AMD Athlon 7750+ can't go over 2.9GHz

mbobera323

Hi,
I'm new on this forum, also a begginer with overclocking. I was searching many other forums but still didn't find answer to my questions.. Hope I'll get them here.
My AMD Athlon x2 7750+ BE wich I'm trying to overclok can't go over 2.9 ghz. I have only raised multipler from 13.5 to 14.5, and if I try to go higher,system crashes on startup or during the benchmark. I saw many guys got same cpu OC-ed @ 3.2 Ghz +.
My temp seem to be fine, I'ts 31C right now. I also tried raising the bus speed, but I can only get my PC stable at 204mhz bus speed. I'm currently running on stock voltage (1.325V in BIOS,cpu-z reporting it as 1.376V)and I tried pushing it up,but the system would still crash. I also tried replacing the heatsink but that would bring no change.My sytem:
Gigabyte GA-M52L-S3 board
AMD Athlon 7750 BE @ 2.9ghz
3x 1gb RAM 667mhz
Gainward GeForce gt430 1GB 700/m700/1400 overclocked @ 825/m910/1650
2x 80gb Sata,Ata hard drives
420W power supply
I'd like to notice that on my motherbord it sais:
(Note) If you install an AMD AM3/AM2+ CPU on AM2 motherboard, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0(5200 MT/s) to HT1.0 (2000 MT/s); however, the frequency of AM2+ CPU will not be impacted.
Maybe that's the problem,so if anyone has any idea how to help me please replay.
Thanks in advance and sorry if any language misstakes.

I had a very similar problem with my very similar rig.

What I did was bump down the RAM freq by 1 step (e.g. 800 MHz to 600 MHz, assuming your RAM speeds increase in sync with your CPU), and raise the V-core by smallest possible step allowed by the mobo. (First you should make sure your CPU temps aren't skyrocketing. Never should you go above 60C in any case.)
Bingo! I'm on 3.4 GHz from 2.7 GHz. You can check my system specs in my profile to compare our rig.
Sempron is an AM3 CPU, but my mobo works best with AM2+. Same HT-Link problem.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

P.s.: I disclaim any responsibility for roasted CPUs!

Thank You very much for your reply.

I went to bios setup, but there is no settings for memory.Maybe my mobo doesn't support memory clock changing, there are only settings for:
CPU Bus speed -204
CPU Clock ratio - x14.5
Memory controller freq. - auto (1800 mhz)
CPU vcore - normal (1.3250V)
Pci-e clock - 105mhz
Ht-Link voltage - Normal
Memory Voltage- Normal
So is there any other way for me to change memory clock?

Thanks for help,

Cheers :D

Try changing the "Memory controller freq." to a smaller value or get faster RAM modules to run at the frequency specified.

DDR = Double Data Rate
DDR 800 will operate at 1600 MHz, a faster frequency will require a faster RAM module.

Yes, cliffordcooley's way is also correct, but assuming you're overclocking BECAUSE you don't want to buy new hardware, we shouldn't spend more money. Try stepping up the voltage by one step. Keep an eye on the temperatures.
Good luck.

Also try posting your problem at overclockers.com. Dedicated site, you know.

And yes, the Memory Controller Freq. is your North Bridge, which controls the transfer speed between the CPU and RAM and should be neither too fast nor too slow. The 2nd highest frequency is your safest bet.

Ok, I started Windows without BSOD at x15 multipler, it runs ok but when playing games like Battlefield 3,GTA 4,Crysis 2 those games get crashed..so I tried pushing voltage 1 step up to 1.350V and i think i got a new OC @ 3060 mhz. Temps are fine too. Today I will be performing some tests to check stability and temps and I'll report what I've done.
And yeah I also tried goin' for 15.5 multipler but just to boot windows i had to set voltage to 1.4V so my temps were kinda high..62C at full load and my cpu's max operating temp is 73C so i put the multipler back to 15x.

Thanks for helping me guys :D

Surely you are welcome. :)
And yes, stress-testing the system was a good call. Try Prime 95 (detects faults within seconds), SuperPI or OCCT or all. Burn-in for the night for foolproof results*. 'Cause just because you can get into Windows doesn't mean it's stable.

*subjective term

OK,here are is the update,

Tried raising voltage to 1.350V,1.3750V and was getting blue screen after few hours of testing in games and apps you suggested me,so i set voltage to 1.4v and did all the test,it seems to be fine..But there a new problem now-temp is going too high and when it reach 73C the application that is using cpu gets crashed to prevent overheating. I think this is prob with my mobo,because other guys OCed this cpu much higher with just 1.4v,and I'm on 1.4V just for 3ghz...I have one more stock AMD cooler from my old cpu,so I'll try replacing the current AMD stock one and see what happens..

Cheers :)

I'm currently having the beginning of the hot and humid summer in this part of mother Earth, so I've reverted back to 3GHz, but I'm on 3.46V (temps are 43C max). i don't understand why you need to go so high...1.4V IS indeed high. By Joules' law, the heat generated is directly proportional to the square of the current passing through a conductor. That explains the high temps. So it is either the mobo miscalculating the temps (VERY common with AMD-based mobos), or a failing cooling system. Make sure you have correctly applied thermal paste ant your case's airflow is cool & smooth.

I need to set so high voltage because if lower i get blue screens. I raplaced my heatsink and thermalpaste,and the temps are still same. My PC is in opened box bcos lower temps that way. So maybe it's my mobo misscalculating the temps..Or maybe this is the max OC in my case.

Here's the pic of it. I don't know what kind is it.

and here's cpu stock cooler pic.

Attachments

• 23022012076.jpg
    23022012076.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 23022012078.jpg
    23022012078.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 4
Today I was at my friend's and tried OCing his cpu,when sytem became unstable we just raised RAM clock speed and it became stable..I think that method would help me too,but I don't have such an option in my BIOS. So is there any software or something that I could OC RAM with.

Back