TechSpot

amd athlon 1.3ghz???

By dae_amp_ika_dtp
Sep 13, 2006
  1. anyone know where i can find one of these for a good price? non amd athlon xp version. new, or good condition....

2. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,388

Just wondering... but why would you possibly want such a very old chip as a 1.3 T-Bird?? They can probably found on ebay... but WHY do you want it?

3. dae_amp_ika_dtp

dae_amp_ika_dtp TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 42

i just want to max out my guest computer. i tried ebay. and no luck. i need a non xp model. they have a 1.2 on ebay. but my guest computer came with a 900mhz athlon. so i want to max it out with a 1.3 so it would be like 400mhz faster instead of only 300 mhz. im putting 1gig of ram in it. it can take 1.5gb but i think its fine with 1gig for now.

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

I believe 1.4 was the fastest Thunderbird.. You can't find these anywhere because small quantities were made (AMD shifted to XP) and there are/were many people who want to max out their systems.

Are you sure you can't put an XP in your board? Even with a BIOS update?

5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

most of the thunderbird mobos could not handle the later XP CPU upgrades.

If I remember correctly there were a few 1.6 ghz thunderbirds out there. very rare though.
    in any case, older athlon cpus crop up on ebay from time to time. Be patient.

6. dae_amp_ika_dtp

dae_amp_ika_dtp TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 42

yeah my mombo cant support the xp series. im just gona go with the 1.2 since they got it on ebay. the 1.3's are there time to time. but i just wana get this upgrade over with. thanks for all your help.

7. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

Although I strongly discourage overclocking, it is a well-known fact that the thunderbirds were very overclockable.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.