An EZ question ?

By Driverx.x.x
Jan 8, 2006
  1. Hi all ,

I had recently bought a powercolor ati radeon 9600 pro 128 mb grafix card and I noticed that it was an EZ edition, a sticker was pasted on the box "EZ edition core/memory 400/400" . I know that means its 400 mhz gpu core clock and 400 mhz memory clock. I installed 3dmark 2003 and checked the details section and was like showing around 400 mhz for gpu and 200 mhz for memory. I understand that the memory is ddr and that's the reason why probably the actual 200 mhz corresponds to the 400 mhz listed on the box.

What I really want to know is, Is the EZ edition a strip down version of a normal ati radeon 9600 pro grafix card ? or is it supposed to be a step ahead ?
    I wasn't impressed by the memory clock speed at all ,and I am guessing that for a 9600 pro card, its usually faster . I tried searching for more info about the EZ edition on the internet but couldn't get much. also am planning on upgrading to a 9800 pro cuz doom3 performance with 9600 pro is a bit sucky.
    You can only get satisfactory game performance when set to the medium settings , you can play it on the high settings however when the action starts to set in things start getting outta hand .

2. Vaerilis

Vaerilis TS Rookie Posts: 54

It's a cheaper, lighter version of the 9600pro. You probably won't be able to squeeze much more from the card, as the EZ editions usually use memory rated at 5 ns (200MHz) to decrease costs, so even overclocking is out of the question (the core may OC well, but it won't help much).
  3. Driverx.x.x

Driverx.x.x TS Rookie Topic Starter

Different versions of 9800 pro ?

Hi again ,
    do you know if there are different versions even for a ati 9800 pro ? I don't want to get duped again . You order for something and you get the cheapest version of the product out there and you need to pay the actual price too, now thats bad , the rad 9600 pro EZ costed me around $160 , tax and all and that's like really bad , the 9800 pro is offered for about $190. I want to know if the card comes in cheaper and lighter versions of itself.

4. Vaerilis

Vaerilis TS Rookie Posts: 54

There are multiple variants.

I advise you to stay away from the 128bit versions (~40% slower), and the 9800SE cards (half speed).

Try to get a regular 9800pro with 128MB, or 256MB of memory (there is no real difference in speed, but in the latter case, be careful not to buy a card with lower-than-usual clock rates), and a memory bandwidth of 256bits.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.