AMD Phenom II x6 1100T overclocking + cooling

Atham

Hello,

I am would like to know how much I could OC the AMD Phenom II x6 1100T Black Ed. with the stock cooler. Could I reach up to 4 GHz? Would it be stable?

I am not really confident in OCing with the stock cooler. I would like to know what would be a good CPU cooler for the AMD Phenom II x6 1100T BE. I would like to reach at least 4.2 GHz with the aftermarket cooler.

Would the Cooler Master Hyper 212 be good enough? If not could you give me some suggestions? I am not looking for anything expensive (up to about 40 Euros, maybe less).

Here is the rig I will be using:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1100T Black Edition
Motherboard: GIGABYTE 990FXA UD3
Ram: 2x2 GB Dual Channel DDRIII 1066
GPU: GeForce 9800 GT - I will upgrade in the future, hopefully
PSU: Corsair TX750
HDD: 1 TB
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ - maybe something else, depending on how good this cooler is.
Target CPU speed: at least 4 GHz

Thanks in advance

While a 4GHz overclock for the Phenom 1100T is fairly typical and taking into account that the CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ is a pretty good cooler for the price; you may be able to achieve a stable 4GHz overclock. That will depend primarily the amount of voltage needed and the corresponding issue of heat, as the saying goes "Your mileage may vary".

Keep in mind that you have the option of adding a second fan in a push-pull configuration for better cooling with your current 212+.

I couldn't get mine to clock over 3.8GHz without bluescreening. Gave up tweaking the voltage settings bc I just wanted a running pc. Once I roll the server over to another box I will run another oc session and post the results.

PS. I have an ROG ASUS board and even the auto-oc stopped at 3.86..

unless you lose the binning lottery, 4.0Ghz for the 1100T with a decent OC'ing MB is a given. I have mine running at 4.26Ghz which is not uncommon and in the range of expectations (4.0-4.4Ghz) I would not even bother with the stock cooler, they give you the standard aluminum finned square with a single copper heat-pipe. (Why they bother sending out that with a 125w six core CPU with an unlocked Multi, I have no idea)
PS. I have an ROG ASUS board and even the auto-oc stopped at 3.86..

The auto OC (TurboV) or other is not going to give you the maximum OC , and 3.9Ghz is a typical OC for auto. You might try looking at where it takes your memory, HT/NB clocks as it does its thing. It may be that any of those are too high and keeping it from going any higher. The 1100T is a BE edition, try doing your self with just raising the multi. you will probably get to x19.5 or x20 multi with a voltage bump. then raise the reference clock 1Mhz at a time. once you find stability, you can raise the NB/HT multi , should have no problem running at 2600+Mhz (there is a performance increase in doing this, don't let others tell you there is not) Keep in mnd as well that a heavily OC'ed 1100T can be pulling close to 200W*** make sure you have a PSU up to the task******
as always, watch the temps.

The main reason I hedged on the stable 4GHz overclock was based on a quick check of the MSI 785GM-E51. It appears to have some issues with power regulation at higher voltages, at least according to one review ... although this is hardly conclusive.

The main reason I hedged on the stable 4GHz overclock was based on a quick check of the MSI 785GM-E51. It appears to have some issues with power regulation at higher voltages, at least according to one review ... although this is hardly conclusive.

Good point Miz,, it is not a an overclockers board. a bit of V droop.

****edit....Fixed!:D

So could I get a stable 4 GHz? Should I change the Motherboard, or will my current one handle the given "stuff"?

I would be using the corsair TX750 PSU and the mentioned cooler.

I don't get what you mean by pushing in a second fan.

@ red, what are your settings for the 1100T, including voltage and system specs. Thanks

What if I don't buy the radeon hd 6950, but get a GIGABYTE 990FXA UD3 mobo, would that ensure a better and more stable OC? I will have to use my friend's 9800GT, which wouldn't be that bad, would it?

@ red, what are your settings for the 1100T, including voltage and system specs. Thanks

1100T @ 4.28Ghz x21 multi x 204/ 1.52V

CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1100T @ 4.28Ghz
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD7
Mem: 16 GB DDR3 Corsair XMS 3 (12800)@1670Mhz 8-8-8-27-24-1T
Video: 4 X Asus EAH DirectCu HD 5850 Quad CrossfireX

What if I don't buy the radeon hd 6950, but get a GIGABYTE 990FXA UD3 mobo

All CPU's are a bit different and have their own characteristics, but in all likelihood yes. the UD3's VRM phasing/power regulation is much better than the board you are currently using.

**** re-note the PSU comment above.

Isn't the Corsair TX750 good enough as a PSU?

Yes it is, I just meant you have been bandying this about for a while now so don't skimp out on the PSU when you go to order this stuff. Stable power is critical, thats all.

I don't get what you mean by pushing in a second fan.

It means using two fans on the cooler to increase airflow, one pushes air into the cooling fins and the other pulls the air through. See attached.

Attachments

• PushPull.jpg
    PushPull.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 10
I just found out that the cooler might not fit my case. Any other suggestions for the cooler?

How the heck do you hook that thing on your PC?

BTW, do I need to change the liquid in the cooler once in a while?

A bit too expensive for what I need. Isn't there something similar to the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 +.

What about the ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa?

How the heck do you hook that thing on your PC?

BTW, do I need to change the liquid in the cooler once in a while?

Here is one I prepared earlier... :haha:

Corsair H50 attached to a Q6600 quad and setup in push/pull configuration. The case is a Coolermaster HAF 912+

100_1395.JPG

And another.....

This time attached to a AMD Phenom 1055T, the very same H50 cooler, with push/pull configuration.

100_1389.JPG

LOOOOOOOOOL :haha:

I never tire of seeing that picture, and definitely needed to smile! Thanks dude! :D

*rolls eyes*

Now, back to the topic guys, please. Are there any cheap like CPU coolers that have good performance? The H50 is looking good. What about the Coolermaster Hyper TX3?

@ red, what is your CPU cooler you use with the settings you gave me.

Now, back to the topic guys, please.

Thats a bit cheeky!

Don't think me and Red actually left your topic... You didn't know how a H50 worked, so we provided 3 pictures for you to view to help your understanding.

No thanks is needed for me grabbing some of my own pictures and linking them to further your understanding btw....

Cheap and good don't really go hand in hand either. My suggestion is to find 3-4 coolers you like price wise, and then read the reviews for them online. Google is very handy for this... You just need to search the cooler name with "review" and you'll get plenty of information to help you choose.

Thats a bit cheeky!
Don't think me and Red actually left your topic... You didn't know how a H50 worked, so we provided 3 pictures for you to view to help your understanding.

No thanks is needed for me grabbing some of my own pictures and linking them to further your understanding btw....

Cheeky you say, eh? LOL

Cheap and good don't really go hand in hand either. My suggestion is to find 3-4 coolers you like price wise, and then read the reviews for them online. Google is very handy for this... You just need to search the cooler name with "review" and you'll get plenty of information to help you choose.

Okay, so what should I look in reviews for? What classifies a good CPU cooler?

Checked some reviews. They say the Coolermaster Hyper TX3 is good for the price and cools well. Just to know, would this keep the Phenom II x6 1100T @ 4GHz cool enough?

Okay, so what should I look in reviews for? What classifies a good CPU cooler?

This is an example of a review: http://www.guru3d.com/article/corsair-h50-cpu-cooler-review/

Generally speaking you can work out a lot from a review, and it will be compared to those around the same price range.

I found it by goggling "Corsair H50 reviews". Its a very useful tool, and given your constant movement from one item to another might prove very useful. Its where we get some of our information from as well, as they're independent reviews and therefore you get a real indication of what the product is actually like.

Find a few coolers your happy to pay for, and then Google the reviews and find out what they're like.

P.S. Atham; you added that line below (to your original comment above) after I hit reply, and during the time I was writing my response.

What Leeky said...
anyway
@ red, what is your CPU cooler you use with the settings you gave me.

This is mine it's a Thermalright Silver Arrow with 3 fan config.
***note the size though, you need room for this thing.

silverarrowtriplefan.jpg

as far as "cheap" you need to define how much that is. I replaced a Coolermaster V8 which is very good, the V6 is as well. The Frio OCK is very good as well. If you are looking at Hyper 212 cheap, that wont cut it for high end OC's.

Back