AMD Radeon RX 6800S Review: Power Efficient GPU for Gaming Laptops

This looks like a well balanced choice for those who insist on an all-AMD setup, and claim not to care about ray tracing performance because of that bias.

This looks like a well balanced choice for those who insist on an all-AMD setup, and claim not to care about ray tracing performance because of that bias.
Does that statement in itself not imply your Bias? I don't care about ray tracing if the option 30FPS with RT vs 60FPS without ill take the 60 thanks. I've played with it on and off and honestly I'm not saying I cant tell a difference but I already think games have too many reflections in them its like there is no such thing as a matt surface everything is always glossy. its just not that big of a deal for me.

I'd love to see this card reviewed in an Intel laptop... without the advantage of being paired with an AMD CPU, I suspect it would fair even worse...

Alas, AMD never really mastered the mobile GPU... they do good iGPU and CPUs though...

Because of the poor optimization of games like Battlefield and Cyberpunk, I prefer the most powerful option of a GPU possible so I can brute force my way into decent settings.
However, you only really need an 8core CPU nowadays running about 3GHz for most games.

Does that statement in itself not imply your Bias? I don't care about ray tracing if the option 30FPS with RT vs 60FPS without ill take the 60 thanks. I've played with it on and off and honestly I'm not saying I cant tell a difference but I already think games have too many reflections in them its like there is no such thing as a matt surface everything is always glossy. its just not that big of a deal for me.
Rt offers new gameplay elements that traditional methods dont. You can dodge incoming bullets flaming arrows spells or whatever it is that are casted offscreen, cause you can see the reflections of it.

Everybody cares about RT performance!

And most people's conclusion is that it delivers small (if any) IQ improvements, only in select games, and costs way too many FPS for that small benefit.

I care about both IQ and FPS, certainly enough to turn on RT, have a look, and then turn it off and continue with high FPS.

Actually I feel the Navi 23 can be quite a potent GPU in the laptop space because of the low power requirement. In most games, a factory overclocked version usually pulls about 120W. However because of the severe gimp in the cache size, this will not be able to keep up with the RTX 3070 class of GPUs in GPU intensive titles, especially at 1440p.

Yeah, whenever some new tech comes out in graphics world they put it in everywhere.
It is like they are not sure people would like it, just add more reflective surfaces.

Feeling slightly happy that Radeon is catching up in laptop graphics but really it's not quite there yet. Considering next gen of Nvidia is right around the corner, I doubt they will be able to catch up even next year.

Feeling slightly happy that Radeon is catching up in laptop graphics but really it's not quite there yet. Considering next gen of Nvidia is right around the corner, I doubt they will be able to catch up even next year.
AMD next gen is also right around corner...

Nope, it's actually a thing. Try it in, Doom for example. You can dodge stuff that's behind you offscreen just by the reflections on the floors / walls. It's pretty neat
I play Doom Eternal on Nightmare difficulty right now. Trust me if you focus on damn reflections instead of focusing on the enemies, you won't even beat the first level.

RT performance will matter, just look at how bad AMD GPUs perform in Metro Exodus EE. Many more games will use RT elements going forward, even on lowest settings. They will simply require a RT capable GPU. AMD needs to fix their lacking RT perf.

RT performance will matter, just look at how bad AMD GPUs perform in Metro Exodus EE. Many more games will use RT elements going forward, even on lowest settings. They will simply require a RT capable GPU. AMD needs to fix their lacking RT perf.

Lol. RT is going to be only barely better than the proprietary Nvidia stuff they pump out. AMD and Intel are working on ray-tracing, so it's not going to be as useless, but it's not going to be a necessity in the slightest.

And as this is PC gaming; you can just disable it.

Lol. RT is going to be only barely better than the proprietary Nvidia stuff they pump out. AMD and Intel are working on ray-tracing, so it's not going to be as useless, but it's not going to be a necessity in the slightest.

And as this is PC gaming; you can just disable it.
Try disabling it in Metro Exodus EE then, AMD GPUs get wrecked in this title for a reason, regardless of settings; You can't turn it off. RT is used even on lowest settings. More games will follow suit very soon, because having RT lighting and shadows is much easier for dev's and it looks way more impressive on top.

AMDs RT perf is laughable at best, even with FSR enabled you can't get 60 fps solid in 1440p with a 6900XT :joy:

Try disabling it in Metro Exodus EE then, AMD GPUs get wrecked in this title for a reason, regardless of settings; You can't turn it off. RT is used even on lowest settings. More games will follow suit very soon, because having RT lighting and shadows is much easier for dev's and it looks way more impressive on top.

AMDs RT perf is laughable at best, even with FSR enabled you can't get 60 fps solid in 1440p with a 6900XT :joy:

They even had to rename and release an entirely new version of the game just shoehorn RT in with Metro Exodus. A PR stunt. You can still play Metro Exodus on any card and as usual, RT differences are rarely if ever worth the FPS loss. If you're arguing for DLSS, now that's a real feature improvement as at least it *adds* FPS. But RT. Lol, no.

Back