Amazon smartphone could arrive as an AT&T exclusive with 'Prime Data'

Shawn Knight

Staff member

amazon att exclusive prime data

Amazon’s top secret smartphone division has a serious leaker on its hands (or someone is really doing a great job of pulling the wool over our eyes). In addition to the myriad of details that have already emerged, the latest intel could prove to be the 3D-enabled handset’s most attractive feature yet.

Multiple sources have told BGR that Amazon is planning to offer a unique wireless data plan with the device. It’s being tentatively referred to as “Prime Data” but unfortunately, Amazon is keeping the details a closely guarded secret. Despite their best attempts, the sources weren’t able to gather a ton of information on the initiative.

They were, however, willing to speculate on the plans based on what little they know thus far.

More than one person suggested the phone could be made available as an AT&T exclusive in the US. If true, it could mean that Amazon may be among the first to strike up a deal under the carrier’s new sponsored data program.

While it’s not likely that Amazon would agree to AT&T’s terms straight up due to branding requirements, the company would no doubt have some leverage with regard to negotiating due to their sheer size and potential reach.

The “free” bandwidth could be made available for users to access various Prime-branded digital services while on cellular data and could help to explain the recent $20 annual Prime membership price hike.

Permalink to story.

Wow... not much detail here, is there. So there's a phone with something called 'Prime data' on it, but we don't what it is. Why is this even a story?

No thanks! ANYTHING locked to at&t is a no no for me.
Bloat, pushed ads, crippled features, no thanks!
I've been on straight talk for over 18 months on an unlocked non
carrier Note1, and wouldn't go back to a contract device for anything!

I was on the fence about whether Amazon could put together a good phone, and whether it would appeal to me (considering I've enjoyed my Kindle Fire for a while now)...

This didn't just push me off the fence, it knocked down the entire fence. Anything that gets tied to AT&T exclusively is dead to me. Tying it to ANY specific carrier is the kiss of death, really, but my (and my company's) experiences with AT&T have assured I'll never touch anything of theirs.

Yuck If they go with at&t I won't be getting one unfortunately I have been waiting for their cell phone but if this is true will be rolling over my unlimited data plan at verizion on a dif cell sigh

Back