Amazon sold more Kindles in the last 73 days than all of 2009

Emil

Staff

Via an official user account called "The Amazon Kindle team," Amazon has posted a public message to its customers, thanking them for buying more Kindle devices in the last 10 weeks than in the entire previous year. The online retailer thanked those who have purchased the device for their support but also made sure to tout some impressive sales at the same time.

As always, Amazon did not disclose exact sales numbers but it did say it managed to move "millions" of the new device in 73 days, passing the number it sold in all of 2009. These numbers are just for the new Kindle and do not include the older versions. Furthermore, the fourth quarter isn't even over yet, so the sales are likely to keep growing as shoppers make last-minute purchases for the 2010 holiday season.

Here is the full thank you letter:

The Amazon Kindle team says:

Thank you Kindle customers!

Thanks to you, in just the first 73 days of this holiday quarter, we've already sold millions of our all-new Kindles with the latest E Ink Pearl display. In fact, in the last 73 days, readers have purchased more Kindles than we sold during all of 2009. We're grateful for and energized by the overwhelming customer response.

Thank you for being a customer,

The Kindle Team

P.S. Kindle is far and away our bestselling gift item. You can learn more about our all new Kindle with the most advanced E Ink pearl display for $139 at amazon.com/kindle

Permalink to story.

That is just mind boggling. I have a friend who bought one about 8 months ago and I asked her how she liked it. Her answer was basically, "It's OK - the only thing it's really done is make me buy a lot more books than I normally would have." ;)

A couple of my friends have kindles and they loooove them. Another friend of mine is getting one for Christmas. I'm sure I'll get one too, certainly by the end of next year.

I can easily say with the $139.00 price tag, the newest Kindle is by far the best eReader on the market as of right now! I absolutely love mine and I enjoy reading more now than I ever have in the past! Thank you Amazon for such a great device!

Amazon should thank Apple as well, the iPad helped reignite the ebook reader market, I'm sure most the users who bought the kindle really wanted the iPad but just couldn't afford it. Just my opinion of course.

aj_the_kidd said:
Amazon should thank Apple as well, the iPad helped reignite the ebook reader market, I'm sure most the users who bought the kindle really wanted the iPad but just couldn't afford it. Just my opinion of course.

Yes and no, the iPad makes for a decent reader, especially for things like comics and anything with color... But the glare from lights/sun kills it when it comes down to it. I feel the Kindle is much easier on the eyes and it's also lighter and not as bulky as the iPad. The price just really sweetens the deal.

I agree with what you are saying but what i was trying to say is that the iPad re-ignited the ebook reader market which is why Kindle sold has sold so well. Whilst the kindle has gotten better the demand was not as high until the iPad came out.

I have a galaxy tab BTW and the love the size and weight, its really convenient and easy to hold to longer periods of time, plus it does most of the things that the iPad cant, but its not that great of the ebook reader, its a little sluggish. :(

Back