AMD confirms Zen 5-based Ryzen 8000 series AM5 family and Navi 3.5 graphics

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: AMD in a recent 'Meet the Experts' partner webinar shared an updated desktop socket roadmap that sheds a bit of light on where the chipmaker will be heading in the next couple of years. Socket AM5 (LGA 1718), which debuted late last year, will stick around until at least 2026 and will support new CPU core and graphics upgrades on an annual cadence. At that rate, we could see at least two more Ryzen desktop generations for the socket before it gets replaced by something newer.

The roadmap also references AMD Ryzen 8000 Series that will utilize Zen 5 and Navi 3.5 architectures – the first time AMD has publicly confirmed Ryzen 8000 details.

It is not uncommon for AMD to skip entire "generations" when numbering its desktop parts. Most recently, the company jumped over the 6000 series and went from Ryzen 5000 directly to Ryzen 7000. Is there anything that can be gleaned from reading between the lines here? Maybe.

What appears more certain is that Navi 3.5 will be an incremental upgrade to AMD's graphics architecture. Details were not provided, but this could simply be a die shrink of Navi 3 to boost clock speeds and improve efficiency.

Earlier roadmaps have pointed to the next Ryzen desktop series carrying the codename Granite Ridge (mobile platforms are reportedly codenamed Strix Point). A leak from last month claimed Granite Ridge will top out at 16 cores / 32 threads with a max TDP of 170 watts, and will be built on TSMC's N3E or N3P manufacturing node. Cache levels will reportedly mirror those of their Zen 4 predecessors but unfortunately, details like clock speeds were not shared.

According to the leak, which is said to have come from a document supplied to a board partner, Ryzen 8000 series chips will launch sometime in the second half of 2024.

The full slide deck for the Meet the Experts showcase is available online but mostly caters to the server crowd.

Permalink to story.

What appears more certain is that Navi 3.5 will be an incremental upgrade to AMD's graphics architecture. Details were not provided, but this could simply be a die shrink of Navi 3 to boost clock speeds and improve efficiency.

A few months ago I had a talk with someone about the performance numbers the 7900xtx and why it wasn't as good as what AMD had said it was going to be. AMD adamantly denies that this hardware bug exists however, the solution for this hardware bug was to clock the card lower than they intended, which is why the performance slides AMD showed didn't match up with real world performance. I find it interesting that it is now being called Navi 3.5 as the person I talked to at AMD referred to it as "RDNA 3.5". While this chip is most likely going to be clocked higher this is because they fixed the hardware bug that causes stability problems.

The fact the slide talks about AM5 support into 2026 is ammunition for the community to ensure that it actually happens. That further confirms AM5 will host at least two more full generations beyond Zen 4.

Got to say I am pleased this has been outlined as still the plan after investing heavily into AM5 earlier this year. Plenty of issues and problems so far but that's expected for all early adopters.

Looking at that roadmap for Zen CPU's, wasn't Zen 4 released in 2022? Once again AMD rushed or what?

And for GPU's I really hope they get their time and not hype expectations again and fail to provide like RDNA3.
But they more and more look like when Compute arch is needed they release Gaming and the other way around.
Remember Vega?

A few months ago I had a talk with someone about the performance numbers the 7900xtx and why it wasn't as good as what AMD had said it was going to be. AMD adamantly denies that this hardware bug exists however, the solution for this hardware bug was to clock the card lower than they intended, which is why the performance slides AMD showed didn't match up with real world performance. I find it interesting that it is now being called Navi 3.5 as the person I talked to at AMD referred to it as "RDNA 3.5". While this chip is most likely going to be clocked higher this is because they fixed the hardware bug that causes stability problems.
It is most likely a "fixed" version of navi 3, unless... they couldn't fix it and just moved on to navi 4 and this is just a die shrink :)

Is it me or there an almost 2 year gap between Ryzen 7000 series and Ryzen 8000 series?
The gap between the previous generations seemed smaller.

Is it me or there an almost 2 year gap between Ryzen 7000 series and Ryzen 8000 series?
The gap between the previous generations seemed smaller.
Yes looks that way and since this platform is 2022-2026 this means 2-3 gens max per socket, not 4 like AM4 if we count Zen+.

The fact the slide talks about AM5 support into 2026 is ammunition for the community to ensure that it actually happens. That further confirms AM5 will host at least two more full generations beyond Zen 4.

Got to say I am pleased this has been outlined as still the plan after investing heavily into AM5 earlier this year. Plenty of issues and problems so far but that's expected for all early adopters.

Sorry to bust your bubble but Zen 6 will be on AM6 not AM5 according to sources inside AMD. AMD going down Intel's route of only 2 generations for a socket, for AM5.

Zen 6 is a going Big.little and will be a quite different architecture, it was too much to expect it to retain AM5 socket.

Sorry to bust your bubble but Zen 6 will be on AM6 not AM5 according to sources inside AMD. AMD going down Intel's route of only 2 generations for a socket, for AM5.

Zen 6 is a going Big.little and will be a quite different architecture, it was too much to expect it to retain AM5 socket.
AMD slide above does say "AM5 will support CPU core and graphics upgrade on annual cadence."

AMD's slide literally says it will scale into 2026. This means that we are looking at at least four AM5 processor families for the new socket including the existing Zen 4-based Ryzen 7000 CPUs.

yeah, MLID claims there was an artifacting issue that would almost always show up after playing for a couple hours or so. I'm guessing they'll release a 7950 XTX that's around 15% faster than the 7900 XTX

RDNA3.5 respin has rumored to deal with infinity fabric...
AMD's "bug" is actually a manufacturing bug that hinders RDNA3's ability to clock fully. A respin with some architectural movements was needed.

But during that time... and with RTX40 flopping so hard... AMD didn't feel the need to rush out a new die and are instead fending off the gimmicktry-laden RTX sku with lower priced RDNA2 GPU's... that beat NVidia's cards on price/performance.

AMD is in a tough spot on whether to release NAVI32 at all....
Knowing that AM5's new APU using 40 CU of RDNA3.5 will have more performance than Navi33. And knowing there is ZERo need to release NAVI32 to fill in such a small gap, in that RDNA2 is filling and currently outselling NVidia in.

So AMD just has to wait and watch RTX 40 flop more... and ride out Navi31 & Navi33. I suspect that Navi32 utilizing a much higher frequency has as much performance as the 7900xt... using a smaller package and AMD doesn't want to upset those who already bought the 7900 series.

So AMD will just keep selling the 6800 & 6900 series for less than RTX cards.... straining NVidia's RTX40 channels.

40CU APU from AMD will completely destroy budget dGPU sales. (& it's coming in less than 8 months.) AMD's target is when iNTEL released their LGA1851 socket in about 8 months time...

Coincidence..?

Back