AMD rumored to be working on a Radeon RX 6900 XTX to challenge the RTX 3090

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: It seems strange that at a time when graphics cards are almost impossible to find outside of the reseller market and their prices hugely inflated, there are rumors of new, doubtlessly very expensive models in the works. Following talk of an RTX 3090 Super, we’re now hearing that AMD is working on a Radeon RX 6900 XTX to take on Nvidia’s current consumer flagship.

News of a Radeon RX 6900 XTX comes from Twitter user CyberPunkCat (via Tom’s Hardware), who posted what is alleged to be an AMD slide showing off the unreleased card. As noted by 3DCenter, which recently revealed the new increase in graphics card prices, the specs on the slide match exactly those of the Radeon RX 6900 XT Liquid Cooled (LC) that’s only available to OEMs—this could be an old slide relating to the LC card, so take with plenty of salt.

If, however, this really is a slide for an all-new Radeon RX 6900 XTX, what can we expect to see? The current version of the RX 6900 XT has two variants: one featuring the Navi 21 XTX GPU and one with the Navi 21 XTXH binned version. The latter is used in high-end cards such as the ASRock Radeon RX 6900 XT OC Formula.

It’s likely that any RX 6900 XTX would use a Navi 21 XTXH GPU with faster memory and clock speeds. According to the slide, it offers up to 24.93 TFLOPs of FP32 performance, putting it ahead of the RX 6900 XT’s 23.04 TFLOPS. The potential new card is also expected to have a 2,435 MHz boost clock, ahead of the vanilla version’s 2,250 MHz. That would give the RX 6900 XTX an 8% increase in both boost clock and performance.

Elsewhere, the memory is increased from 16 Gbps to 18 Gbps. The 16 GB of GDDR6 will remain unchanged, though the theoretical bandwidth increases to 576 GB/s, a 13% jump over the RX 6900 XT. We may also see the TDP increase from 300W to 350W.

It was only a few days ago that we heard rumors of a 450W RTX 3090 Super featuring 21 Gbps VRAM. Will it be going up against a Radeon RX 6900 XTX? Assuming they’re real, the better question might be will anyone be able to find/afford one of these beasts.

Permalink to story.

Simply for nostalgia, I love how they're using the XT amd XTX branding. Brings me back to my first real high-end graphics card, x1950xtx.

I had two of those. I wish it could share in good nostalgia but both of them died in two different PCs over a period of about 6 months.

Since then, I don't really feel comfortable with cards that push the limit of a process technology anymore. Also rarely get heavily factory OC'd models.

It can't be cutting-edge without proper ray tracing, it's always gonna be brought up to make it look worse next to RTX3090. Even though I think it's still early to care about ray tracing fact is many people bought into it and won't spend over a grand for a GPU with missing features.

I wish them success though, it's more interesting when there's competiton.

Lmao, so more than $1000 for a card that can’t ray trace or use DLSS. Yeah they are going to make about 15 of these for the reviewers and the fans. Normal people wouldn’t buy this. If you don’t get ray tracing or DLSS you are supposed to be a budget option.

What's interesting to me is that as @winjer mentions they know for sure nobody can get any cards at all and that most of their customers can never afford their super premium products, yet they want to keep making them.

Yet in their mind they never expect actual revenue out of these super premium cards. It's just a marketing campaign: they get to send cards to reviewers that even when mocking or begrudgingly mention their pointlessness they'll still talk about em and continue to do on "Look at this ultimate mega ridiculous gaming rig made by your favorite tech youtuber X!" builds

These are like super fast racing cards competing for speed records: nobody actually expects regular people to ever buy them and there's usually a larger car manufacturer behind them that still make regular cars, the prestige of being seen as the very best of car (or GPU) makers is enough you'll make actual money with other products.

It will take a 6900XT-XXX from AMD to challenge nVidia's RTX3090 Super-Duper.

I think the last time AMD and nVidia faced each other, that meeting went like this:

Last edited:
Lmao, so more than $1000 for a card that can’t ray trace or use DLSS. Yeah they are going to make about 15 of these for the reviewers and the fans. Normal people wouldn’t buy this. If you don’t get ray tracing or DLSS you are supposed to be a budget option.

Not everyone cares about RT or DLSS but I somewhat agree, I would get the 3090 if I was looking for gpu at these prices

Not everyone cares about RT or DLSS but I somewhat agree, I would get the 3090 if I was looking for gpu at these prices
I would call them premium features. People spending big money would expect them. People buying on a budget would probably be happy to sacrifice them. Although we do now have one game that requires ray tracing. There will be more.

I'm kind of surprised that a few of our high end board makers haven't found ways to begin incorporating some of these into the actual boards. Granted the power, etc. of the cards would be difficult ... but certainly not impossible to include. Of course, if you have to pay $1,000 plus for a board, that could be a bit difficult to overcome ......

It's already after than the 3090 in most scenarios.
It's a pointless card, that no one with common sense would buy.

It can't be cutting-edge without proper ray tracing
Let me check the library of all the games already in the market that absolutely need RT.....

that can’t ray trace or use DLSS.
Another one....

I have to say, what happened to people recently?

All they know now is to repeat the same nonsense that the marketing dept says?

Again, RT as it is, its not worth the performance hit plus the developers havent done squat with it besides making puddles look shinny meanwhile the game is paused.

Remind me of this:

Considering MD's less-is-more strategy, I doubt we'll get a 3090 competitor with 24GB of memory. - only to be stepped on by the 3090 Super.

Let me check the library of all the games already in the market that absolutely need RT.....

Another one....

Again, RT as it is, its not worth the performance hit plus the developers havent done squat with it besides making puddles look shinny meanwhile the game is paused.
Speak for yourself. It wasn’t Nvidias marketing that got me interested. A friend of mine has an RTX 3070 and I’ve had a play around, I love it. I think its 100% worth the performance hit.

Besides, I’m not going to buy Radeon again. I’m on a Radeon XFX RX480 and it’s a dreadful experience. Worst card I’ve ever had!

Speak for yourself. It wasn’t Nvidias marketing that got me interested. A friend of mine has an RTX 3070 and I’ve had a play around, I love it. I think its 100% worth the performance hit.

Besides, I’m not going to buy Radeon again. I’m on a Radeon XFX RX480 and it’s a dreadful experience. Worst card I’ve ever had!
I had my share of bad nvidia and amd cards.

But besides of the fact of not needing RT yet, I have issues with nvidia anti-consumer practices, so I will avoid them as far as I have an alternative and I will be honest, my 6900xt is running fine.

I did a little experiment in using it as primary and my old gtx 970 for Physx and funny enough, as soon as I installed the nvidia drivers, the Radeon console reported driver errors because the nvidia installer corrupted or removed some of their files.

They always pull cr@p like that.

Man, AMD is sure grasping at straws with this. I get the idea that these will be snapped up by miners because the lack of gaming features will make this card unpalatable to gamers.

I would call them premium features. People spending big money would expect them. People buying on a budget would probably be happy to sacrifice them. Although we do now have one game that requires ray tracing. There will be more.
Not necessarily, Although long term I would agree. question is will someone who spends this much on a GPU keep it for long, I feel like in 2 years time when and RTXZ FX SuperX or whatever stupid naming scheme they come up with next big GPU is out they will buy it.

I suppose like everything its in excess, I dont think it will be anytime soon RT becomes a requirement not with Consoles using the same Silicon that struggles with it.

I think both AMD and Nvidia are barking up the wrong tree, What happened to power efficiency?

I love the nvidia apologists for the 3090 Super, making a fuss like it's a great product, or even a steal! LMAO. And how bad 6900 XTX(H) is.

Let's get one thing straight: any, I repeat, any GPU today above $1000 (MSRP or scalped) is stupid. Period.
I don't care how much money you have... you can have a Mount Everest size pile of money and it's still stupid. You get +10% more performance for that special kind of stupid.

The 2nd reason why all the GPUs today above $1000 are stupid and are gonna be even more stupid is because about this time next year (Q2/Q3 2022) we will have at least one if not both new generations of GPUs from AMD and nvidia and those GPUs will make current gen look like a joke.

So by the time these Super and XTX/RDNA2 refersh GPUs come, they will be about 6 months away from next gen.

Another one....

Remind me of this:

I play games without RT, and nothing bad happens to me. This technology is just not mature enough.

If you play at 4K like me, the perf hit is terrible. So you have to use DLSS to compensate, but this is just a trick. At this time no card is able to keep a consistent framerate at 4K with RT enabled without res tricks. RT is for the future generations of graphics cards, or for people gaming at low resolutions. I have played "only" 4K for the last 3 years, and my plan is to move to 8K in a few years.

Yes YOU would call them premium features but YOU are NOT everyone 😅 my wife has a 3070 and she doesn't give 2 poops about RT or DLSS she just want the game she plays to work that's it, I have few friends who just want maximum fps ( 144 - 240 ) so definitely RT off

Last edited:
Back