TechSpot

AMD, Intel gain GPU market share in Q2 2009

By Jos
Jul 27, 2009
  1. The GPU market continued its recovery in Q2 2009 following a slow second half last year in anticipation of a worldwide recession. The latest estimates from Jon Peddie Research suggest shipments climbed a whopping 31.3% from 74.8 million units in the first quarter of the year to 98.3 million in the second, with all major vendors showing improvements sequentially.

Read the whole story

2. ATI HD4770 is a true killer. AMD is gaining back gamers' heart and that's good news.

3. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +87

I keep forgetting that the chips built-in to a motherboard count as a GPU. I've always considered them as a freebie. They come with the expensive boards as a $10 add-on to the chipset, and are passable for the basic things that computers need to do. I have to get it out of my mind that the real GPU's are not just the discrete add-on card's for your laptop or workstation.

4. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 903   +52

Wow intel still has over 50% of the market.

5. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

From whom did they gain it... who's share dropped?

6. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,906   +90

ummm yeah, what raybay said...it sounds as if they all gained sales/revenue, but for one to gain market share....someone has to lose market share.

7. Jos

Jos TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 2,096   +66 Staff Member

AMD, Intel and Nvidia all increased their unit shipments. In terms of market share, however, only AMD (from 17.1% to 18.4%) and Intel (from 49.7% to 51.2%) gained while Nvidia's share dropped sequentially from 31.1% to 29.2%.

So, to answer your question, AMD and Intel's gains came mostly at Nvidia's expense.

Smaller GPU makers like SiS and VIA also saw drops. More info: http://jonpeddie.com/press-releases...-q209-intel-and-nvidia-also-show-great-gains/

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.