AMD's six-core Thuban to have feature like Turbo Boost?

By Matthew
Feb 8, 2010
  1. Sources close to AMD said the company's six-core Thuban processors have some form of dynamic speed boost technology called "C-state performance boost." Intel has incorporated a similar feature into certain Core i5 and i7 processors called Turbo Boost, which allows an operating system to adjust the clock frequencies of a CPU's cores based on performance requirements and the chip's TDP specifications.

Read the whole story
  2. Regenweald

Regenweald TS Rookie Posts: 143

Hardware based overdrive ? sweet. 6 frackin cores in 2010. WOW. I'm still rocking an AMD Athlon X2 2.1 GHz
    I need to start fixing more PC's.
  3. Great, hope they put the feature on all their new CPU line too. I will buy one of it wether i already had PII 955 now hahaha. Because i trust on AMD as my financial advisor to buy value CPU.
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

5. Seeing as how Thuban's "Turbo Mode" sounds suspiciously like the power gating feature planned for Llano, I wonder if AMD slipped in a few other "future tech" into Thuban as well. I suppose they've included "power aware clock grid" design in there as well?
  6. Overclockers would normally disable turbo.
    What I want to see on this monster is multithreading support.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.