An exclusive CPU and faster RAM could make the next iPhone Pro even more desirable

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: TF International Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes Apple will stray from its familiar formula with the upcoming iPhone 14 family. Should it prove true, the change would further differentiate base model iPhones from their Pro counterparts and perhaps justify the latter's higher price tag.

To date, Apple’s Pro-series iPhones have utilized the same processor as their base model counterparts. That could change with the iPhone 14 family as Kuo believes the two Pro models will ship with a new A16 CPU while the standard iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Max will stick with the A15 Bionic from the iPhone 13 lineup.

All are likely to come with 6GB of RAM, but the Pro models will sport LPDDR5 while the others will ship with the same LPDDR4X from the current-gen iPhone. Today’s Pro models feature 6GB of LPDDR4X memory while the standard iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini ship with 4GB of the same.

If true, the move would make the Pro models even more desirable and further differentiate them from the mainstream models. The change could additionally set a precedent where Apple introduces a new chip in Pro models first before it trickles down to the more affordable lines the following year.

It’s unclear what sort of adjustments would be made to pricing as a result of the changes. Presumably, the Pro models would get a slight price bump to account for the new processor and faster RAM but that is pure speculation at this point.

Apple is expected to unveil its next-gen iPhones sometime in early September 2022.

Image credit Jason Leung

Permalink to story.

It's amazing how powerful iPhone has gotten. I will definitely buy iPhone 14 Pro 1TB if for nothing more than the processing power for 4K 60fps videos.

The only thing I care about is if it will have Touch ID or not. Performance wise, I'm sure it will be good enough either way. I have waited for many years to replace my iPhone 8 now, because I don't want a phone without Touch ID and I can only use iPhones at work (otherwise I'd picked an Android).

This means they can at a minimum add 20% to the existing premium price.

$1200-1500 iPhone "Pro" here we come!

My iPhone XS MAX 512GB and iPhone 13 Pro Max 1TB were both almost $1700. We've already gotten past the $1200-$1500 point.

My iPhone XS MAX 512GB and iPhone 13 Pro Max 1TB were both almost $1700. We've already gotten past the $1200-$1500 point.
Yikes. Hopefully there will be enough of the market OK with shelling that much out on a more regular basis, instead of that being a niche group in the Apple community.

I thought that since iOS was SOOO much better than android that it didn't need more memory?
iOS requires significantly less memory to perform the same tasks as Android based devices due to the way memory is managed. On Android all apps must be loaded into active memory, its not able to "page" data to disk when apps are not in use. One of Apples closest guarded secrets is its memory compression algorithm for iOS, it saves them tonnes of money on memory modules to achieve the same performance as its competitor.

This is not however to be confused with assuming that iphones will not ever need any more memory.

Yikes. Hopefully there will be enough of the market OK with shelling that much out on a more regular basis, instead of that being a niche group in the Apple community.
Apparently Samsung are selling a lot of foldables, they cost far more than top end iphones today.

Never underestimate peoples ability to waste money. Lots of people spend thousands on Louis Vuitton bags! My girlfriend spent £600 on Gucci trainers because shes a vain lunatic.

Desirable for whom? The vast majority of iPhone users don't even use the phone to it's full potential. Are there any actual new features to upgrade for, like a usb-c port? lol
I would like it. Most of the time I dont use my iphone to its full potential. Every now and then I make a video on it and any phone will benefit from more CPU power when you are doing that. But also im a tech enthusiast and Apple tech is the fastest and slickest going right now (unless you care about foldables). Also, I think it might help keep the device relevant for longer. Currently my iPhone 11 Pro Max is now 2.5 years old, its not slow at all but it could be quicker!

Desirable for whom? The vast majority of iPhone users don't even use the phone to it's full potential. Are there any actual new features to upgrade for, like a usb-c port? lol

I use my iPhone for content creation. Either I'm connecting a Lighting-to-HDMI attachment to it to use the camera as a video recorder (a very good one in fact) or I'm recording, editing and uploading videos to Youtube.

For me: storage space, battery life and 4K60 fps video processing speed is everything.

But when you get to the actual phone itself, It's great and I enjoy watching Youtube on it or various social medias.

iOS requires significantly less memory to perform the same tasks as Android based devices due to the way memory is managed. On Android all apps must be loaded into active memory, its not able to "page" data to disk when apps are not in use. One of Apples closest guarded secrets is its memory compression algorithm for iOS, it saves them tonnes of money on memory modules to achieve the same performance as its competitor.
I try to make it obvious when I'm being sarcastic but I understand that text doesn't convey the nuances of normal conversation, don't take my posts so seriously.

iOS actually does a much better job of memory management than Android, I was mostly making fun of the people who say Android only needs more ram because it's coded poorly. While true, it's always nice to have more ram especially with how cheap it is. There is no reason to not add ram to the iPhone. With what iPhones costs they should come with more ram just for having a premium price.

I try to make it obvious when I'm being sarcastic but I understand that text doesn't convey the nuances of normal conversation, don't take my posts so seriously.

iOS actually does a much better job of memory management than Android, I was mostly making fun of the people who say Android only needs more ram because it's coded poorly. While true, it's always nice to have more ram especially with how cheap it is. There is no reason to not add ram to the iPhone. With what iPhones costs they should come with more ram just for having a premium price.
Sorry, if you impersonate an Apple hater I have to assume you are amongst the lowest common denominators within our society.

I would like it. Most of the time I dont use my iphone to its full potential. Every now and then I make a video on it and any phone will benefit from more CPU power when you are doing that. But also im a tech enthusiast and Apple tech is the fastest and slickest going right now (unless you care about foldables). Also, I think it might help keep the device relevant for longer. Currently my iPhone 11 Pro Max is now 2.5 years old, its not slow at all but it could be quicker!
It would be nice, sure. But is it that desirable (or would even be noticeable) to upgrade if you have a recent model? It's a given these days that new phones have better stats lol

I use my iPhone for content creation. Either I'm connecting a Lighting-to-HDMI attachment to it to use the camera as a video recorder (a very good one in fact) or I'm recording, editing and uploading videos to Youtube.

For me: storage space, battery life and 4K60 fps video processing speed is everything.

But when you get to the actual phone itself, It's great and I enjoy watching Youtube on it or various social medias.
You aren't in that majority I talked about.
Though, funny enough, you've picked the 1 phone brand that's guaranteed to never have expandable storage (because Apple knows best) lol

It would be nice, sure. But is it that desirable (or would even be noticeable) to upgrade if you have a recent model? It's a given these days that new phones have better stats lol
Of course its desirable. Same reason why im looking to replace my RTX 2080 with a new GPU this year when Nvidia release the 4000 series. Despite the fact that my 2080 runs any game just fine. I like new tech, thats why im here, im an enthusiast.

In all honesty its the camera that appeals to me the most on a phone. But phone camers get better with the CPU. Thats how Apple managed to get phones with 4K60 HDR before anyone else, as 4K HDR required your CPU to take 120fps of 4K data to get the HDR.

Of course its desirable. Same reason why im looking to replace my RTX 2080 with a new GPU this year when Nvidia release the 4000 series. Despite the fact that my 2080 runs any game just fine. I like new tech, thats why im here, im an enthusiast.

In all honesty its the camera that appeals to me the most on a phone. But phone camers get better with the CPU. Thats how Apple managed to get phones with 4K60 HDR before anyone else, as 4K HDR required your CPU to take 120fps of 4K data to get the HDR.
Let me emphasize it a bit better than my last comment: is it that much more desirable for the average consumer?
A more expensive phone will (generally) be desirable and faster, but does knowing it has an exclusive CPU and a bit faster RAM do anything more?

This would also make it easier for Apple to discontinue prior models. There wouldn’t be a need to sell iPhone 13 alongside iPhone 14 if they are largely the same.

The only thing I care about is if it will have Touch ID or not. Performance wise, I'm sure it will be good enough either way. I have waited for many years to replace my iPhone 8 now, because I don't want a phone without Touch ID and I can only use iPhones at work (otherwise I'd picked an Android).

Same. I still have an iPhone 6S Plus because the SE (which has touch ID) doesn't come in the plus size. I like big phones and touch ID and would very much like to see the next phone have touch ID.

You know what else would make these phones more "pro"?

A big 5000+ MaH battery for the big phone, like android phoens offer. So the "pros" could use the device more more then 4 hours on a charge.

Let me emphasize it a bit better than my last comment: is it that much more desirable for the average consumer?
A more expensive phone will (generally) be desirable and faster, but does knowing it has an exclusive CPU and a bit faster RAM do anything more?
Thats what drives the Android phone market. Look at the marketing for a Galaxy or a Xioami etx and its all lists and list of specs and has been for years.

The thing is Apple will outsell every other brand by a massive amount, will that be because they gave their devices a better CPU? We will never know.

Personally as a tech enthusiast I prefer a better CPU and RAM over being able to fold in half.

Thats what drives the Android phone market. Look at the marketing for a Galaxy or a Xioami etx and its all lists and list of specs and has been for years.

The thing is Apple will outsell every other brand by a massive amount, will that be because they gave their devices a better CPU? We will never know.

Personally as a tech enthusiast I prefer a better CPU and RAM over being able to fold in half.
You'll love being able to fold it in half when Apple makes a foldable device. After all, you're an enthusiast, LOL.

You aren't in that majority I talked about.
Though, funny enough, you've picked the 1 phone brand that's guaranteed to never have expandable storage (because Apple knows best) lol

I am happy with iPhone. Last thing I want is those terrible unreliable Micro SD cards. I prefer NAND flash.

I am happy with iPhone. Last thing I want is those terrible unreliable Micro SD cards. I prefer NAND flash.
Yeah, that "terrible" standard that is used with professional cameras and a myriad of other devices because of how "unreliable" it is... /s

Not interested in Iphones, but curious regarding how it will compare with other smartphone makers.
20+ above Samsung in performance for example would be a great success in my opinion.
But as I remember from desktop tests, whenever new type of ram was released it barily made sense to upgrade.

Back