AMD suggests Ryzen will launch before GDC ends in March

Scorpus

Staff member

AMD's Ryzen will launch during GDC 2017, according to a set of notes for an AMD presentation at the upcoming Game Developer Conference (GDC). This little tidbit, which was discovered by several websites, gives Ryzen a more narrow launch window than AMD's vague "Q1 2017" statements.

The most interesting line from AMD's presentation notes was as follows: "Join AMD Game Engineering team members for an introduction to the recently-launched AMD Ryzen CPU followed by advanced optimization topics."

The presentation notes have since been updated to remove the words "recently-launched".

Before the slight changes, AMD was saying that Ryzen will be "recently-launched" by the time they give this presentation at GDC, which suggests the line of CPUs will launch no later than the end of GDC on March 3rd. There is no firm date for when AMD will give this presentation, but GDC itself runs from February 27th to March 3rd.

The most likely scenario is AMD will launch Ryzen towards the start of GDC 2017, and give this presentation later in the conference. Of course, this hasn't been confirmed by AMD, and it appears as though several Ryzen details including clock speeds and launch prices may still be up in the air. 

The good news is PC hardware fans may only have to wait a month and a half to get their hands on Ryzen CPUs. We're eager to get these chips in our labs for testing, and see how AMD's biggest update to their CPU platform in years performs against Intel competition.

Permalink to story.

If we don't have solid pricing and performance at least a week before GDC, that will tell us everything we need to know. And what it will add up to is "don't waste your money."

If Ryzen is so good, why is AMD still trying to sell us on it's technologies rather than price, clocks, and availability? When AMD is quiet, you should worry.

If Ryzen is so good, why is AMD still trying to sell us on it's technologies rather than price, clocks, and availability? When AMD is quiet, you should worry.

The technologies are baked into the hardware and are allot easier to speak of with certainty. The same cannot be said of the latter.

The technologies are baked into the hardware and are allot easier to speak of with certainty. The same cannot be said of the latter.
if they are this close to lanch, they should have already had the SKU's in lock and in production getting ready for the big day.

If they dont have the SKUs finished a month and a half before launch, ohh boy is that going to be a unmitigated disaster.

Intel hardware presentations follow the same 'tech not spec' format shown here. These are industry presentations, not marketing brochures.

Intel hardware presentations follow the same 'tech not spec' format shown here. These are industry presentations, not marketing brochures.

Intel releases their products on time more times than not, unlike AMD. Not sure why you're ignoring their past history. I'm going to remain skeptical until their products live up to the hype.

Intel releases their products on time more times than not, unlike AMD. Not sure why you're ignoring their past history. I'm going to remain skeptical until their products live up to the hype.
I never claimed otherwise. I only disputed that Intel's tradeshow presentations mention technical specifications of unreleased hardware. They might brag about benchmark scores in a presentation - so does AMD - but that is hardly a technical specification.

I never claimed otherwise. I only disputed that Intel's tradeshow presentations mention technical specifications of unreleased hardware. They might brag about benchmark scores in a presentation - so does AMD - but that is hardly a technical specification.

Intel releases products in a timely manner. AMD doesn't.

My guess? Gun shy after things like the big Bulldozer hype push, that ended up being so underwhelming and left them with egg on their faces... Easier to put up some initial info, let the tech sites buzz and hype, and then just throw the new hardware out into the world. Then you can see how it is received, and kick in a big PR push if it has the markers of success.

Intel releases products in a timely manner. AMD doesn't.

Is easy to release on time when each generation is basically a re-hash of the last with minor improvements.

if they are this close to lanch, they should have already had the SKU's in lock and in production getting ready for the big day.

If they dont have the SKUs finished a month and a half before launch, ohh boy is that going to be a unmitigated disaster.

Speculation. No one is going to trust AMD after bulldozer. Just wait till launch, you'll kill yourself guessing what ifs.

Back