TechSpot

Amazon to Apple: the term "app store" is generic

By Emil
Apr 26, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Last month, Amazon launched its own Android App Store and was promptly sued by Apple for using the term "app store." Amazon has since responded in court, calling Apple's claim to the App Store trademark baseless, and pointing to a statement from Apple CEO Steve Jobs for evidence in its favor.

Read the whole story

2. HiDDeNMisT

HiDDeNMisT TS Enthusiast Posts: 203   +11

wow really apple needs to stop

3. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Guru Posts: 686   +47

Apple isn't going to win.

4. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

Everyone to Amazon: the 1-click patent is generic.

5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

That's really the best you can do?

6. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,815   +922

Wow, lawyers really do have nothing better to do, than justify their ridiculous paydays with a bunch of BS litigation.

Apple Computers and Apple Records should both be really happy that they were were allowed those "generic" trademarks. Did the "apple growers association" ever sue because because of those blatant infringements?

7. Timonius

Timonius TS Booster Posts: 584   +33

this is how 'grown-ups' argue :p lol

8. Well, the term App Store really didn't get heavily utilized until Apple started using it. And when they started making all of this money selling apps in their App Store, guess what, everybody else started using it too. I think trying to trademark the term is ridiculous but you could see why they'd want to.

Is it any different than Microsoft trademarking "Windows", "Office", "Word", or "Outlook"?

9. captaincranky

Why did you conveniently leave, "Apple" off your little list?
    Wait, don't tell me, let me guess, you're going to jump in a show us how to do it correctly?

10. herpaderp

herpaderp TS Enthusiast Posts: 159

The Windows patent makes more sense, after all, it's a line of software products, not a store that sells its namesake. Apple should have just patented "Apple App Store" or "iStore" or something, instead of picking such a generic name for their.....app store.

11. Ooppss...you're right about "Apple" too. But that's the name of the company so again you could see why there would be some protection there. But in regards to products, that's a different story. If you can't protect at least your company name then we'd be seeing even more stupid lawsuits than there are today.

The problem with any of this is that it's the damn lawyers that end up winning anyway...

12. captaincranky

There exists the possibility of even more frivolous lawsuits than there are now? That's depressing.

13. No no, this is how grownups with too much money argue... for the purpose of gaining more money?!

14. matrix86

matrix86 TS Maniac Posts: 803   +9

To correct you, Microsoft didn't trademark Windows, Office, Word, and Outlook. They did, however, trademark Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Office, and Microsoft Outlook. Consumers are the ones who dropped "Microsoft" from in front of the products for the simple fact that we're lazy. Why say "I use Microsoft Word" when you can just say "I use Word."?

15. And actually Apple stole their name from The Beatles, which owned "Apple Records" and even used the Apple as a logo. Apple Computer sends dividend checks to the Beatles Estate monthly.

16. captaincranky

You do know the all the Beatles aren't dead, don't you...?

17. TekGun

TekGun TS Enthusiast Posts: 158   +13

I'm sure Paul and Ringo would like to know why no one told them :p

Just because Apple so say made the term app popular doesn't mean they should get sole use of the term "app store" just stick an i in front like with everything else and be done with it already.

18. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,286   +232

Once again, the comparison between "app store" and "Windows" or even "Apple" being allowed trademarks is irrelevant. Windows, Apple, Office, etc. are all abstracts applied to a specific company or product - they have a variety of possible meanings, sometimes not even closely related to what the name gets tagged onto (like in the case of Apple meaning computers/electronics). But the term "app store" has only one possible meaning, and the phrase is the very definition of the product. That is far too generic to be allowed. Now, if Apple had actually invented the term "app" then they might have a basis for argument of ownership, but they most definitely did not. If Apple wants to trademark "Apple App Store" or "iApp Store" then they have every right, but to claim ownership to the name of an entire economic marketplace model is just asinine...

19. nismo91

nismo91 TS Guru Posts: 1,004   +11

if Microsoft trademarked Office instead of Microsoft Office, then all those suites - EasyOffice, LibreOffice, StarOffice, OpenOffice and so on will be sued in no time. cmon people AppStore is way too generic.

20. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,059   +76

@Captain
    I think you love to 'straighten out' iSheeps don't ya? ;)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.