AMD or Intel?

winterwolf1223

Just wanted some input from you guys for a project of mine =)

When choosing a processor which do you prefer AMD or Intel or doesn't matter?
And if you can explain why that would be great!(it can be "i just like AMD more" or whatever) TY!

A common term from around where I live:

"AMD does all the work, Intel gets all the credit."

What I actually meant to say was that AMD usually invent new and sometimes even surprising technology, and Intel refines it into something more usable.

Best bang: Intel.
Best bang for your buck: AMD.

Sticking with the topic: I <3 AMD, I even plan to apply for work there when I'm done studying! :)

It's dependent on what it is you wish to do with your PC.

Generally though: Up to a certain pricepoint, AMD's value/performance is excellent. But after you've crossed that threshold, Intel is the way to go for sheer power.

But only by 5%. I could build an and or intel system for. 600 usd and they both will perform about the same for the majority of everyday task.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Of course, you have to acknowledge that the AMD beats it out in more multi-thread-friendly tests.
Plus if you want USB 3.0 and Sata 6GB/s, AMD has nicer boards than the H55 for less money.

The i3 is 5% faster and almost 25% less money than the 970 black. It's also more powerful than the 1100t that costs more than 40% more. AMD really has to step up the IPC with Bulldozer. More cores can only do so much.

Yes the i3 does loose (only) in highly multi-threaded benchmarks. There are i5's too. The i5 2300 is $185 and AMD has nothing to compete with it yet. I can't see a good reason to build a new system with a AMD processor that costs much over $100.

Soon there will be dozens of sub $100 H67 and P67 motherboards with USB 3.0 and SATA 6 Gb/s ports. Right now newegg is the only place that has any 1155 boards.

LGA2011 will be released after Bulldozer and have six cores with quad channel memory. It will also have a on board clock generator so it can be overclocked with bus speed. If Bulldozer is any good Intel will just release higher clocked processors. The way these new Sandy Bridge 'K' series CPUs are overclocking it's clear Intel is holding back.

If you aren't too worried about performance go AMD. Intel, hands down, is the fastest out there. I overclock a lot and have gone through my fair share of hardware so I tend to stick with AMD. It's cheaper to replace. I get my kicks through overclocking, not so much gaming. There is something about pushing a CPU to 4.2ghz that makes me all warm inside. Intel, in my experience, tends to overclock higher more often. If I had tons of money I might buy an Intel system, but I like to support the little guy.

In this day an age, unless you have some need for a VERY fast computer, AMD will do anything that you need it to. Computers have gotten to the point where anything you buy will do just about anything you want it to.

Just to clarify if you missed it, I did say I liked intel processors more.
I have a feeling this thread is not going to get anywhere.

Someone who keeps onto a system 3-5 years really should buy the best they can afford. It seems the best reasons to go AMD are emotional more than logical (fan boys of the underdog.) I'm a Intel fan. My electronics teacher retired from there. He spoke highly of them and I respected him (8086 era.) That didn't stop me from buying many K8's.

Where would we be without AMD? Many say Intel would just rape and pillage us. One thing is sure; x86 would be gone by now. It's long in the tooth and we should be using something better by now. AMD's competition has forced the market to cling onto old tech. We just duct tape on some new instructions and go on.

Just to clarify if you missed it, I did say I liked intel processors more.
I have a feeling this thread is not going to get anywhere.

Lol ty hellokitty! Wht i was looking for was straight answer AMD or Intel and why, but all these inputs are very interesting and i can mostly make out wht u guys would prefer. Im just doing a survey for a project =P

But do carry on guys! lol

They both offer better boards and cpus at different prices. For example

200$ amd
210$ intel
etc

Actually, I would suggest going with an Intel CPU. A motherboard with the LGA 1366 socket. That way you are going to be upgradeable for quite a few years to come. and Intel has come out with their 2nd gen of core i7 processors, unsure if i5 and i3 is included with this.. anyone want to chim in on that, please feel free.

Intel's seem to be more powerful, and if you look up benchmarks there arent too many AMD processors that compare to Intel's higher end processors.

Just wanted some input from you guys for a project of mine =)

When choosing a processor which do you prefer AMD or Intel or doesn't matter?
And if you can explain why that would be great!(it can be "i just like AMD more" or whatever) TY!

Intel somewhat best for its flexibility

Actually, I would suggest going with an Intel CPU. A motherboard with the LGA 1366 socket. That way you are going to be upgradeable for quite a few years to come. and Intel has come out with their 2nd gen of core i7 processors,

1366 is being replaced by socket 2011 in Q4. It will not be upgradeable for years to come.

Yes, and it's no longer a rumor as suggested in that article from last year. It's on Intel's roadmap.

Yes, and it's no longer a rumor as suggested in that article from last year. It's on Intel's roadmap.

Can you link me to the road map? I've been searching google but cant seem to find much other than old ones, and nothing stating the new socket type.

Ohh wow. The socket will literally be called LGA 2011. I kept thinking I was seeing the year. No wonder I was so confused.

Thanks for the great info. This might be a good addition to OPs project, as well. lol I need be keep up to date more.

If 2011 had am indication of pin count I'll be selling my system early this summer

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Back