By craigdexter1
Mar 18, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This thing gets HOT! I downloaded PCWizard and it states-
    Core 1=55c
    Core 2=52c
    CPU = 127c

The issue started when the system would shut down during game play. The Biostar board has a thermal protection setting at 70c and shuts the pc down when I guess the cores reach that mark.
    When I play with the case panel off- No Problem.
    Put it on and it shuts down in 5 minutes of play.
    the CPU HS and fan is your basic aluminum finned/ fan that you would see on any run of the mill CPU. Apparently the 6400+ is a heat beast!

I got this from Newegg on the way-

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16835124017

I also plan on some case modification. Venting the top of the case. Adding a side intake. There are no spots for fans on the box. A larger, fan-friendly case in in the works.
    Think the modifications and fixes are on target.
    Any Suggestions?
  2. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

The 6400+ is definitely a heat beast, but that 127C figure is wrong. Sounds as if your case is too small. Do you have plenty of room around the cpu cooler? Double-check the heat-sink alignment and thermal paste... remembering that too much thermal paste is as bad as too little. Thick thermal paste can act as an insulator.
    Do you have a way to monitor your fan rpms?
  3. craigdexter1

craigdexter1 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 138

The case is smallish. Planety of room around the cpu though. I had the AMD cool & quiet mode enabled but I read in a forum that it should be disbled. Now the CPU fan runs full tilt all the time. removed and reapplied the thermal paste. This time I used a silver based non-silicone formula. I just talked to the guy who owns it and he has been playing all morning with the case panels off and it has been fine for him.
    I will make the case mods as listed and I think I will be ok.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.