AMD FSR 3 debuts in Forspoken and Immortals of Aveum, also heading to consoles

Daniel Sims

Staff
Forward-looking: Gamers with AMD graphics cards have anxiously awaited the company's answer to Nvidia's DLSS 3 Frame Generation technology. Now that it's here, users with a broad range of GPUs have another tool for increasing gaming performance in some titles, but how the two solutions compare remains to be seen.

Forspoken and Immortals of Aveum received PC updates on Friday to take advantage of AMD's FSR 3. Ascendant Studios plans to implement the technology into the console versions of Immortals of Aveum. Several more games are to follow.

Like Nvidia's DLSS 3, FSR 3 evolved out of AMD's upscaling solution, adding the ability to insert new frames created using AI. While DLSS upscaling requires Nvidia's RTX graphics cards with DLSS 3 Frame Generation exclusive to the RTX 4000 series, FSR 3 supports recent GPUs from all vendors.

However, not all graphic cards are created equal. AMD recommends enabling its new tech on Radeon RX 5000, Nvidia RTX 2000, or later. Although FSR 3 will activate on older GPUs, it isn't officially supported.

The list of titles planning to add the feature includes Cyberpunk 2077, Squad, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Black Myth: Wukong, Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, and more. Moreover, the update applying FSR 3 to Forspoken also works with the free demo, allowing users to test it without purchasing the game.

According to AMD's metrics, its AI-generated frames and upscaling together can sometimes quadruple frame rates compared to playing games at native resolution. While the company doesn't offer numbers comparing the combination to upscaling alone, it does provide a chart claiming considerable gains for frame generation without upscaling.

Alongside FSR 3, AMD also introduced Native AA mode, equivalent to Nvidia's DLAA, which applies AI-based anti-aliasing to native-resolution presentations for maximum image quality. The company claims Frame Generation eats Native AA's performance cost to nearly double framerates.

Tech outlets, including TechSpot, will likely put FSR 3 through more rigorous testing and comparisons with DLSS 3 in the coming weeks. However, since Immortals of Aveum supports both frame generation methods, DSOGaming was able to publish an early face-off.

While FSR 3 posted slightly higher framerates than DLSS 3 at the same resolution, the website said DLSS 3 feels smoother and shows fewer visual artifacts. Interestingly, FSR 3 is compatible with Nvidia Reflex, which lowers latency and could ironically make FSR 3 perform better on Nvidia hardware than on AMD's chips.

However, Team Red's true advantage could emerge when FSR 3 comes to consoles. Although Ascendant Studios didn't provide a specific date, its implementation of FSR 3 on the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X version of Immortals of Aveum should give us our first look at how the tech performs outside the PC realm.

Permalink to story.

What is the point of doubling FPS number when it does not really contribute to a smoother gameplay experience. It is like you see your car speedometer showing 120 KM hour, but you are actually moving at 60? They are really just using software to skew the main number that people focus on. Again, such technology only benefits those who owns high end GPUs because the base FPS is high enough such that you don't get bogged down by the latency. For those with lower end GPUs hoping to get better gaming experience, unfortunately it does not help.

Amd always falls on Nvidia traps.
Yes, based on public opnion so far it is same as FSR 2 was to DLSS 2.
Meaning a worse version of DLSS 3.

But that is not the main issue.
Now, what will happen?
Amd has 15% gpu market share.
People won't upgrade to newer amd gpu as they can just use FSR3.

This is not how you do business.
Amd needs much better leadership with proper vision of the future.

So you're saying companies should make sure to screw over their own customers. Make sure new techs only work on new cards. Got it.
Um, FSR 3 is 7000 series only right now, just like DLSS 3 is 40 series only.
Exclusives and proprietary tech separate you from the competition. This is basic basic stuff man. AMD is riding the open source train because they can't develop anything worth keeping for themselves.

Mantle - gone
Raptr - gone
FSR2/3/FMF - inferior to DLSS2/3/3.5
ROCm - good luck

Exclusives and proprietary tech separate you from the competition. This is basic basic stuff man. AMD is riding the open source train because they can't develop anything worth keeping for themselves.

Mantle - gone
Raptr - gone
ROCm - good luck

You don't even know what you're talking about.

AMD created countless modern rendering technologies and hardware that built the industry into what it is today, the HBM that the AI market uses was an idea developed by AMD no less, and they kept it open to the market. You are so ignorant who thinks that these dark tactics of trying to close the market on closed technologies helps anything, even worse if he thinks that fake frames and upscaling is an advance, this is the biggest setback in the gaming industry of all time.

People are so blind it's disgusting.

Amd always falls on Nvidia traps.
Yes, based on public opnion so far it is same as FSR 2 was to DLSS 2.
Meaning a worse version of DLSS 3.

But that is not the main issue.
Now, what will happen?
Amd has 15% gpu market share.
People won't upgrade to newer amd gpu as they can just use FSR3.

This is not how you do business.
Amd needs much better leadership with proper vision of the future.
Or the glass is 85% full dlss 3.0 frame gen just became freesynced and potential buyers who were going to upgrade to 4000 series because of those ridiculous graphs of 300% better than dlss off can now try frame gen for themselves and not buy into the hype. As a 4090 owner since launch playing Most of the dlss 3 games with frame gen and now Phantom liberty dlc the frame gen added latency is not worth it imo. In Phantom liberty and Plagues tail requim the image did look slightly softer as well.
I wonder if Nvidia's talking points past week of dlss 10 has anything do with fsr 3.0 launching this week. Either way Nvidia will likely attempt to constantly fortify its position of dominance. If AMD keeps this up who knows some of those Blackwell features might bleed over to 4000 series.

You don't even know what you're talking about.

AMD created countless modern rendering technologies and hardware that built the industry into what it is today, the HBM that the AI market uses was an idea developed by AMD no less, and they kept it open to the market. You are so ignorant who thinks that these dark tactics of trying to close the market on closed technologies helps anything, even worse if he thinks that fake frames and upscaling is an advance, this is the biggest setback in the gaming industry of all time.

People are so blind it's disgusting.
980 Ti with GDDR5 was the better card vs Fury X HBM.
You can brag about AMD innovations like the rest as much as you want, but what AMD starts, its competition does better.

-Intel has had the better IMC since day one
-NVIDIA selling a lot of HBM2e and 3 and soon to be 3 Gen 2 with Micron with AMD only sampling MI300 right now. AMD still on HBM 2e with MI250. CoWoS packaging at TSMC is tight and AMD is clawing at scraps
-Intel is arguably doing chiplets/tiles better (up to 47 tiles on package with Ponte Vecchio and 4 on MTL + Foveros + EMIB packaging + PowerVIA coming soon)
-NVIDIA is doing upscaling better, power efficiency better, performance better, consistent launches better
-AMD is trash with software and are losing with their Open Source solutions
-Intel having AMX (AI inferencing) on every Xeon core going forward. MCR-DIMM. Possible 288-core SPF
-AMD is the budget brand on CPU and GPU side (expect the prices drops. don't pay full price)
-AMD consoles can't guarantee 1080p/60fps in 2023 when a 2070S that was the GPU the consoles were first compared to still can
-Intel will have GAA before TSMC. Intel has had chip supply wins for years vs Epyc CPU's (last time I checked intel was out shipping Epyc 7:1 per quarter)
-NVIDIA sells complete platforms, while AMD sells you components

Shall I keep going? I have more.

Last edited:
They're testing where game runs at 100fps already. Show me what it can do at 45.
"AMD itself recommends a specific use case for the technology: pre-interpolation, post-upscaling frame rate should run at a minimum of 60FPS, with AMD FSR 3 bumping that up to 120FPS."

AMD was talking about consoles here. I believe this applies to PC too.

Mantle - gone
Raptr - gone
ROCm - good luck
Mantle - lives on Vulkan and DX12
AMD Gaming Evolved ("raptr") - no idea, never used it, just like I never used the NVIDIA GeForce Experience
FSR2/3/FMF - it's here. somewhat lower in quality but available to more people, games, hardware
ROCm - gaining ground and compatibility, now entering (finally) consumer GPUs (add edit: on windows). (Anyway, I don't use it, I write the OpenCL code I need myself and use just a couple of small libraries, I don't use any CUDA so I don't need to "translate" anything either)

Last edited:
Mantle - lives on Vulkan and DX12
AMD Gaming Evolved - no idea, never used it, just like I never used the NVIDIA GeForce Experience
FSR2/3/FMF - it's here. somewhat lower in quality but available to more people, games, hardware
ROCm - gaining ground and compatibility, now entering (finally) consumer GPUs. (Anyway, I don't use it, I write the OpenCL code I need myself and use just a couple of small libraries, I don't use any CUDA so I don't need to "translate" anything either)
I think you're confused...

"Mantle - lives on Vulkan and DX12"

Mantle does NOT live on DirectX. That's a proprietary API developed by Microsoft.

"ROCm - gaining ground and compatibility, now entering (finally) consumer GPUs."

ROCm is an open software platform allowing researchers to tap the power of AMD Instinct™ accelerators to drive scientific discoveries. The ROCm platform is built on the foundation of open portability, supporting environments across multiple accelerator vendors and architectures.

So you're saying companies should make sure to screw over their own customers. Make sure new techs only work on new cards. Got it.
FSR 3 does not work properly without 7000 series. So, that is same thing as RTX 4000 with DLSS 3.

Why doesn't fmf work on rdna2 ? last time I was here, everyone said that feature segmentation is an nvidia only thing. I guess my 6800 will still be sitting in the box then, if it offers nothing better than my 3080.

Daniel Owen's got you covered

Not working with VRR ? dafuq...... gonna have tons of jitter.
it's useless without vrr support. they had a year to make this work, and it switches vrr off ?
I don't remember playing a game with freesync/g-sync off in the last 7-8 years.
Making this feature intended for locking 120fps+vsync is just making it totally useless.

FSR 3 does not work properly without 7000 series. So, that is same thing as RTX 4000 with DLSS 3.
fsr3 does not work properly at all if it switches vrr off.

Last edited:
I think you're confused...

"Mantle - lives on Vulkan and DX12"

Mantle does NOT live on DirectX. That's a proprietary API developed by Microsoft.

"ROCm - gaining ground and compatibility, now entering (finally) consumer GPUs."

ROCm is an open software platform allowing researchers to tap the power of AMD Instinct™ accelerators to drive scientific discoveries. The ROCm platform is built on the foundation of open portability, supporting environments across multiple accelerator vendors and architectures.

Both Vulkan and DX12 were created under the influence of AMD and both have some of the key features of mantle.

Both Vulkan and DX12 were created under the influence of AMD and both have some of the key features of mantle.
true, but giving developers more access to finetune things in dx12 turned out more to be just more work for them, and ultimately led to more games that run like crap for months until they are fixed.

true, but giving developers more access to finetune things in dx12 turned out more to be just more work for them, and ultimately led to more games that run like crap for months until they are fixed.
Most games from this transition era at least had DX11 as an alternative API. Now games are launched with bugs and poor optimization (Partly the fault of EU5) there's nothing to do about it.

Back