AMD announces the Radeon RX 6600 XT, a $379 "1080p beast" that arrives on August 11

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? After months of rumors, leaks, and speculation, AMD has just officially announced the Radeon RX 6600 XT, describing the card as a “1080p” beast. It launches on August 11, which lines up with reports from earlier this month, and has an MSRP of $379—whether you’ll find one for that price remains to be seen.

AMD isn’t making any Radeon RX 6600 XT reference cards, leaving it to AIB (add-in board) partners such as ASRock, ASUS, Biostar, Gigabyte, MSI, PowerColor, Sapphire, XFX and Yeston. Reports claim there should be better availability than what we’ve previously seen with new graphics card launches, but don't hold your breath.

Most of what we’ve heard about the RX 6600 XT over the last few months has proved accurate: it features the Navi 23 GPU found in the Radeon Pro W6600/M and RX 6600M mobile card, though it uses the full die, which means 32 Compute Units (CUs) for a total of 2,048 streaming processors (GPU cores). That’s just eight CUs fewer than the Navi 22-based Radeon RX 6700 XT.

Other RX 6600 XT specs include 32 ray accelerators, 9.7 TFLOPS of FP32 compute, a 128-bit memory interface with 8GB of GDDR6 16Gbps memory, 256GBps of bandwidth, 32MB of Infinity Cache, and a 160W TDP. AMD recommends a PSU of at least 500W, and the cards require an 8-pin connector.

As with the other RX 6000 line, the Radeon 6600 XT boasts some impressive speeds—a game clock of 2,359MHz and a boost clock of 2,589MHz.

AMD is positioning the Radeon RX 6600 XT as a direct competitor to the RTX 3060 12GB when it comes to 1080p gaming. The company’s charts, which should always be taken with a grain of salt, claim up to 15% higher FPS performance than its green rival, with Horizon Zero Dawn the only game where it can’t beat the RTX 3060.

AMD says the Radeon RX 6600 XT also has the edge in esports titles. Only Valorant runs marginally faster on the RTX 3060. The company does note that it has enabled Smart Access Memory (SAM) on the RX 6600 XT and Resizable BAR on the RTX 3060 for all these gaming tests.

The upcoming Radeon card also offers up to 1.7x more performance compared to the previous generation cards.

With the launch just over a week and a half away, we’ll soon find out if the RX 6600 XT lives up to AMD’s claims of price, performance, and availability.

Permalink to story.

Too expensive. To be honest, if I can find a RTX 3060 at MSRP, I would rather buy the RTX 3060 than this. It is slower based on the list of games that AMD selected, but I am pretty sure there are titles that Nvidia's card will have an advantage over this 6600 XT.

Too expensive. To be honest, if I can find a RTX 3060 at MSRP, I would rather buy the RTX 3060 than this. It is slower based on the list of games that AMD selected, but I am pretty sure there are titles that Nvidia's card will have an advantage over this 6600 XT.
Given that 6700XT is sometimes slower than RTX 3060 TI, you might be right. Overall 6600XT might be very close to RTX 3060, maybe within 5%, and in this case the extra $50 is not worth it.

I suspect a hidden secret with this one....It may become the first card from AMD with DP 2.0. August update from AMD + nVidia for DP 2.0 has been in rumours for some time.

If this has the same performance as the 5700XT and a similar price, then this is an insult to consumers. The 5700XT probably games better at 1440p.
I'd really like to see this head to head against the RX 5700XT mainly due to the similar pricing.

"AMD is positioning the Radeon RX 6600 XT as a direct competitor to the RTX 3060 12GB when it comes to 1080p gaming. The company’s charts, which should always be taken with a grain of salt, claim up to 15% higher FPS performance than its green rival, with Horizon Zero Dawn the only game where it can’t beat the RTX 3060."

Yes, everything on the internet, including reviews, should be taken with a grain of salt. Or in Techspot's case, seasoned salt.

Totally agree on the too expensive part.

That said, do you believe that the 3060‘s msrp is in any way realistic (not taking the current market situation into account), I.e. that we‘ll see (m)any 3060 cards for that price ?

Either way, I‘m not interested at those prices.

I'll just get a 3060? I can't find stock of a 2060 let alone a 3060. I've got online shops trying to sell me a 1160 for £400. Just waiting on stocks to come back in and prices to settle down again
Exactly. "Arrives" on 11th August where? scalperwarehousedotcom or minercitydotcom? $380 usually means £360-£380 which means +£600 UK scalper prices. No thank you. I'm keeping my GTX 1660 (bought for £159) until sanity returns by which time I feel we'll be at the tail end of the 6000 / 3000 generation lifespan that many people have already written off anyway.

Last edited:
Totally agree on the too expensive part.

That said, do you believe that the 3060‘s msrp is in any way realistic (not taking the current market situation into account), I.e. that we‘ll see (m)any 3060 cards for that price ?

Either way, I‘m not interested at those prices.
I don't understand why you guys are comparing video cards based on MSRP when MSRP doesn't exist any more. If both cards were available to buy at MSRP, then you can compare benchmarks for the games you play and make comparisons, but how can you form an opinion about a video card without a street price and without third party reviews?

I am not comparing them on msrp which tbh are bad. What I am saying is that some msrp may be unrealistic, I.e. there is the possibility that we won‘t be seeing $329 3060 unless there is a major GPU market crash (I.e. the exact opposite of what we are seeing now) or they are EOL.

But yes, ‘value‘ comparisons should be made at street prices. Not that I would buy anything at them. Even $379 is imo way too much for a card that‘s targeted at 1080p.

The 5600X debuted at $429CAD and after a price reduction and a sale, it can be had for $80 below retail right now.
Let's hope the same happens with Radeon cards. I might consider an RX 6800 if it's cheap enough.

1. All nvidia and AMD GPUs are too expensive this generation (also Turing for nvidia), even at MSRP, with the exception of 3080 and RX 6800XT.
2. All nvidia and AMD GPUs are insanely expensive at their actual street/shop price, so the 3060 being cheaper is an illusion, it is/will be the same price or more expensive (because nvidia) than the RX 6600XT.

Stil waiting on a "2160p beast".
You need to wait for next gen for that.

We are literally living in a paper launch age. A lot of it is out of AMD/Nvidia's control but it is what it is. And then you add scalper's prices to that issue.

Your point being if you can find a RYX 3060 AR $329 Msrp.

You won't. I was in the evga wait list for the rtx 3060 and they are only producing 399 Rtx 3060 and with taxes it was like 450.

Is the card good? Depends on the price you find it at.
Is the price good? Depends on the price you find it at.

There's really no apple to apple comparison here. If you're desperate, buy whatever you can find.

So you're saying my 980ti needs to keep on working?
If you game at 1080p, and you're not desperate for ray tracing, then why not ? you could wait at least until the next generation, which is rumored to be a lot better than this one.

So, 9.7 teraflops, it is somewhat more powerful than a ps5. whilst the xbox series x is comparable to a 6700xt.

Back