TechSpot

AMD CPUs...

By engel_wolf
Oct 27, 2004
  1. Does any one know if there will ever be anything past the Athlon XP 3200+, or are the 64 bit processers where its at now? I did a bit of googling, but I can't seem to find anything on the subject. No real reason, just wondering...

2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

You need to be a bit more specific.

"Will there be anymore AthlonXP on Socket-A after the 3200 ?"
    No.

"Will there be anymore AMD CPUs on Socket-A after the 3200 ?"
    Yes. AMD will release more Sempron CPUs on the Socket-A platform.

Are the 64 bit processers where its at now?
    Yes. Athlon64 is AMD's new mainstream part. Newer parts will be released on the Socket-939 platform. The Socket-754 is also available but it currently tops out at 3700+ & there are no plans on introducing faster parts on that platform. It will soon be a Sempron only platform, similar to what is happening with the Socket-A platform right now.

3. engel_wolf

engel_wolf TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 43

I meant in the XP line of CPUs.

4. Charles Hammond

Charles Hammond TS Rookie Posts: 164

As far as I know 3200 is the fastest XP Processor.

The Sempron processors are XP processors but with a little less L2 Cache that run at 166 Mhz. They are meant to compete with Celerons. However, the Sempron 3100 is a 64 bit Celeron and requires an Athlon 64 Motherboard.

I suggest you compare the cost of using the XP3200 and a new Athlon 64 Processor.

5. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

I think he meant "the 3100+ Sempron is an Athlon64 with 256kb of L2 cache & no AMD64 instructions whatsoever & is meant to compete with the Celeron D". ;)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.