AMD releases Catalyst 12.1, 12.2 preview, 8.921.2 RC11 drivers

Matthew DeCarlo

AMD has fired a volley of updates at Radeon owners, including a new Microsoft-certified build (12.1), a preview of the next official release (12.2) and an early driver for the HD 7900 series (8.21.2 RC11). The WHQL-stamped Catalyst 12.1 is likely what you'll want to download if you just want to play it safe with AMD's mainline offering. Version 12.1 contains all the goodies found in the 12.1 and 12.1a previews, including:

• A 10-15% boost (over Catalyst 11.12) in Skyrim for certain HD 6900 setups
  • Support for 1080p@30Hz displays via HD3D over HDMI 1.4 (up from 24Hz)
  • Improved UI for adjusting video quality and color settings in the control panel
  • A new control panel feature that lets you create application-specific profiles

Download Catalyst 12.1 (release notes)
Desktop: Windows XP 32-bit | Windows XP 64-bit | Windows Vista/7 32-bit | Windows Vista/7 64-bit
Mobile: Windows Vista/7 32-bit | Windows Vista/7 64-bit

As usual, AMD has prepared a special non-WHQL release for thrill-seekers. The unofficial Catalyst 12.2 preview packs everything you'll find in 12.1 but adds half a dozen more improvements. Most notably, the release touts a larger range of resolutions for Eyefinity users and dynamic configuration changes, which automatically changes your configuration when plugging/unplugging a screen. There are also HydraVision enhancements (the Windows task bar can now be moved and resized) as well as Profile Manager improvements.

Download Catalyst 12.2 Preview (release notes)
Desktop: Windows Vista/7 32 and 64-bit

Radeon HD 7900 owners are strongly cautioned against installing 12.1 and the 12.2 preview as neither build supports the latest-generation cards. Instead, you want 8.921.2 RC11, which provides the proper support and delivers relevant enhancements. HD 7900 users can expect anywhere from 8% to 250% more performance in games and benchmarks including AvP, BF3, Crysis 2 and TessMark (OpenGL). The build also adds super sample and adaptive AA for DX10 and DX11 applications along with six bug fixes (mostly for games).

Download Catalyst 8.921.2 RC11 (release notes)
Desktop: Windows 7 64-bit

Permalink to story.

Sad. I'm stuck in 11.9 because anything newer will make BF3 multiplayer crash on start-up.

I am using new drivers and BF3 works great. Have also used all other drivers before these and BF3 ran without any problems. Don't think the drivers or BF3 is causing the problem. Something on your end obviously.

Yeah, guess 2, tell me that, after I spent 60 dollars on that game on release I'm still unable to play the multiplayer more than a 3 minutes max before it crash.

@Guest2
This depends on what video card You have. I have HD4850 and as Guest1 has said everything after 11.9 only makes the things worse.

i have a hd3850, a hd4850 and a hd5850 in 3 of my pcs.
never tested bf3 multiplayer with the hd3850, but it runs fine with 11.12 drivers in the pcs that have the hd4850 and the hd5850.

Hopefully this will fix some of my programs from crashing due to video problems.

Dude something is wrong with your computer not the drivers.

i've not had any crashing on my machine and i've used all drivers since release.

I just installed the 12.2 (895) drivers this morning and plan to do some testing tonight. I'll be checking more for stability than performance increases. With 12.1a I had flickering problems with BFBC2 and resolution issues with GRID. Everything else seemed to work fine.

The problem with this article is that its info is 3 weeks old, as Catalyst 12.1 has been out since January 4th.

The problem with this article is that its info is 3 weeks old, as Catalyst 12.1 has been out since January 4th.

Here we go again... may wanna pay attention to detail when reading the article before shooting it down. The old 12.1 and 12.1a builds from 2-3 weeks ago were not Microsoft Certified builds. This article also mentioned one of the 12.2 builds that have released in the last few days.

Back