AMD Ryzen 9 5980HS Review: Zen 3 for Laptops

Scorpus

Staff member

With Ryzen 5000, and by extension the Ryzen 9 5980HS, AMD is delivering much better single-thread performance. The 5980HS provides a ~20% gain versus the 4900HS, which is significant for an architectural improvement on the same process node.

Read the full article here.

Laptops Used for Testing:

• Asus ROG Flow X13
  • Gigabyte Aorus 17X
  • MSI Stealth 15M
  • Schenker Via 14
  • XMG Core 14
  • Intel NUC M15
  • Dell Inspiron 14 7000
  • Tuxedo Aura 15
  • HP Probook x360 435 G7
  • Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 7
  • Lenovo ThinkPad T14
  • HP Envy x360 (4500U)
  • Lenovo IdeaPad 14
  • Acer Swift 3 14 Ice Lake
  • Razer Blade 15 Base
  • MSI GE66 Raider 10SGS
  • Asus TUF Gaming A15 FA506IV
  • MSI GL65 Leopard 10SEK
  • MSI GS66 Stealth 10SE
  • Asus TUF Gaming A15 FA506IU
  • Asus TUF Gaming A15 FA506II
  • Gigabyte Aorus 15G XB
  • Asus Zephyrus G14 GA401IV
  • Asus ZenBook Pro Duo UX481FL
  • Razer Blade Stealth 2019
  • MSI Prestige 14 A10SC
  • Gigabyte Aorus 15
  • MSI GE75 Raider 9SF
  • Razer Blade Pro 17
  • Asus ROG Strix Scar III G531G
  • Gigabyte Aorus 15 XA
  • Acer Predator Helios 300 (9750H)
  • Asus ZenBook UM433D

I got an email this morning from Nvidia that 3000 series GPUS are ready to go for laptops.

I'm really anxious to see this laptop compared against a mobile 3060Ti or 3070 - and of course the 3080.

I got an email this morning from Nvidia that 3000 series GPUS are ready to go for laptops.

I'm really anxious to see this laptop compared against a mobile 3060Ti or 3070 - and of course the 3080.
I really don't like how NVIDIA confused everyone by removing the Max-Q label on some of the new RTX 3000 laptops. The only way to see relative performance now is to check the TDP of the GPU and also the reviews of the laptop before purchasing. NVIDIA really messed up this time.

Wow, I really didn't expect to see the new Intel iGPU to perform so well! Impressive stuff...real competition is finally back on :)

Impressive!

All Hail Our Holy Lady Dr. Lisa Su!!!

o06ddpdiwwf11.jpg

It really is impressive...I wonder if we will ever see this much care gone into a larger (17 inch?) variant.
Looking forward to Lenovo and XMG Neo 17 models.

This almost looks like a Toshiba business ultraportable. Very, Very impressive to see desktop class performance in tablet-sized designs. Also happy to see the impressive CS:GO results. As a casual gamer, that is what I play mostly and such a design will be perfect for me.

On the other hand, we all know how ASUS nerfed up the cooling solutions on many AMD designs last year. I'm eager to look at thermals, power draw, and at the internals and whether we need to drill holes for optimal temperatures ;)

Wow, I really didn't expect to see the new Intel iGPU to perform so well! Impressive stuff...real competition is finally back on :)

One major thing Intel figured pretty quickly is that an iGPU (like any GPU) needs bandwidth so many new Tiger Lake laptops come with DDR4 4266. AMD is still using DDR4 3200 and is probably staying there for now thanks to Infinity Fabric restrictions. Advantage to Intel, but you need to make sure you're getting an Intel laptop with 4266. Could be Advantage to AMD if both are at 3200.

One major thing Intel figured pretty quickly is that an iGPU (like any GPU) needs bandwidth so many new Tiger Lake laptops come with DDR4 4266. AMD is still using DDR4 3200 and is probably staying there for now thanks to Infinity Fabric restrictions. Advantage to Intel, but you need to make sure you're getting an Intel laptop with 4266. Could be Advantage to AMD if both are at 3200.
Isn‘t that LPDDR4 4266 ? Renoir and Cezanne support that, as well.

Other than Tom's Hardware, I have not seen battery tested. Were you able to see how the 62Wh battery held up? While I would expect the U-series to excel at this, the Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 had great battery life (with a 76Wh battery), and it would be interesting to see how this generation does with 35W.

This balanced and uncompromising performance is enthusiast level. This is how things were/are supposed to be. Renoir takes the lead, enter tiger lake 4cores and takes the single core lead, cezanne equalises the single core lead and extends the multi-thread lead, tiger lake 8 core incoming...

Healthy competition is the best thing that can happen to any sector.

While the improvement is nice and 10% is nothing to sneeze at, it is quite clear that these parts are being bottlenecked by 7nm process and they need a better process.

Like Intel, AMD is cashing in on their premiere processors. I bet this kind of laptops will be high cost and low battery life. Its OK for people working in offices or gaming at home. But it would probably be no road warrior. What is needed now is good, power efficient R3s for the everyday productivity user while the gamers and enthusiasts can have this high end machine.

Like Intel, AMD is cashing in on their premiere processors. I bet this kind of laptops will be high cost and low battery life. Its OK for people working in offices or gaming at home. But it would probably be no road warrior. What is needed now is good, power efficient R3s for the everyday productivity user while the gamers and enthusiasts can have this high end machine.
it's a 35W cpu so in theory it should be fairly power efficient even in this form factor (the gpu is also not a big one), but I also expect the U series to be much much better in terms of battery.

This balanced and uncompromising performance is enthusiast level. This is how things were/are supposed to be. Renoir takes the lead, enter tiger lake 4cores and takes the single core lead, cezanne equalises the single core lead and extends the multi-thread lead, tiger lake 8 core incoming...

Healthy competition is the best thing that can happen to any sector.

There’s about 0 chance Tiger Lake 8 core can find 40% multithreaded

High end laptops always came with a premium price. This is mostly something the OEM decides, the CPU being just a small part of the cost of production. Considering the GPU choice on this laptop, it should not be as expensive as you fear.

Back