TechSpot

AMD rebadges mobile GPUs, announces HD 7000M series

By Jos
Dec 7, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. AMD traditionally launches new graphics products with high-end models on the desktop and then works its way down and into laptops. This time, they are doing the exact opposite by…

Read the whole story

2. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,933   +126 Staff Member

3. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,537   +330

Isn't Nvidia doing this also with Kepler? starting with the lowest models and making its way up to the high end models? Wonder why both have decided to change and do it this way?

4. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,933   +126 Staff Member

Yea, see the link I posted above, nVidia is doing the same thing.
    I guess it's easier to just rename your old **** than actually make something new eh?

5. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,970   +739

There is no truth in advertising when it comes to mobile GPU's.
    These rebrands, just like the last round (continued here) are at the behest of the OEM's. Pretty hard to shift new stock for the holiday season if it doesn't boast higher model numbers that the same stuff thats been available all year.

Yo Ho Ho, and a Merry Christmas to the uninitiated from Dell, HP, Acer, Toshiba....

6. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 931   +248

The comment about mobile GPU's is so true, and funny.
    I remember last year a friend of mine was bragging about his 5870M in his laptop and how well it ran games at 1080P, but how he didn't like his 5770.

Then he found out a 5870M's specs are nearly identical to a 5770.

7. veLa

veLa TS Booster Posts: 533   +88

Yeah my GTX 260M is technically a GeForce 9800 GT 1GB but in a laptop.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.