Amd 2400+

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay i just came back from bestbuy and i bought a amd 2400+, the guy there said that my mobo wont support it because it is a brand name mobo (compaq), and he went on talking something about proc locking and some other crap, i wanna know if this is true, to know if i have to order a new mobo off newegg.com, i know my ram will work because it runs at 266mhz (pc2100/pc2700), and the fbs is 266mhz, but i just need to know about the mobo, i used sisoftware sandra thing, and it said that the mobo supported 2.00ghz+, so i would assume that it could take the amd, the proc i have right now is an amd 1500+ i think (according to sis, it runs at 1.33 ghz, 256kb on the l2 cache, m4 thunderbird series amd athlon processor)

also the guy said that my comp really didnt run at 1.33ghz but more like 1.8ish, how does that work out

something tells me the bestbuy guy was just telling me that so that i would have to buy a new mobo from them, he kept on getting angery at me, when i tried to ask him a question or brought up a point

thnx in advance

First of all, people at Best Buy aren't expected to know the finer details of computing. Just the marketing BS and half-truths require to make a sell.

Some people that work at Best Buy may be computer geniuses, but since it isn't required and Best Buy isn't looking for geniuses, most of them aren't.

Secondly, I'm guessing you have a Compaq?

Upgrading a Compaq is very possible. You may not have the flexibility a lot of us enjoy with out custom-built systems, but many Compaqs will take a higher CPU. How high? That depends....

You should consult Compaq... I mean, HP or google out your model number and success stories with that processor.

If you have a 1500+ right now, then there is an okay possibility you can support a 2400. There's a very good possibilty you can go as far as 2000+ or so. But it all depends on Compaq's choice of system board.

It may also require a BIOS flash, which may or may not be available from Compaq. This updates the software on your system board so it can support newer CPUs.

thnx for the info

again according to the sandra sisoftware program it said that the mobo will support up to 2.00 ghz without needing a change of mobo, but that getting a newer mobo, will increase the new processing speed of the new processor because of some chip bundle package thing, and newer software, something along those lines, but it did say that it could support up to 2.00ghz, i would have gone for the 2500+ but i was to cheap to change my ram, unless of course i can find a 3200 512 stick for under 70 bucks, which is probably hard, unless its been used

A 3200+ most certainly will not work in your computer.

A 2500+ may also not work properly, so 2400+ is probably a good choice.

You see, the Athlon XP has evolved over its life span. During these changes, it is possible that older boards do not support newer CPUs.

Boards that came out around the time of the 1500+ (palamino core) should support most, if not all, Palaminos. Which means up to about 2000+ for sure.

The successor to Palamino was Thoroughbred. The first version spans 1700+/1800+ to about 2200+. The second version of the Tbred spans 2400+ to 2800+. Thoroughbreds didn't have any fundamental changes, but a BIOS flash may be required to support the proper multipliers.

Lastly, the Barton core, debuted at 2500+. It's the newest Athlon XP. It will very likely not work, since it has some architectural differences.

my computer has an athlon right now :edit: nvm

where can i find a bios flash for my comp

how hard is it to install a new mobo, dont you just unconnect everything, then re connect it all

www.hp.com will have the BIOS flash for you (if you do have a Compaq)

But honestly, the best thing to do is give Compaq / HP a call or at least look at their support section on the website and see what you board officially supports. If you search for your model and CPU support in Google or another search engine, I'm sure you'll find answers.

If you have a Thoroughbred, then your board will definitely support anything up to 2400+ and possibly even higher. You won't need a BIOS flash for this.

And flashing your BIOS is something you should avoid whenever possible. Although unlikely - It is entirely possible to harm your computer during the update process if the power goes out or your computer freezes.

I don't know if you ever found an answer to your question but. I have a Compaq 7110US that originally came with Windows ME 2x128MB PC 2100 and a Athlon Tunderbird 1.33GHz.

The motherboard is a Compaq 070Ch, which is even older than your 073Ch and I'm using BIOS: Compaq 786K2 05/03/2001 which is also older than what you have.

I'm currently running an XP2400+ With 1 256MB stick of Crucial and 1 512MB stick of Mushkin PC2100.
Using XP Home as my OS.

Just today, I popped in 2 sticks of 512MB Kingston PC2700 to test them and it recognized and worked just fine with 1GB of memory installed.

I can't tell you what will work for you but I thought this info might help.

i think i just found the answer to my question

btw im running a thunderbird, not thoroughbred

also the hp site didnt have a bios update but it did have a ROM update, w/e that means

ROM, according to HP and Compaq, is the same thing. :)

That's good news, so hey.. It's worth a shot!

As a rule with anything related to computers: If you do not need to update it... DON'T. If you are upgrading and find that the BIOS update is necessary, or if you are having computer problems and have no other resolution... Then go for it. If you have never done it before, I don't recommend trying it by yourself. Find someone that has done it before.

Bug

Originally posted by Bug
As a rule with anything related to computers: If you do not need to update it... DON'T. If you are upgrading and find that the BIOS update is necessary, or if you are having computer problems and have no other resolution... Then go for it. If you have never done it before, I don't recommend trying it by yourself. Find someone that has done it before.

Bug

For the record, I second this, as a result of personal experiences :D

Install the CPU first - If it works, great!

If it doesn't, then flashing your BIOS (ROM.. hehe) is worth trying.

how much would have changed in one year bios wise, cuz the update bios is like about 1.5 yrs newer than what cam on the computer (sometime in late 2002 is for the newer bios)

and i hope it works, it worked for the other guy, and he has the same comp as me, i guess ill find out tomorrow

im having trouble removing the original processor, there seem to be 2 clamps that hold the hs/f over the processor, but im not sure how to move them without breaking something

Due to the large variety of fans and fan mounts, can you provide a picture so that we can better assist you?
Bug

If you'd go past the first page and read the thread you could probably better assist him, not to mention see he alrady fixed the prob ;)

but i went to best buy today, and told the guy, and he was all like "well okay, i have to go now", and i bought a new mobo off new egg for like 50 bucks not sure which one it is, too lazy to check

If you'd go past the first page and read the thread you could probably better assist him, not to mention see he alrady fixed the prob

Thanks for the coaching... If you will notice, he posted one minute before me, so we were typing at the same time. ;) :p
Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back