An excellent free Anti-Spyware program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-Guy

I'd like an alternative to Ad-Aware please.
I tried the SuperAnti-Spyware, I think that's what it was called, but it uses BootSafe which I prefer not to have.

Does anyone have any other suggestions/ideas?

Thanks.

Spybot Search & Destroy is commonly referenced as a decent free anti-spyware application.

*Edit*

:) Too slow, sorry Bobbye.

spybot S&S is excellent.

always turn off system restore if you suspect you're infected before running anti-viri and anti sypware programs. turn back on if you wish when clean.

Tedster, at least that makes two of us in favor of turning off System Restore before a cleaning process begins! I have an ongoing war with some when I advise doing this- they say 'an infected restore point is better than none at all'! How do you reason with that level of thought?!

Maybe I'm bad at playing this computer technician game, but, I usually disable System Restore on my machines all together :p. If I'm managing someones system's for free (such as family), I'll disable their System Restore as well.

I wouldn't recommend that. SR has saved a lot of users when they know how to use it- including setting their own restore points!

Bobbye said:
Tedster, at least that makes two of us in favor of turning off System Restore before a cleaning process begins! I have an ongoing war with some when I advise doing this- they say 'an infected restore point is better than none at all'! How do you reason with that level of thought?!
many viri will regenerate from system restore. In addition SR also slows down the system AND eats hard drive space.

Bobbye said:

Some tools like ComboFix, OTMoveIt and The Avenger could seriously damage your system if used wrong. Thats why an infected restore point is better than none at all, its one of the first things you learn when doing the anti malware training.

Well, since I haven't gone through "the" malware training, guess I'm not bound by those rules- at this point.

However, I am not in favor of disabling the restore process all together. SR has been the salvation of many! Yes, it does take up some "space"- which can be regulated, but sometimes it's a trade-off. I'd rather keep System Restore operative than download a bunch of software programs that take up "space" to do what I can do myself within the operating system!

I have a follow up question here:
IF the System Restore is turned off and the restore points are dropped, isn't the 'Last Known Good Configuration' still available through Safe Mode?

I believe it does, yes. It stores a copy of the registry's hardware configuration and driver settings when the OS boots. Separate feature from System Restore as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back