TechSpot

AMD releases Windows 8 driver, Consumer Preview hits 1m downloads

By Matthew
Mar 1, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Radeon owners running the Windows 8 Consumer Preview might want to take advantage of a timely update from AMD. Among other improvements, the release notes mention full support for Windows…

Read the whole story

2. KG363

KG363 TS Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

New mobile nvida drivers aren't working for me. My laptop won't start with them.

3. I agree with the guy above. after i installed the laptop driver, my laptop was turned into a damn brick! it would not boot. AMD = FAIL!!
    i had to to a complete reinstallation to fix it. screw those drivers

4. KG363

KG363 TS Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

I just kept using the power button to turn the computer off and on when it hit the "wall of color" and eventually Win 8 realized it needed to go into recovery mode.

5. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 634   +60

I'm confused, are we talking AMD or Nvidia mobile drivers? Or do both of them suck?

6. it's not the drivers it's the os

7. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 634   +60

Obviously that's not what they're talking about.

8. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 414   +42

^ haha. Guys why you running preview software as your primary OS? Dual boot ftw!
    |
    |

9. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Booster Posts: 278   +48

I'm using NVIDIA's latest drivers on my XPS 15 without issues with Optimus. Is funny the first post is about NVIDIA and the second refering to the first one talks about AMD.

10. 1 million downloads=1million uninstalls 4 hours later, from what I've seen of vista2....I mean Win 8 It's more a mobile os badly port to work on a desktop as an after thought.

11. Puiu

Puiu TS Maniac Posts: 1,074   +100

The latest driver from Intel didn't work for me. After hours of trying to modify the INI file i hit a brick wall. The installer started but it gave an registry error although everything should have worked just fine (at least to my limited knowledge).
    I started downloading some older drivers (8.15.10.2413) and found one with an INI file that didn't have the lines where it restricted installing the driver on win xp/ win 8 (yes they put this in the INI and yes i did unrestricted win 8 on what i was working on). it was just simpler and it installed just fine.

i have intel GMA 4500m. newer or older IGP's should have the same fix if the newest drivers don't install.

12. I'm getting the same problem, windows hangs for about 20 seconds when I roll in to the top left or bottom right of the screen. Sounds like this AMD catalyst release is supposed to sort it out but all these comments have scared me off trying it. Has anyone had it work for them yet?

13. fireworker

fireworker TS Rookie

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.