doormat depicting a flag equal to desecration? You see the doormat every time you walk in (or out) of your home... I'd think it would be showing patriotism... it's not like it's toilet paper...

If the doormat had a cross on it, would the Pope be threatening to excommunicate the CEO of Amazon?
It's a matter of culture and pride - it belongs to India - is important to them. It is also called respect and very important in relationship with others. Wanna be respected, you respect others when it comes to a symbol like their flag. You don't minimize the issue according to your own beliefs and education. They didn't asked much really. Speaking of Pope, I think that 50 years ago it would have excommunicated the Amazon's CEO, assuming that fellow is a catholic. Nowadays, with Catholic church reinventing itself, you could get at most a protest from Vatican.

It's a matter of culture and pride - it belongs to India - is important to them. It is also called respect and very important in relationship with others. Wanna be respected, you respect others when it comes to a symbol like their flag. You don't minimize the issue according to your own beliefs and education. They didn't asked much really. Speaking of Pope, I think that 50 years ago it would have excommunicated the Amazon's CEO, assuming that fellow is a catholic. Nowadays, with Catholic church reinventing itself, you could get at most a protest from Vatican.
There are thousands of doormats being sold around the world... Many have logos or flags or something on them - it doesn't mean those things are disrespected!

I have a Toronto Maple Leafs doormat... They are my favourite team and so I got one (it was $5)... While they HAVE been the doormats of the league for awhile, it wasn't out of disrespect that I got it!

I understand that some jerkface in India took offense, and bullied Amazon (who had nothing to do with it anyways - they are just a medium for the sales) into pulling it... I highly doubt any offense was intended when the mat was manufactured... I mean, can you really see a business going, "let's piss off as many countries as we can!"

You wouldn't say free speech if the doormat had Sony's logo - it would be Sony's right to legally pursue those bastards. You would say flat out thievery. Not every crap out there is free speech, no need to hide the lack of inspiration and greediness of a doormat company behind free speech. Instead of investing in design they just copied other countries flag. Where you see free speech breach, I see lack of respect towards the symbol of a nation.
BTW: the indians are not dictating canadians what to do - they just announced they would take action against Amazon because their symbol/flag is abused - they haven't threatened the canadians. It is Amazon who is dictating to canadians what to do - I.e. not selling them anymore that product - Amazon could have stand up and say no but it bent over. It amazes me how you failed to see this.
Flags wouldn't technically fall under copyright, so that's something else entirely. But if the Sony logo was used in parody (or some other fair use), I would expect them to get away with it because it would be covered under free speech.
Who said I didn't see potential disrespect? Cause I never suggested either way.
And they indirectly are dictating what Canadians can buy. It sounds like it was specifically Amazon Canada that was selling it. What I see is pressure to stop selling something in Canada where it doesn't break our laws.

She, not he. Also, part of a nationalist party currently in power, so there's that, too.
He... She... It makes no difference, they're just politicians. Incapable, deceitful, corrupt, lying, attention seeking homo sapiens, and that's their good side, they're all tarred with the same brush irrespective of their sex, race, country etc...

People in India give respect to their National Flag. They revere their flag. Doormat is not something you associate with reverence.

You use it to rub off your dirt on it.

They are offended by it. I think other "jerkfaces" should desecrate their own country flags if they feel free speech is important to them.

Your freeapeech shouldn't trample and poke your sorry noses into others.

People in India give respect to their National Flag. They revere their flag. Doormat is not something you associate with reverence.

You use it to rub off your dirt on it.

They are offended by it. I think other "jerkfaces" should desecrate their own country flags if they feel free speech is important to them.

Your freeapeech shouldn't trample and poke your sorry noses into others.
The people buying it wouldn't be in India... and what they're doing is none of India's business...

After this silliness I would suggest they simply print the flag in the inside of every diaper they sell ....

Back