AMD CPUs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

engel_wolf

Does any one know if there will ever be anything past the Athlon XP 3200+, or are the 64 bit processers where its at now? I did a bit of googling, but I can't seem to find anything on the subject. No real reason, just wondering...

You need to be a bit more specific.

"Will there be anymore AthlonXP on Socket-A after the 3200 ?"
No.

"Will there be anymore AMD CPUs on Socket-A after the 3200 ?"
Yes. AMD will release more Sempron CPUs on the Socket-A platform.

Are the 64 bit processers where its at now?
Yes. Athlon64 is AMD's new mainstream part. Newer parts will be released on the Socket-939 platform. The Socket-754 is also available but it currently tops out at 3700+ & there are no plans on introducing faster parts on that platform. It will soon be a Sempron only platform, similar to what is happening with the Socket-A platform right now.

As far as I know 3200 is the fastest XP Processor.

The Sempron processors are XP processors but with a little less L2 Cache that run at 166 Mhz. They are meant to compete with Celerons. However, the Sempron 3100 is a 64 bit Celeron and requires an Athlon 64 Motherboard.

I suggest you compare the cost of using the XP3200 and a new Athlon 64 Processor.

Charles Hammond said:
However, the Sempron 3100 is a 64 bit Celeron and requires an Athlon 64 Motherboard.

I think he meant "the 3100+ Sempron is an Athlon64 with 256kb of L2 cache & no AMD64 instructions whatsoever & is meant to compete with the Celeron D". ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back