AMD Zen 6 CPUs might integrate RDNA 5 for improved iGPU performance

Daniel Sims

Staff
Rumor mill: Although AMD has been integrating graphics into recent generations of its mainstream desktop CPUs, that implementation has been somewhat of an afterthought, with APUs receiving the company's best iGPUs. However, a reliable source suggests that this practice might change with Zen 6.

Known leaker Everest recently claimed that Zen 6, a future lineup of AMD Ryzen CPUs, will incorporate graphics hardware based on RDNA 5. If true, the rumor indicates a significant shift in Team Red's approach to integrated graphics.

AMD recently launched the Ryzen 8000 series of Zen 4 APUs, featuring RDNA 3-based integrated graphics chips. While the Ryzen 8000 APUs processors deliver impressive iGPU performance, some users might still prefer the earlier Ryzen 7000 CPUs, despite their inclusion of only two RDNA 2-based cores, which severely limits their integrated graphics performance.

Furthermore, there is no evidence that Zen 5 / Ryzen 9000 processors, expected later this year, will be any different. Reports indicate that AMD's next major processor lineup features the same chiplet design, core count, and IO-die as Zen 4, with performance improvements coming from other areas.

Skipping multiple generations of RDNA graphics could indicate an intention to equip Ryzen processors with much stronger iGPUs. It remains to be seen how this shift will affect future APUs, as their significance could wane if other products offer adequate graphics capabilities.

The development of future game consoles is another aspect to consider in relation to upcoming AMD hardware. Everest previously claimed that Sony's next-generation PlayStation 6 would utilize Zen 6 and RDNA 5. Microsoft might also opt for the same generation of AMD graphics for its next Xbox console. Targeting consoles would give RDNA 5 greater importance in AMD's roadmap than RDNA 4.

Regarding RDNA 4, which AMD might unveil sometime in 2024, it is suggested that it will only target mid-range products. This approach could mirror the strategy of RDNA 1, which lacked enthusiast-class desktop GPUs.

Not much else is known regarding Zen 6. Everest refers to the lineup as "Medusa," but it has previously carried the codename "Morpheus." It's expected to feature a 2.5D interconnect for significantly increased bandwidth and use TSMC's upcoming 2nm process node. DigiTimes recently reported that TSMC plans to begin 2nm risk production in late 2024, with mass production hopefully following next year, so Zen 6 could emerge in 2025 or 2026.

Permalink to story.

If that’s the new Zen 6 IO die, my money’s on a new socket to go with it. 2025 will probably be Zen 5 X3D and/or Zen 5 APU to bring AM5 to a close.

If that’s the new Zen 6 IO die, my money’s on a new socket to go with it. 2025 will probably be Zen 5 X3D and/or Zen 5 APU to bring AM5 to a close.
If they don't change the DDR5 memory controller and still use the same number of PCIe 5.0 lanes then I don't see why they would change the socket (power delivery should also not be a problem for them).

Or maybe they made major changes to the CPU architecture and chiplet layout which make it very hard to use the same socket pin layout.

Add the new laptop (dual or quad channel) ram (camm2) slot dedicated for iGPU, then we choose how much and how fast ram. This is another reason Intel will stay with making both dGPU and iGPU.

Or maybe they made major changes to the CPU architecture and chiplet layout which make it very hard to use the same socket pin layout.

I bet on AM5... AM4 withstand from 2016 and still relevant (new AM4 products), so 8 years and still counting. I don't think AMD will leave AM5 after just 2 years.

Zen 4 to Zen 6 is nearly 5 years.
Zen 1 started on 2016, Zen 1+ 2018, Zen 2 2019, Zen 3 2020 and finally Zen 3D on 2021, all on socket AM4, and we are on AM4 end of life at 2024 still getting somewhat new skus. That's why I still bet on AM5 for Zen 6.

Have you any plans to test the 8600g Techspot. I know you were unimpressed with the 8700g but the 8600g is £100 cheaper so does it make any more sense or is that a dud too?

Have you any plans to test the 8600g Techspot. I know you were unimpressed with the 8700g but the 8600g is £100 cheaper so does it make any more sense or is that a dud too?

You can get more gaming speed buying CPU without GPU plus discrete card so 8600G will suck too using Techspot logic.

I think that when it's price drop and AM5 become more widespread a 8600g will make a lot of sense in entry level builds or the basic PC for office and media consumption, as does 5600g now.

I bet on AM5... AM4 withstand from 2016 and still relevant (new AM4 products), so 8 years and still counting. I don't think AMD will leave AM5 after just 2 years.
Zen 1 started on 2016, Zen 1+ 2018, Zen 2 2019, Zen 3 2020 and finally Zen 3D on 2021, all on socket AM4, and we are on AM4 end of life at 2024 still getting somewhat new skus. That's why I still bet on AM5 for Zen 6.

If it’s not a new uarch or radically different sku like X3D or APU I don’t count it as a “new release”, it’s more of them trying to clear out stock imo.

If they don't change the DDR5 memory controller and still use the same number of PCIe 5.0 lanes then I don't see why they would change the socket (power delivery should also not be a problem for them).

I’m betting on the latter due to the IO die change. But as others have said above AMD did slightly extend AM4 to 2021 (they didn’t release any new families after that) so Zen 6 on AM5 in 2026 wouldn’t totally surprise me.

Back