TechSpot

AMD defends CPU market share with new round of price cuts

By Jos
Aug 19, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. AMD has quietly reduced prices for a handful of its desktop Phenom II and Athlon II processors this week in an attempt to defend its market share against competition from Intel. The discounts apply mostly to the higher-clocked options in each processor class. For example, those looking to build an affordable quad-core system can now get their hands on the 3.0GHz Athlon II X4 640 for just $100 -- an 18% drop from the previous price of $122.

Read the whole story

2. g4mer

g4mer TS Enthusiast Posts: 340

AMD FTW !!

3. PanicX

PanicX TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 830

Not very surprising. Now if Intel cut prices that'd be news worthy.

4. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Maniac Posts: 431   +8

Hey, a price drop is nonetheless a price drop for a CPU that is competant and works quite well for most of the population that doesn't want to pay more for better performance, which Intel definitely has. Personally I wouldn't mind getting my hands on the Athlon XII 640. My dad's desktop has a 620 and it runs quite well with Windows 7. Overclock it JUST a touch and you have yourself a decent system.

5. thatguyandrew92

thatguyandrew92 TS Rookie Posts: 118

I wish this would make Intel drop the prices. But I am doubtful. Even with higher prices their processors sell like mad.

6. DokkRokken

DokkRokken TS Rookie Posts: 275

145 bucks for a 955 is a mighty fine deal for a gaming rig! Paired up with a GTX 460, and you've have a heck of a machine for a bargain price.

7. WizardBodill

WizardBodill TS Rookie

come on guys just buy intel and get done with.

8. WizardBodill

WizardBodill TS Rookie

Yeah i own one. dont care the price.

9. TheQuestian

TheQuestian TS Rookie

+1. I'm running a new Intel system at the moment, but I've been keeping my eye on the value on the 955. It just keeps getting better. For friends/relatives looking to build sub-$700 gaming machines, stuff like this is great news.

10. edison5do

edison5do TS Rookie Posts: 239

Nice time to chage my Athlon X3 for something better...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.