AMD's next-gen Corona desktop platform to fuse CPU with Northbridge

Shawn Knight

Staff member

It has been revealed via a leaked roadmap that AMD’s next generation enthusiast-level desktop platform will combine the processor silicon with the Northbridge. According to marketing slides obtained by Zol.com.cn, the new platform is codenamed Corona and will use Komodo CPUs.

The document indicates that Komodo will have up to 10 Piledriver CPU cores, feature AMD Turbo Core 3.0, DDR3 memory and will use the FM2 infrastructure. Piledriver is the name of the new CPU architecture that will be the successor to Bulldozer, also commonly referred to as the second generation of Bulldozer.

The Hudson D4 FCH (Fusion Controller Hub) will provide up to eight SATA 6Gb/s ports, RAID 0/1/5/10 support, 10 USB 2.0 ports and four USB 3.0 ports. Although it’s not specifically stated, it’s safe to assume that the new FM2 infrastructure won’t be backwards compatible with AM3+.

amd corona cpu northbridge desktop amd piledriver

Next generation AMD discrete graphics will also accompany the new platform, but at this time not much else is known about AMD’s plans aside from a 2012 release date. In the meantime AMD fans have the first Bulldozer release to look forward to, which could come as early as September 19.

AMD is resurrecting their FX moniker for use on high-end processors, a throwback to enthusiast-level products with the same branding dating back to 2003. Turkish website DonanimHaber got their hands on an engineering sample earlier this month and broke NDA by releasing benchmarks from a FX-8130P CPU. Pricing for this particular CPU is said to be around $320.

Permalink to story.

I am not sure why sites continue to reference the donaminhaber leaked benchmarks. There is some question as to whether they are fake or not. In any case, I wish we had some official benchmarks to look at at this point, but as usual with (at least) AMD releases, we won't see anything official until the processor is released and the review sites are given the green light to publish their results.

Lets all join hands and pray AMD can make some competition for Intel. Cheaper i5s would be all the better :D

My OC'ed 1090T will last till Piledriver comes online, just add a 2nd HD6970 and wait..

poor AMD, this was a horrible item to have leaked, allot of enthusiasts will just wait for these 2nd gen models.

So it's Scorpius / Socket AM3+ versus Sandy Bridge / LGA 1155 while Corona / Socket FM2 squares up against Sandy Bridge-E / LGA 2011. This is going to be very interesting. I hope AMD will not price its FM2 parts as high as Intel's Extreme Edition parts or like the FX CPUs of the past.

There is no question. It has been confirmed that DonanimHaber's information is false by the very source they paid for said information. To refer to it completely destroys the credibility of this article as far as I'm concerned.

Back