AMD Ryzen 5 3600 vs. Intel Core i5-9600K: 2023 Revisit

Somewhat of a false argument. I had the 9900K from 2018 to 2023...Should I have accepted nearly 5yrs of lower performance with the AMD promise of a higher performing upgrade option (much) later down the road?

I'd argue the majority of PC gamers are far more likely to want to build a whole new rig after 5yrs, to take advantage of other tech upgrades available, besides the CPU & GPU, such as faster storage and new Motherboard standards.

In other words, buy the fastest you can afford to start with and enjoy that. Let tomorrows faster stuff take care of itself.

Why no 8700K/10600K? I remember folks were worry, already, of 8400's 6/6 config thus making choice for more expensive but futureproof 6/12. While 9900K was a goldenprice powerhog.

Somewhat of a false argument. I had the 9900K from 2018 to 2023...Should I have accepted nearly 5yrs of lower performance with the AMD promise of a higher performing upgrade option (much) later down the road?

I'd argue the majority of PC gamers are far more likely to want to build a whole new rig after 5yrs, to take advantage of other tech upgrades available, besides the CPU & GPU, such as faster storage and new Motherboard standards.

In other words, buy the fastest you can afford to start with and enjoy that. Let tomorrows faster stuff take care of itself.

My philosophy as well. I have a 9700k since 2018 that I am now replacing with a 12700k thanks to Black Friday.

I fully acknowledge that AM4 would have provided a cheaper upgrade path, but I’m glad to have PCIe5 (instead of 3.0), faster USB, and faster NVMe drives to couple with a new CPU. My preference, but I totally get the argument for CPU upgrades and fully admit it would have been great to have that option.

Also, let’s remember that 3D v-cache didn’t exist in 2018. I’m willing to bet most people didn’t foresee that AM4 parts would see an uplift of this magnitude from 3D v-cache considering performance bumps were mainly coming from modest gen-on-gen IPC improvements, minor clock speed increases, or additional cores. Hindsight as they say is 20/20.

This is an article about 9600k and 3600. The article proves the 3600 was the better buy. It only briefly shows a "what if you upgraded" and found the 3600 goes from being better value anyway to far and away the best.

This is an article about 9600k and 3600. The article proves the 3600 was the better buy. It only briefly shows a "what if you upgraded" and found the 3600 goes from being better value anyway to far and away the best.
More importantly, the 3600 was the better buy in 2019 too. the 9600k was a whopping 4% faster but cost more and used more power. As games have become more cache heavy AMD pulls further ahead.

And then you get those of us that started with the R5 1600, went to a 3600 and finally upgraded to a 5800x3d as I did. Where I spent the money was on Ram as I maxed the motherboard capacity out from the beginning and for my usage that was more important so your question is a strawman. I will agree that you did end it correctly by stating "Get the Most you can afford and let the future sort itself out".

More threads more better it seems.
(Well, until reaching parity with the consoles)

AM4 has been a massive success story for us consumers. I hope it set the standard with AMD hopefully repeating the successful formula and Intel copying it.
It would be an even bigger win this time since proportionally the newer motherboards got a lot more expensive than the CPUs did.

More threads more better it seems.
(Well, until reaching parity with the consoles)

AM4 has been a massive success story for us consumers. I hope it set the standard with AMD hopefully repeating the successful formula and Intel copying it.
It would be an even bigger win this time since proportionally the newer motherboards got a lot more expensive than the CPUs did.

-That's the issue with platform longevity, you gotta keep your mobo AIBs happy somehow. Guess they decided to front load the pricing on AM5 in the event the 6xx boards support the next 4 CPU gens from AMD.

I dropped in a 5800x3D into my 1700x build and didn't need to spend another $2K on a whole new system. So as far as the environment and my wallet is concerned, I can still have a modern platform without throwing everything in the bin. I argue that If most gamers knew this, they would have bought the Ryzen system back in 2017. I spent the money I saved on a nice VR Head set.

Yours is a ludicrously false argument that has no factual basis.

What a crazy concept you're advocating: Spend a couple of thousand / buy a whole new rig after a couple of years. As compared to just upgrading the CPU and in this case, demonstrably, getting 71% boost.

I doubt many smart gamers share this financially and logically crazy approach!!

Intel seems to have be successful at convincing some of its customers that a crazy upgrade path (every 2 years!) is wonderful. For Intel, that is.

agreed, to put this into better perspective, we are talking about savings of a few hundred dollars over the span of 5 or so years. If that money is too much then you probably shouldn't be thinking about building/upgrading a PC in the first place.

I will always say, buy the best you can afford today and don't look back.

It's not a 2023 revisit if you're not comparing against 2023 parts. I got back into the PC scene with a 3600 and have progressed to Ryzen 7000, would've been great to see the gap between the 2.

Back