Amazon tops customer satisfaction survey for eighth straight year

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A new report from ForeSee reveals that Amazon is once again the most popular online destination with regards to customer satisfaction. The store that claims to have everything from A to Z is no stranger to being in first place in the online shopping survey as they have earned the honor for eight straight years.

Amazon was awarded a score of 88 out of a possible 100; the same score they earned in 2011. The survey company noted that Amazon has done so well due to their general appeal and the overwhelming variety of products they offer customers. In fact, ForeSee president and CEO Larry Freed said they have been dominate for so long and have such a history of focusing on the customer that it’s hard to imagine anyone else coming close.

That of course isn’t to say that others didn’t fare well in the survey. LLBean.com earned a score of 85, QVC.com and Vitacost both tallied 84 points and Esteelauder.com scored a respectable 83. Other well-known companies that have scored high in previous surveys didn’t rank as well this year, however.

Apple.com dropped four points with an overall satisfaction score of 80, good for their worst showing in four years. Dell also lost four points over last year’s score, coming up with only 77 points for 2012. But it was JCPenny.com that suffered the largest drop with six points, finishing 2012 with a score of 78.

Data in the ForeSee survey was collected from more than 24,000 customer satisfaction surveys taken between Thanksgiving and Christmas and included more than 100 different vendors.

Permalink to story.

Amazon truly knows how to do it right. Their customer service is off-the-charts excellent. I probably do 80% of my annual shopping from them as a result.

My personal experience has been quite good however I know someone who had a horror story dealing with Amazon. It was a situation where if they could just talk to the right people it was an easy issue to resolve but emails and various departments pointing to the next one didn't do it. They had to go back and forth for a couple of weeks until they finally talked to a person. Try getting a phone number and talking to an actual person from Amazon.

Guest:

I'm sure in an organization as large as Amazon, that you're going to have that once-in-a-million order that goes terribly wrong. But I've had to return only two items, and the return process was completely pain-free. Once I clicked on the "return an item" button, I had an instantly generated e-mail waiting for me in my inbox complete with a free UPS shipping sticker to return the item and clear instructions. I also had a corrupted download of an MP3 album I bought and one quick e-mail and they had reset my account for another download.

I mean we're talking flawless customer service.

Back