Amazon to expand little-known grocery delivery service this week

Shawn Knight

Staff member

amazon groceries

Amazon is reportedly preparing to expand their grocery delivery service following years of quiet testing in Seattle. Two people familiar with the situation said the e-commerce site could launch AmazonFresh in Los Angeles as early as this week and hit San Francisco by the end of the year. Assuming everything goes as planned, the service would then roll out in 20 other urban areas throughout 2014.

The grocery business in the US is one of the few that hasn’t been directly impacted by e-commerce. Part of the reason for that is because food in general is a low-margin business but another obstacle has been the ability (or inability) to efficiently deliver temperature-sensitive items like eggs, meat and frozen goods.

Amazon may have a solution to these problems, however, as new warehouses are said to have refrigerated areas for food in addition to space to store up to one million general merchandise products. Amazon’s ability to deliver food and general items in a single shipment will no doubt give them a leg up on the competition.

If successful, the move could have a drastic effect on grocery chains like Safeway, Kroger and Whole Foods Market in addition to retail giants like Target and Wal-Mart. Amazon would at some point deploy their own delivery trucks which could have implications for traditional couriers like FedEx and UPS.

Are you interested in ordering groceries online? Would you pay a premium for online groceries versus having to wait in lines at the grocery store?

Permalink to story.

And Jeff Bezos is at BILDERBERG; unfortunately now I suspect Amazon is now a globalist front. Im sure these groceries is just full of aspartame and fluoride and GMOS so no way you want to ingest such; unless you like killing your brain and immune system and cancer. Don't believe me I dare you to look it up.

And Jeff Bezos is at BILDERBERG; unfortunately now I suspect Amazon is now a globalist front. Im sure these groceries is just full of aspartame and fluoride and GMOS so no way you want to ingest such; unless you like killing your brain and immune system and cancer. Don't believe me I dare you to look it up.

I wouldn't like to kill my brain & immune system but killing cancer is another story.

I have friends who buy their groceries through Amazon here in Seattle. They were very skeptical when they started, but said every delivery has been timely with excellent products, especially the produce.

Now they're a family who are busy with kid activities, etc., so can see how this would benefit them. For a single person like myself - I can do my own shopping. ;)

Americans will never get it. Convenience has its consequences. Next we'll be walking around with diapers on, and not wanting to leave the crib.

Grocery delivery is not new, at least in many areas. That's Schwan's whole business. Many supermarket chains offer this service and in some areas so does Walmart. I prefer to shop for myself but for some, like seniors and others who don't drive or if you live alone and you get sick, it can come in handy.

Home delivery here in England is perfectly fine, I don't see anything different about the products I get (such as added aspartame or other apparently cancerous rumours) and I don't pay any premium except for the delivery charge.

Hello huge monopoly.
You guests or guest truly seem to be awake;I solute you

Home delivery here in England is perfectly fine, I don't see anything different about the products I get (such as added aspartame or other apparently cancerous rumours) and I don't pay any premium except for the delivery charge.
ok then,fluoride is good for you too keep drinking it and ingesting as much aspartame as possible as well as gmos if you don't believe me. If gmos don't cause cancer explain this 30 years ago(before they put gmos in food)cancer was extremely rare and now it's skyrocketed by thousands of percent since then(after gmos were introduced) And areas with no gmos(3rd world countries)haven't even heard of the word cancer.If You still don't believe me then have fun eating your gmos and fluoride :)

ok then,fluoride is good for you too keep drinking it and ingesting as much aspartame as possible as well as gmos if you don't believe me. If gmos don't cause cancer explain this 30 years ago(before they put gmos in food)cancer was extremely rare and now it's skyrocketed by thousands of percent since then(after gmos were introduced) And areas with no gmos(3rd world countries)haven't even heard of the word cancer.If You still don't believe me then have fun eating your gmos and fluoride :)

I haven't researched into this so I can't disagree with you.

I haven't researched into this so I can't disagree with you.
It's admirable that your at least honest and give me a fair chance; And if you do some research check independent sources;not ones owned by the people that want me and you dead.CNN newsweek,FOX,MSNBC,CBS and so on.

Americans will never get it. Convenience has its consequences. Next we'll be walking around with diapers on, and not wanting to leave the crib.
Not really. Diapers are associated mostly with little kids, old people, and people who have just have no control over their bowels. The social repercussions would be to great

look-up what

Hello huge monopoly.
You guests or guest truly seem to be awake;I solute you

the uk dose not think gmo are safe and england is in the uk

Back