TechSpot

AMD's 28nm mobile graphics roadmap leaked

By Matthew
Mar 15, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. DonanimHaber has published a presentation slide that outlines AMD's mobile GPU roadmap for the next year. The company launched its 40nm Radeon HD 6000M chips (codenamed Seymour, Whistler and Blackcomb) last November, and that lineup will remain in play until later this year and early next year as AMD ramps up production and distribution of its next-gen mobile graphics.

Read the whole story

2. mosu

mosu TS Enthusiast Posts: 307

Having TDP's under 65W and advancing to 28nmn process all these GPUs could be integrated with Dual, Quad and even octal core processors!..Can't wait to see that.

3. edison5do

edison5do TS Rookie Posts: 239

Im Up to my savings for get a "Zambezi" later next month, and after that more saving for get a "Chelsea" or even a "HeatThrow", dependin on the price point. Im really exited about it!

4. its not good catalyst 11.4 gives no perfordmance improvements for my hd 5870.

5. First line says it all:

Delivers performance enhancements for the AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series & Windows 7.

6. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,906   +90

I posted a thread about the 11.4 preview drivers a few days ago. it could be a crossfire thing, but I have had across the board improvements with my 4 x 5850 setup. I was surprised because of the 6000 getting the only mention.

7. RadeonHD4000 and 5000 users are doomed, when 7000 series are out same will happen to 6000 cards and ... I have 4890 and don't like this about AMD.

I have an old radeon7000/VE too and you can't find any driver for that, while nvidia drivers are still supporting my old geforce mx. Last time wasting money on AMD products x(

8. red1776

you are kidding ..right?

http://download.cnet.com/Radeon-7000-Radeon-VE/3000-2108_4-124915.html
    http://www.nodevice.com/driver/Radeon_7000/get34927.html
    http://www.soft32.com/Download/Free/RADEON_7000__RADEON_VE_Microsoft_Corporation/4-177174-1.html
    http://driver.wareseeker.com/Other/radeon-7000-radeon-ve-6.13.10.6118.zip/1ea5140e3a
    http://www.radarsync.com/drivers/d123873-radeon_7000_radeon_ve_family_(microsoft_corporation)
    http://www.bioticaindia.com/radeon-7000-ve.html
    http://device-driver.org/topic/ati-driver-support.php?q=1&tid=bradx&src=b

yeah huh?...****! only a decade of support left.

lets see....
    you have a decade old graphic card that is still functioning...
    and you just learned that you can in fact get drivers for it.

you either should re-evaluate your position...or accept the fact that you over-share.

9. mosu

mosu TS Enthusiast Posts: 307

Reading comments make me wonder what makes some anonymous guest (or not anonymous) posting trolls do what they do against AMD/ATI and why.Being a fan is one thing, trolling is another.

10. Rancid

Rancid TS Rookie Posts: 20

Well put Red;)
    R~

11. Nope, they are outdated drivers and they aren't maintained actively by AMD anymore, but nvidia ones are still included with official driver packages and I can run Windows 7 x64, play games without any problems with the old geforce card.

Support means improvements for older cards too, not just bundling support for newer cards and forgetting older ones. I bet you can't see any improvements for 6000 series after 7000 series being out. ATM I'm sticking to 10.10 driver for my 4890, because screen starts flickering with newer drivers and there is artifacts in some games.

I didn't just payed for a few capacitors, that contains long term support too. How do you feel when you should search in junkyard for your car parts after your car company just discontinued that after 3 years of release?
    That's why I prefer nvidia and won't go near AMD/ATI anymore.

@red1776 : It looks like that your google-foo only is good, please think a bit more before throwing links blindly and be polite. Thanks.

@mosu : Call me whatever you like, just my 2 cents.

Thanks again to TechSpot for being an open forum.

12. red1776

1) Do you really expect ongoing performance enhancements for a 10 year old card? your ancient 7000 isn't going any faster than it was 5 years ago, any more than the Voodoo 3 I have laying around here is. Consider your 7000/VE OPTIMIZED.
    2) every link I posted went to 7000 drivers
    3) I am the owner of a 4890 with current drivers...no problems.
    4)
    ....huh?
    5)
    YES....It's an outdated card. Exactly how long do you believe they are obligated to write new performance enhancing drivers for your card? What was...oopps...I obviously mean is the warranty on that card?
    6)
    ummm...how long? why don't you try RMA'ing your MX...and see what happens.
    6a) Good lord...do you have any idea what 10 computer years is in dog years?

7) Don't flip the switch with the yellow sticker over it...cuz then your definitely screwed!

13. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,286   +232

While red1776 has pretty much hit the nail on the head in refuting your anonymous little anti-AMD rant here, I just have to point out the above quotes and wonder if you realize just how hypocritical you are? I have used nVidia cards for years, pretty much exclusively up until the last couple of years, and I still am dropping "team green" cards into at least half of the gaming PCs I build. And I still maintain computers that I built over the years. Oh, and guess what? Even with the newest builds of nVidia's drivers, the typical experience is this: THERE ARE NO MEASURABLE IMPROVEMENTS ON CARDS AS OLD AS THE ONES YOU HAVE. The guys at nVidia have the same goal as AMD, same target, and that is always optimizing the CURRENT generations of GPUs, first and foremost. By now, every ounce of optimizing that could be done for 10 year old GPU tech has been done for at least 5 years. Sure, the cards are still supported, but "updated" drivers for those old cards, they are not. It's the same code, sometimes in a slightly different package, with new version numbers. Period.

But hey, keep smokin what you are smokin, and abandon AMD for your delusional greener pastures, if you wish. Just don't expect hypocritical bashing rants to snow those of us with a modicum of experience, knowledge, and some common sense.

14. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

Haha! What?

An automobile has a 'useful life' of possibly 15-20 years and it costs tens of thousands of dollars... Your analogy is comically bad.

Your 7000/VE was practically obsolete when it was purchased, let alone 9 years later. Asking for 9 years of support -- especially for a budget video card and *especially* for anything related to technology -- is absolutely absurd.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.