AMD cooking up two new desktop platforms, Leo and Dorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

According to sources cited by DigiTimes, AMD plans to announce two new desktop platforms in May of next year. The two platforms are said to be named Leo and Dorado, the former of which will target the high-end segment, and the latter will be more mainstream.

It is expected that Leo will be comprised of current 45nm Phenom II processors, future six-core Thuban desktop chips, and an 890FX or 890GX northbridge with an SB850 southbridge. The Tech Report notes the 890GX chipset is likely to contain integrated graphics.

Meanwhile, Dorado will supposedly consist of an Athlon II processor, 880G northbridge (also likely packing a graphics chip) and SB810 southbridge. AMD's DirectX 11-capable Radeon HD 5000-series graphics cards are also said to be a part of both new platforms.

As one would expect, AMD is keeping quiet, declining the opportunity to comment on its upcoming products.

Permalink to story.

This is funny pulling a rumor from the tech report, i consider techspot a bigger site than theirs. Most likely true though.

The rumor was pulled from DigiTimes (who is Tech Report's source as well), I simply gave Tech Report credit for noting that the 890GX chipset will probably include integrated graphics -- something I hadn't thought to include on my own.

That six-core thurban sounds interesting, but the number of cores keeps multiplying so fast, its crazy. I mean, AMD is planning on phasing out its current Phenom II X4s for more efficient ones, and I haven't even had the time to check out their current ones.

When will the core race come to the point that consumers won't be able to multitask enough to keep up with their processor's abilities? Plus, maybe I'm behind on things, but it seems like mainstream software is just beginning to effectively utilize 2 cores, let alone 4, or six...

I have an older HP that has a Pentium D 2.6 ghz and I find it has plenty of power for all the multitasking I can throw at it...

Well this seems to be a pleasant surprise from AMD , definitely gonna be interesting to see what AMD got in store for us , eh ?

AMD always seems to be the underdog but I keep pulling for them. They help make computer life interesting.

I wonder if these chipsets will support USB 3.0?

Vicenarian said:
That six-core thurban sounds interesting, but the number of cores keeps multiplying so fast, its crazy. I mean, AMD is planning on phasing out its current Phenom II X4s for more efficient ones, and I haven't even had the time to check out their current ones.

hexacore...cool, but I read that octocores were meant to be released this year...that's rumours for ye.

Vicenarian said:
When will the core race come to the point that consumers won't be able to multitask enough to keep up with their processor's abilities? Plus, maybe I'm behind on things, but it seems like mainstream software is just beginning to effectively utilize 2 cores, let alone 4, or six...

Multi threaded programming is not an easy thing to execute and not easy = costly (from a business perspective). As far as I'm aware, most apps that need it (e.g. movie editing, games) do utilise multi core processors quite well, but like I said it's costly, so only the well off developers can afford to spend the extra time implementing it as apposed to trying to ship their product ASAP to get some money out of it.

As for the article, pretty tidy sounding setups, didn't see any price quotes in the article though...

Leo and Dorado sounds like a cartoon show, none the less "high-end segment" must mean expensive yet powerful hopefully affordable.

Both of them are sounding so good, the latter should be the best for a nice HTPC, and the first, yummy, ican't wait to see a six core machine at work :p . We should also get better prices for older CPU's withe the launch of new ones.

mailpup said:
AMD always seems to be the underdog but I keep pulling for them. They help make computer life interesting.

I wonder if these chipsets will support USB 3.0?

No they won't. The 800 series will have a maximum of 14 USB 2.0 (700 series had only 12). If you want more details just wiki them.

AMD always give some surprise. I really don't understand, do we really need this many cores. Not all of us probably need this. But definitely there will people who is going to get benefits from here.

They'd better hurry to produce more Radeon HD 58x0 cards if they want them to be part of their new platform! :)

There are always new motherboard announcements for the new year. The only surprise is the release date is May instead of March.
I expect they will both have USB 3.0, as AMD talk is pointing that way... They are not going to tell the public anything that will reduce the sales of current releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back