AMD Ryzen 9000 Zen 5 CPU specs and launch timeframe revealed in latest leak

DragonSlayer101

Staff
Rumor mill: AMD had already confirmed that its Ryzen 9000-series "Granite Ridge" desktop CPUs will feature Zen 5 cores, use the AM5 socket, and be compatible with existing 600-series motherboards. A tipster has now seemingly revealed many other details about the upcoming processors, including their possible launch timeframe.

In a recent report, we had already revealed that the Ryzen 9000 'Granite Ridge' series had entered mass production, and is on course to hit the market later this year. A new leak from tech YouTuber @highyieldYT now claims that the upcoming processors will debut in the second quarter of this year. The post also reveals that the new chips will feature the same on-package chiplet design as Zen 2/3/4 and the same IO-die as Zen 4.

Next-gen CPUs are reportedly being fabricated using TSMC 4nm ("N4") process technology, and should bring at least a 10 percent improvement in IPC (instructions per cycle). This should result in better performance than the Ryzen 7000 series, despite similar clock speeds. The new processors should support DDR5 memory with speeds up to 6,400 MT/s.

The Ryzen 9000 CPUs are said to offer between 6 and 16 cores, and include either RDNA 2 or RDNA 3.5 integrated graphics. The TDP (thermal design power) of these chips will range between 65 and 170 watts as AMD aims to balance performance and power efficiency. The Granite Ridge processors are believed to come with up to 64MB of L3 cache and 16MB of L2 cache.

Also read: How CPU Cores & Cache Impact Gaming Performance

It's not immediately clear if AMD will also introduce 9000X3D variants of the new chips with additional 3D V-Cache technology, but such a move could further strengthen the company's standing against Intel, especially in the DIY market. AMD first launched a 3D V-Cache processor (Ryzen 7 5800X3D) for desktops in 2022 and followed that up with the launch of the Ryzen 9 7945HX3D for laptops last year.

Not much else is known about Zen 5, but it is rumored to use a hybrid architecture with a mixture of standard and dense "C" cores. It could also include a Ryzen NPU for AI processing like Hawk Point, bringing machine learning optimizations. The Ryzen 9000 series is expected to compete with Intel's Arrow Lake-S desktop CPUs that are expected to be released around September-October 2024.

Permalink to story.

Well AM4 platform is aging like fine wine with the upcoming 5700x3d, so I have 0 reason to upgrade the whole combo for new CPU. My plan is to buy the 5700x3d next year, which will replace my beloved 3600x, then it's the final upgrade. Hopefully AM5 will age well the same or better.

Last AMD CPU roadmap I remember showed Zen 5 and Zen 5 V-cache as seperate products. 64 L3 as standard is confusing.

AM5 has kind of been nerfed for me, the z-height being engineered for compatibility rather than thermal performance isn’t a problem I see being resolved on this socket. All because AMD couldn’t totally shake off the “cost savings” image. I hope they don’t repeat that mistake for AM6.

And yes, I know it’s far worse on Intel, but that shouldn’t be an excuse for AMD to lower their standards too.

Getting those memory training times down would also be a big (and maybe achievable?) goal for AM5 at least… right?

My whole family are now with AMD platform PCs... My first daughter is with my first AMD board from 5 years ago, my second daughter is with my second AMD board, and soon my wife would get my first AMD board from my first daughter and a CPU upgrade and my first daughter would get my current AMD board when I get a new AMD board, kudos to the longevity and flexibility of AMD platform, and I think the tradition will go on for many years to come.

Well AM4 platform is aging like fine wine with the upcoming 5700x3d, so I have 0 reason to upgrade the whole combo for new CPU. My plan is to buy the 5700x3d next year, which will replace my beloved 3600x, then it's the final upgrade. Hopefully AM5 will age well the same or better.

I built a 7800x3D coming from a 5800x3D build, my main concern was the memory instability that is already solven (I sold the 7800x3D system before it... yeah I regret now...). Now I'm back to my 5800x3D system and I agree, AM4 platform is pretty solid... I may in the future upgrade to perhaps the last instance of AM5 as the platform will be fully matured. Nowadays I prefer stability over novelty.

Btw I pair my 5800x3D with a RTX4800, enought performance to game till Ryzen 11k gen (probaly named after 9k series...).

No way, this is complete BS. AMD have in the past 5 years, began to officially tease their CPUs over 6 months before release, and usually dont even release the hardware until about 1.5 to 2 months + AFTER the "official release announcement".

If Zen 5 was really releasing in H1 24, we'd have CERTAINLY seen some official things from AMD by now. 100% BS.

Back