AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE: The RDNA 3 GPU You Can't Really Buy

If faster gddr6 memories or cheap hbm2 were available, it would be feasible to maintain XT performance in a version with less memory.

Considering it's aimed at the Chinese market, I wonder what the cost-per-frame analysis is when currency is converted and prices are adjusted to the market rates in China. It may be a better (or worse) positioned product when compared to the Chinese ecosystem as opposed to the rest of the world.

But, for those of us who don't live in China (which my guess is nearly everyone who visits this site), I guess it doesn't really matter.

Wow, barely faster than 6800XT when it is has 80 CUs and the soon to be released 60CU 7800XT, will need to run over 3GHz to even get near the 6800XT. Well played AMD, well played.

I wonder what the performance delta would be for the 7900xt with a power limit to match the 7900GRE would yield?🤔

Wow, barely faster than 6800XT when it is has 80 CUs and the soon to be released 60CU 7800XT, will need to run over 3GHz to even get near the 6800XT. Well played AMD, well played.
nVidia will be getting out of the gaming GPU market soon, AMD is taking their place. I've heard some rumors that nVidia hasn't committed to making an RTX70 series. That's so far away that I don't even think they know what they're going to do but I wouldn't be surprised if they're talking about it.

Due to how they're making chips right now, they'll likely only have very high end GPUs with no low end or midranged. They'll just sell the "bad" chips that aren't server or workstation grade as 80 and 90 series gaming cards.

They'll just sell the "bad" chips that aren't server or workstation grade as 80 and 90 series gaming cards.
the ones we here want.
the pricing will still depend on competition, if amd still can't get mcm/dual issue fp32 to work, we'll see more of 4080/4090 pricing.
btw, this 7900gre barely beating my 3080 10g at 1440p is just absolutely terrible. I got it for 380eur with 1.5 yrs of warranty left while 7900gre only comes in 1000 eur systems. 3080 12g would probably beat it.
Anyway, thanks for taking time to review this Steve. As a hardware enthusiast it has to be depressing to review this generation when the only exciting card was the 4090 at 1600.

Last edited:
It is weird to say GRE is too close a name to other products when AMD already sells a XT and XTX.
(Now that is too close!)

I was born in a Rabbit Year too, but I think I'll pass on this one. I already have my trusty 5700XT (and a newer Nvidia card for my main rig).

I liked the pro name more (I had 9700 pro at some point), but that would imply something else now. Naming is irrelevant anyway, the problem is availability and performance. AMD will only have two cards that beat 6800xt in 7000 series that you can buy at retailers outside of China. That's same as actual 6000 series with 6900 and 6950.
My friend is waiting for 7800xt as an upgrade for 6700xt at 1440p, I told him I'm not waiting forever and got a 3080 used when I got a solid offer. Poor guy, about to be disappointed. I told him to get a 6800xt/6900 while supply lasts, but he insisted on waiting for 7800xt. Its not even gonna get new features compared to 6000 series.

Last edited:
Steve failed to answer the "Elephant in the room" question. Users need to see an analysis of how well the 7900 GRE overclocks. I believe the clocks are de-tuned vs the 7900 XT and if it overclocks as well as other 7900's, it could be a terrific value as an overclocking GPU, and it could provide even better price/performance than the 7900 XT !

Considering it's aimed at the Chinese market, I wonder what the cost-per-frame analysis is when currency is converted and prices are adjusted to the market rates in China. It may be a better (or worse) positioned product when compared to the Chinese ecosystem as opposed to the rest of the world.

But, for those of us who don't live in China (which my guess is nearly everyone who visits this site), I guess it doesn't really matter.
I calculated the cost per frame, at 1440p, based on the current Chinese prices.

6950XT --- $5.6
6800XT --- $6.0
7900XT --- $7.0
7900XTX --- $7.0
4070 --- $7.1
4080 --- $7.4
7900GRE --- $7.6
4070Ti --- $7.8

And for that, I used the scores from here to calculate. Mostly, the available 7000 series AMD ones in China are from Pulse and Hellhound. XFX for the 6000 series.

The Nvidia cheapest variations are some random Chinese brands, usually two fan coolers. Other cards are considerably more expensive.

Steve failed to answer the "Elephant in the room" question. Users need to see an analysis of how well the 7900 GRE overclocks. I believe the clocks are de-tuned vs the 7900 XT and if it overclocks as well as other 7900's, it could be a terrific value as an overclocking GPU, and it could provide even better price/performance than the 7900 XT !
my 6800 fighter does 2540 while being the cheapest one, my friend's 6800 Gaming Z is the top one, but 2350 is unstable.
silicon lottery is not part of an objective cost per frame analysis.

This makes no sense. Your results are considerably different to https://www.computerbase.de/2023-08/amd-rdna-2-rdna-3-gaming-vergleich/ their results.
no, computerbase also shows 6950xt is faster

7900GRE has the same specs as the 6950XT, but being RDNA3 instead of 2... So how could it be slower than it in your tests?
ask amd how it's possible that their cards are going backwards.

Are you blind? The GRE is faster in every one of their tests.
PQJQ4i7.png

Incorrect again. it's 3% slower in rasterization and only 1% faster in rt. So, slower overall.

Back