AMD's 28nm mobile graphics roadmap leaked

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

DonanimHaber has published a presentation slide that outlines AMD's mobile GPU roadmap for the next year. The company launched its 40nm Radeon HD 6000M chips (codenamed Seymour, Whistler and Blackcomb) last November, and that lineup will remain in play until later this year and early next year as AMD ramps up production and distribution of its next-gen mobile graphics.

The Radeon HD 7000M will be manufactured on a 28nm process and features four GPUs: Thames, Chelsea, Heathrow and Wimbledon (least to most powerful). Slated for release in November 2011, Thames will have a slightly higher TDP of 15-25W than Seymour (6400M) and it pack twice the performance, which is partially thanks to a 128-bit memory interface (up from 64-bit).

AMD appears to be blurring the lines between its mainstream and performance segments. Chelsea will operate in the 20-30W range and also features a 128-bit bus. Nonetheless, it should bring a 30% speed increase over existing Whistler products (6600M/6700M). It's also due in the last quarter of this year, presumably alongside if not soon after the arrival of Thames-based chips.

AMD is preparing two enthusiast GPUs representing different thermal levels. Heathrow will have a TDP above 35W and will be offered in 128-bit/192-bit variants with 1.5GB/3GB of VRAM. Meanwhile, Wimbledon will represent the series flagship, featuring a 256-bit interface and a 65W TDP. Heathrow should land this year while Wimbledon is coming in the second quarter of 2012.

In other company news, AMD has announced an initiative dubbed "Project Mjölnir" that focuses on "increasing performance and providing improved stability of the AMD Catalyst software." To kick things off, the company released a Catalyst 11.4 preview that brings various enhancements, features and bug fixes. You can download the update here and read the highlights below:

• Delivers performance enhancements for the AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series & Windows 7.
    • Up to 70% performance improvement in Civilization V
    • Up to 49% performance improvement in Call of Duty: Black Ops
    • Up to 23% performance improvement in F1 2010
    • Up to 21% performance improvement in Wolfenstein MP
    • Up to 15% performance improvement in Tom Clancy's HAWX
    • Up to 17% performance improvement in STALKER: Call of Pripyat
    • Up to 28% performance improvement in metro2033
    • Up to 33% performance improvement in Left 4 Dead 2
    • Up to 26% performance improvement in FarCry 2
    • Up to 15% performance improvement in Crysis Warhead
    • Up to 50% performance improvement in Unigine Heaven
    • Up to 22% performance improvement in Batman: Arkham Asylum
    • Up to 19% performance improvement in Aliens Vs. Predator
  • Includes enhancements to the AMD Catalyst Control Center
    • New task based Display Management controls
      • Simplifies the configuration of displays and display setting
    • New Eyefinity setup group
      • Setting up an Eyefinity group has never been easier
    • New branding (based on system configuration)
      • AMD based platform – AMD VISION Engine Control Center
      • Discrete AMD GPU with Intel CPU – AMD Catalyst Control Center
    • AMD Catalyst update notification (found within the Information Center)
      • Please note this functionality is not yet enabled, but will be in a future AMD Catalyst release
      • This feature will be used to notify users that new AMD Catalyst software packages are available
  • Includes fixes where Dragon Age 2 would hang in DirectX11 on ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series products.
  • Includes fixes where MediaEspresso 6.5 and 6.0 may crash while initializing

Permalink to story.

Having TDP's under 65W and advancing to 28nmn process all these GPUs could be integrated with Dual, Quad and even octal core processors!..Can't wait to see that.

Im Up to my savings for get a "Zambezi" later next month, and after that more saving for get a "Chelsea" or even a "HeatThrow", dependin on the price point. Im really exited about it!

its not good catalyst 11.4 gives no perfordmance improvements for my hd 5870.

First line says it all:

Delivers performance enhancements for the AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series & Windows 7.

its not good catalyst 11.4 gives no perfordmance improvements for my hd 5870.

I posted a thread about the 11.4 preview drivers a few days ago. it could be a crossfire thing, but I have had across the board improvements with my 4 x 5850 setup. I was surprised because of the 6000 getting the only mention.

RadeonHD4000 and 5000 users are doomed, when 7000 series are out same will happen to 6000 cards and ... I have 4890 and don't like this about AMD.

I have an old radeon7000/VE too and you can't find any driver for that, while nvidia drivers are still supporting my old geforce mx. Last time wasting money on AMD products x(

RadeonHD4000 and 5000 users are doomed, when 7000 series are out same will happen to 6000 cards and ... I have 4890 and don't like this about AMD.

I have an old radeon7000/VE too and you can't find any driver for that, while nvidia drivers are still supporting my old geforce mx. Last time wasting money on AMD products x(

you are kidding ..right?

http://download.cnet.com/Radeon-7000-Radeon-VE/3000-2108_4-124915.html
http://www.nodevice.com/driver/Radeon_7000/get34927.html
http://www.soft32.com/Download/Free/RADEON_7000__RADEON_VE_Microsoft_Corporation/4-177174-1.html
http://driver.wareseeker.com/Other/radeon-7000-radeon-ve-6.13.10.6118.zip/1ea5140e3a
http://www.radarsync.com/drivers/d123873-radeon_7000_radeon_ve_family_(microsoft_corporation)
http://www.bioticaindia.com/radeon-7000-ve.html
http://device-driver.org/topic/ati-driver-support.php?q=1&tid=bradx&src=b

RadeonHD4000 and 5000 users are doomed

yeah huh?...****! only a decade of support left.

Last time wasting money on AMD products

lets see....
you have a decade old graphic card that is still functioning...
and you just learned that you can in fact get drivers for it.

you either should re-evaluate your position...or accept the fact that you over-share.

Reading comments make me wonder what makes some anonymous guest (or not anonymous) posting trolls do what they do against AMD/ATI and why.Being a fan is one thing, trolling is another.

red1776 said:
you are kidding ..right?
Nope, they are outdated drivers and they aren't maintained actively by AMD anymore, but nvidia ones are still included with official driver packages and I can run Windows 7 x64, play games without any problems with the old geforce card.

red1776 said:
yeah huh?...****! only a decade of support left.
Support means improvements for older cards too, not just bundling support for newer cards and forgetting older ones. I bet you can't see any improvements for 6000 series after 7000 series being out. ATM I'm sticking to 10.10 driver for my 4890, because screen starts flickering with newer drivers and there is artifacts in some games.

red1776 said:
lets see....
you have a decade old graphic card that is still functioning...
and you just learned that you can in fact get drivers for it.
I didn't just payed for a few capacitors, that contains long term support too. How do you feel when you should search in junkyard for your car parts after your car company just discontinued that after 3 years of release?
That's why I prefer nvidia and won't go near AMD/ATI anymore.

@red1776 : It looks like that your google-foo only is good, please think a bit more before throwing links blindly and be polite. Thanks.

@mosu : Call me whatever you like, just my 2 cents.

Thanks again to TechSpot for being an open forum.

1) Do you really expect ongoing performance enhancements for a 10 year old card? your ancient 7000 isn't going any faster than it was 5 years ago, any more than the Voodoo 3 I have laying around here is. Consider your 7000/VE OPTIMIZED.
2) every link I posted went to 7000 drivers
3) I am the owner of a 4890 with current drivers...no problems.
4)
I didn't just payed for a few capacitors
....huh?
5)
Nope, they are outdated drivers
YES....It's an outdated card. Exactly how long do you believe they are obligated to write new performance enhancing drivers for your card? What was...oopps...I obviously mean is the warranty on that card?
6)
, that contains long term support too
ummm...how long? why don't you try RMA'ing your MX...and see what happens.
6a) Good lord...do you have any idea what 10 computer years is in dog years?

7) Don't flip the switch with the yellow sticker over it...cuz then your definitely screwed!

Guest said:
Support means improvements for older cards too, not just bundling support for newer cards and forgetting older ones. I bet you can't see any improvements for 6000 series after 7000 series being out. ATM I'm sticking to 10.10 driver for my 4890, because screen starts flickering with newer drivers and there is artifacts in some games.

I didn't just payed for a few capacitors, that contains long term support too. How do you feel when you should search in junkyard for your car parts after your car company just discontinued that after 3 years of release?
That's why I prefer nvidia and won't go near AMD/ATI anymore.

While red1776 has pretty much hit the nail on the head in refuting your anonymous little anti-AMD rant here, I just have to point out the above quotes and wonder if you realize just how hypocritical you are? I have used nVidia cards for years, pretty much exclusively up until the last couple of years, and I still am dropping "team green" cards into at least half of the gaming PCs I build. And I still maintain computers that I built over the years. Oh, and guess what? Even with the newest builds of nVidia's drivers, the typical experience is this: THERE ARE NO MEASURABLE IMPROVEMENTS ON CARDS AS OLD AS THE ONES YOU HAVE. The guys at nVidia have the same goal as AMD, same target, and that is always optimizing the CURRENT generations of GPUs, first and foremost. By now, every ounce of optimizing that could be done for 10 year old GPU tech has been done for at least 5 years. Sure, the cards are still supported, but "updated" drivers for those old cards, they are not. It's the same code, sometimes in a slightly different package, with new version numbers. Period.

But hey, keep smokin what you are smokin, and abandon AMD for your delusional greener pastures, if you wish. Just don't expect hypocritical bashing rants to snow those of us with a modicum of experience, knowledge, and some common sense.

Guest said:

Haha! What?

An automobile has a 'useful life' of possibly 15-20 years and it costs tens of thousands of dollars... Your analogy is comically bad.

Your 7000/VE was practically obsolete when it was purchased, let alone 9 years later. Asking for 9 years of support -- especially for a budget video card and *especially* for anything related to technology -- is absolutely absurd.

Back