AMD not booting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right! This is the situation.

Had a power surge / PSU failure, Fried 2 HD's & MB. Took the CPU out had it trested works fine. DDR 400 RAm tested, OK.

New MB MSI KM400
New PSU
New HD
Old CPU AMD 2000+ (Athlon XP)

Put everything together the fan spins for a second then nothing. Swapped Memory, checked FSB jumper, cleared CMOS, Cleaned processor & applied ne past etc.

My only idea is that its the CPU but it was tested and working. The only other old item in the case is the Heatsink could it cause the problem?

Don't know what it can be.

Cheers

You could have a short between mobo and chassis. Check the mounting studs for the mobo, that they are only in places corresponding with mobo-holes for mounting screws.

Hi, took the board out tried to boot it outside the case same result, fans just spin and no post!. Had my cpu tested again, confirmed that its working.
My old board and the new one give the same result. I'm thinking perhaps its the easycool heatsink fan thats not telling the board that its turning. Is this a possibility?

Any help will be appreciated.

PS. Sorry forgot my password so I made a new acount. (Obelix is Puckman)

Obelix said:
Hi, took the board out tried to boot it outside the case same result, fans just spin and no post!. Had my cpu tested again, confirmed that its working.
My old board and the new one give the same result. I'm thinking perhaps its the easycool heatsink fan thats not telling the board that its turning. Is this a possibility?
That is a definite possibility.

Well I have two new PSU's they both give the same result. Just a question though, My old PSU that failed didn't have a 4 pin plug for the CPU power. Where the two new ones I have do. Does this make a difference as my old board doesn't have the 4 pin plug but the new baord does. Are 20 pin plugs still the same?

What about your video card? is it the same 1 that you had in your old system? My video card recently packed up and my system does not boot when it is mounted on my mobo, try removing the video card and see if the system boots(obviously you will not have a display but all fans/hd's etc should be running). If this happens then your video card is buggered just like mine :mad:

a friend of mine had the exact same problem(from the info i read from you)and it turned out to be the motherboard. i hit the power button and the only thing that happened was the PS fan spun for a fraction of a second. i hope in your case its not the MB, but that is what it sounds like to me. and yes i used the same video card. as a matter of fact im using it right now.

Friend of mine had a similar problem the other day. His PC worked fine in my house, attached with my mouse/kb/monitor.
At his house it would not power up at all.
Turned out he had a bent pin in the keyboard plug. Straightened it out, all OK!
Check your mouse and KB plugs.
Does the board beep at all when switching on?

hey,if you're still having problem with your board.i suggest you first check if it is properly grounded first.I have seen this a few times ,if the fan spins for a second or two when you turns the power button on and then nothing happpens.it sounds a lot like the mobo is touching some part of the cabinet,also it might be because of some faulty pn1/pn2 configuration.try this and tell me if you're still having issues. :giddy:

yes had the same prob with an AMD duron was power switch hook up wrong on the Mobo :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back