TechSpot

Amps and Receivers for Home Theatre System

By suby007
Dec 5, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi

I'm planning on buying a good home theatre system(any recommendations).

Anyways I wanna know should I buy a receiver or an amp to connect the home theatre to all my multimedia hardware(PS3, Projector , DVD, Blu ray)

Also what is the difference between receiver and amp?

Is it better if I have both a receiver and an amp?

Thanks,
    suby
  2. halo71

halo71 TS Rookie Posts: 1,289

Well I can't recommend anything really because you haven't said what your budget is. The difference between a receiver and an amp is the receiver is both a tuner, preamp and an amplifier. While an amp is just an amp! If you decide to go the separates route, you will need a preamp to go with the amp. Personally I prefer to have separate components. On the other hand, your asking what the difference between the two components says very limited knowledge of HT. So I would recommend you go with a receiver.
  3. suby007

suby007 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 23

So the receiver will work for PS3 and DVD player and TV, all of 'em?
  4. halo71

halo71 TS Rookie Posts: 1,289

yes it will.
  5. SAVAGExCHAOS

SAVAGExCHAOS TS Rookie Posts: 16

hey there,
    i work as a computer tech and also install home theater systems. i would recommend getting a new yamaha or denon amp. yamaha's have great sound modes. both av receiver brands have 4 HDMI 1.3 input ports. then you could hook up a ps3, etc. both av receiver lines have multi zone amps which mean you can put speakers in other rooms or combine the main zone with zone 2 for dolby 7.1 or 7.2 surround sound. hope this helps, i can recommend specific models if you posted a price range.
  6. suby007

suby007 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 23

So I wanna use a home theatre in Pakistan...we got 210/220 over there. Is a 110V -220V converter gonna work fine?

Can you tell me some good home theater systems with a receiver for under $300?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.