TechSpot

Amazon stands firm on sales tax battle, cuts off Connecticut

By Jos
Jun 13, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Amazon.com has cut its ties with its online sales affiliates in Connecticut over a new state law there that would force the ecommerce giant to collect sales taxes on their…

Read the whole story

2. Muggs

Muggs TS Rookie Posts: 56

Amazon should move all operations to Montana since they do not have sales tax and screw the rest of the states. My state NC is currently suing amazon to get information of anyone who purchased from their site. I will hate to see that bill.

3. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Guru Posts: 689   +48

Wow can't believe the big business is the good guy and the state is the bad guy.

4. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 593   +47

You're darn right that the state is the bad guy. It's a double tax; Once for the state from which the item is shipped, and one for the state to which the item is going. Laws like this make it prohibitive for not just the big businesses, but also for Joe Schmoe's online business.

Why are people so brainwashed into thinking that big business is always the bad guy...

5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I don't think it will hurt Amazon that much. I'm sure there will be a loss of people who might have clicked on a affiliate link, but won't go to the trouble of actually navigating to Amazon and entering the price, but if a person wants to get something, its only a bit more effort.

This will just screw over people who rely on this for income, and the resultant income tax drop for the state.

6. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

Connecticut, no long Connected

7. I think that eventually Amazon will have to give in and start collecting sales tax as more and more states demand it (CT, NY, CA, TX, etc)

Of course, consumers won't be happy about paying sales tax, and many are already discovering ways to avoid doing so. For example, many consumers in California and New York use a package forwarding service from Oregon (where there is no state sales tax) to shop tax-free online, even though their states collect sales tax on online purchases. (You just order with an Oregon address, then have your packages forwarded to your own state, tax-free). See http://bit.ly/mRILaE

8. The tax is for collecting Use Tax, or Sales tax on the consumer. It is not a double tax, as you are charged for the Sales Tax in your State only.

9. Don't forget the income taxes (federal and maybe state) that you already pay on your wages BEFORE YOU EVEN GET TO SPEND ANY OF IT. Greedy, chickenshit, tax & spend liberals are the root cause. They just gotta get more money to pay for translating everything to spanish.

10. Connecticut also thinking about pulling all gold teeth in a new death tax.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.