AMD to cut 7% of its global workforce after poor Q3

1. Just a week after AMD CEO Rory Read stepped down, to be replaced by COO Lisa Su, the company has announced that it will layoff around 7 percent of its global workforce in an effort to improve its profitability.

Read more
  2. JohnCB

JohnCB TS Booster Posts: 118   +62

I'm actually surprised by that. I thought their 290s were priced very competitively and selling well. If anything I had expected to read that their Embedded systems were suffering and their GPU divisions were doing well.
  3. GhostRyder

GhostRyder You know, that one guy with the PC Posts: 2,189   +589

The problem is not the cards or APU/CPU's themselves and more of the lack of OEM support. People that build machines were snatching up the 290 series like hot cakes and even on the lower end because of the price to performance ratio but in the end the enthusiast market is much smaller than the general public.

More people who buy PC's are going to walk into Walmart/bestbuy/Frys/Computer Store of your choice to pick up a latop/tablet/desktop than run out and build one from scratch and AMD has very few products in OEM machines lately. The laptops are seeing a bit of adoption but the PCs are far and few apart on top of the fact tablets are a hot commodity and AMD has nothing really inside a tablet.

When AMD gets more OEMs (Which has become their focus after the recent fiasco) under their belt and starts delivering more they will come back in a higher power area but its going to be a few years of work still before that really takes effect. Winning the consoles gives them a bonus because it helps them in sales and makes more OEM's willing to start giving them a chance along with programmers working with their products. It will take time but as long as AMD puts a hard focus on deliver the APU's for laptops and eventually tablets the rest will just follow suit.
  4. JohnCB

JohnCB TS Booster Posts: 118   +62

Excellent point. Intel is dominating the laptop market and quite frankly even the low-end machines friends/family/grandparents are using are i3s as well.
  5. Slashing prices on R Card and Slashing Jobs....