An Overwatch 2 bug is causing sudden PC shutdowns, BSOD, and freezing

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: Overwatch 2's problem-filled launch continues. Blizzard says it is looking into a bug in the multiplayer FPS that's causing PCs to shut down. It's unclear what's causing the issue, but suggestions include the game overheating CPUs, memory leaks, and conflicts with specific antivirus software.

The first reports of the issues arrived on Blizzard's forum around ten days ago. In addition to shutting down a PC, others write that they've experienced restarts, freezes, or a Blue Screen of Death.

Blizzard acknowledged reports of the bug in a tweet that reads: "We are currently investigating an issue with computers restarting or shutting down while playing #Overwatch2."

Technical forum agent Jambrix is asking those affected to aid Blizzard in its investigation by posting their DXDIAG. They also posted instructions on how to do this and advised using Pastebin if the DXDIAG is too long.

People have been speculating about what is causing the issues. A user called Azgorath claims it is a result of Overwatch 2 spiking CPU temperatures to the point where a system shuts off to protect itself; their Ryzen 2700x reached over 100 degrees Celsius when they were in the queue to get into the game. A different user believes the problem is related to a memory leak, and there have been reports of the BSOD showing dpc_watchdog_violation errors.

PCMag writes that Jambrix suggests this all stems from "a specific situation where 360 Total Security" causes some PCs to shut down or restart while playing the game, so uninstalling the antivirus software could fix things. As for the Blue Screens of Death, Jambrix suggests it may be related to Nvidia Broadcast or any program that uses RTX Voice.

Overwatch 2's launch makes Cyberpunk 2077's release look smooth by comparison. A DDoS attack on launch day resulted in massive queues and many people unable to access the game. The SMS Protect 2FA system meant those with pre-paid phones couldn't play the game. A chat bug charged users randomly for skins without informing them. And Blizzard had to pull and fix characters due to players exploiting them.

Permalink to story.

This is old, a newest OW2 bug appeeared today, and right after you start to play a match the bug is stopping the match, uninstalling OW2 completely for all 10 players from the match, and advice them to find another game to play, which is not Pay to Play and Pay to Win as OW2 :laughing:

This is old, a newest OW2 bug appeeared today, and right after you start to play a match the bug is stopping the match, uninstalling OW2 completely for all 10 players from the match, and advice them to find another game to play, which is not Pay to Play and Pay to Win as OW2 :laughing:
Nowadays, that sounds more like a feature.

"Overwatch 2's launch makes Cyberpunk 2077's release look smooth by comparison."

Uh, not even close. I understand OW2 launch wasn't smooth.. but compared to CP2077's meltdown of launch, it was a small hiccup.

"Overwatch 2's launch makes Cyberpunk 2077's release look smooth by comparison."

Uh, not even close. I understand OW2 launch wasn't smooth.. but compared to CP2077's meltdown of launch, it was a small hiccup.
No I agree with the article, I really didn't have that many problems with Cyberpunk 2077 when it launched, had bugs but nothing that stopped me from playing.

OW2 though, I've sorta given up after a few days in, it's pretty bad.

I also wouldn't call Cyberpunk's launch a meltdown either, just rubbish. Meltdown would be Battlefield 2042 or GTA Trilogy launches. They were truly terrible and BF 2042 still isn't worth playing a year later...

I haven't run into any of those problems, but I don't play 7x24 either. And yeah, taking a 2 whole hours to fix a bug, well that's just downright criminal!

I think "dumpster" fire is a bit over the top.
This post aging like fine milk

Cyberpunk's launch was just the hype balloon that had blown up on it being popped, force multiplied by console gamers utterly losing their **** over getting a bad port and the media finally getting its chance to dunk on CDPR.

Overwatch by comparison is getting riddled with complete show-stopping bugs, from the DDOS to the heroes issue to this fresh BSOD hell, which if it's causing thermal protection shutdowns may actually be causing physical damage to PCs. Meltdown is a very apt comparison.

The article is correct. I never had problems with CP on PC, it was the console folks having issues.

OW2 is unplayable with game breaking bugs, not graphic popins or floating cars.

I uninstalled OW2, I think im done with Blizzard after this and the Diablo Immortal (that one more because of the p2w and monetization which poisons the enjoyment of OW2 as well).

I miss when games were games and you purchased them and got everything. Id rather pay 60 bucks for OW2 than have what ever it is you call they have now.

The article is correct. I never had problems with CP on PC, it was the console folks having issues.

OW2 is unplayable with game breaking bugs, not graphic popins or floating cars.

I uninstalled OW2, I think im done with Blizzard after this and the Diablo Immortal (that one more because of the p2w and monetization which poisons the enjoyment of OW2 as well).

I miss when games were games and you purchased them and got everything. Id rather pay 60 bucks for OW2 than have what ever it is you call they have now.
Nah - OW2 is not unplayable, CP was unplayable on console for months and was removed from PS Store.

OW2 got DDOSed, TWICE. Try not to blame blizz for external attacks.

Yes there are bugs, yes some people can't play - but you cannot possibly compare to CP and say it's worse when the entire console market was locked out of CP. With refunds, development restructure, and tons of apologies. CDPR knew the older consoles would immediately fail playing BEFORE LAUNCH.

CP was playable on PC for  most users - if they were okay with police cars spawned out of characters asses, NPCs disappearing, flying random objects, noclip rampant... If that's defined as "playable" I think the standards of development release cycles have dropped to zero.

There is very little comparison between the two launches, other than they both sucked, Blizz was packet flooded in the middle of their launch, and console players are actually able to play OW2 - crazy concept. OW2 will be functional, and playing smoothly for your standard player  long before CP2077 would have been ready in comparison.

Nah - OW2 is not unplayable, CP was unplayable on console for months and was removed from PS Store.

OW2 got DDOSed, TWICE. Try not to blame blizz for external attacks.

Yes there are bugs, yes some people can't play - but you cannot possibly compare to CP and say it's worse when the entire console market was locked out of CP. With refunds, development restructure, and tons of apologies. CDPR knew the older consoles would immediately fail playing BEFORE LAUNCH.

CP was playable on PC for  most users - if they were okay with police cars spawned out of characters asses, NPCs disappearing, flying random objects, noclip rampant... If that's defined as "playable" I think the standards of development release cycles have dropped to zero.

There is very little comparison between the two launches, other than they both sucked, Blizz was packet flooded in the middle of their launch, and console players are actually able to play OW2 - crazy concept. OW2 will be functional, and playing smoothly for your standard player  long before CP2077 would have been ready in comparison.

I can say it because I cant play OW2 and its burdened with p2play and p2win.

I didnt experience those problems on CP so absolutely 100% my answer is accurate based on my experiences. Nothing stopped me from playing CP and I never saw cars spawning out of asses, I only saw some glitching and T model NPC's but im not screaming "MY IMERSIONG OMGS I CANT PLAY BECAUSE OF A NPC LOOKING LIKE A T".

Either way you have no right to tell me I cant compare them based on my experiences. OW2 is a dumpster fire.

Stop trying to play modern games on old systems, I admit CP should never have been a console launch. Thats why I dont play consoles anymore though, they lack the hardware to play games like a PC.

A PC players perspective compared to a console on CP launch is night and day.

OW2 is literally damaging hardware...

Cyberpunk's launch was just the hype balloon that had blown up on it being popped, force multiplied by console gamers utterly losing their **** over getting a bad port and the media finally getting its chance to dunk on CDPR.

Overwatch by comparison is getting riddled with complete show-stopping bugs, from the DDOS to the heroes issue to this fresh BSOD hell, which if it's causing thermal protection shutdowns may actually be causing physical damage to PCs. Meltdown is a very apt comparison.
DDOS isn't really a bug so I can't put that on Blizzard. I haven't encountered any BSOD, but I haven't played since last weekend. And yeah, the character issue is a problem, but one problem does not make a dumpster fire. I can't say as I've seen any thermal issues playing OW2, I do monitor temp continuously on my GPU and I've under-volted my CPU so maybe that's helping avoid the problem. Just checked in-game and my GPU is running about 77C, which is pretty good since I'm on a laptop which doesn't have the best cooling.

DDOS isn't really a bug so I can't put that on Blizzard. I haven't encountered any BSOD, but I haven't played since last weekend. And yeah, the character issue is a problem, but one problem does not make a dumpster fire. I can't say as I've seen any thermal issues playing OW2, I do monitor temp continuously on my GPU and I've under-volted my CPU so maybe that's helping avoid the problem. Just checked in-game and my GPU is running about 77C, which is pretty good since I'm on a laptop which doesn't have the best cooling.
Way to ignore all the other bugs.
Please read last paragraph and google problems with OW2. Denying the problems just makes you look incredibly bias. Id like to think you are trying to be rational but if you deny all the problems with OW2 launch, I dont think that is what you are being.

I admit CP had problems, they didnt reboot my computer, prevent me from accessing it or beating it.

Please read last paragraph and google problems with OW2. Denying the problems just makes you look incredibly bias. Id like to think you are trying to be rational but if you deny all the problems with OW2 launch, I dont think that is what you are being.

I admit CP had problems, they didnt reboot my computer, prevent me from accessing it or beating it.
Not denying them, just saying I haven't experienced them. I see people reporting BSOD, but I have yet to have that problem. I have noticed that my GPU temps are down about 5 or 6 degrees, but I won't know for sure if that's permanent or a temporary observation until I can play for extended periods. Also, haven't noticed any character access issues. I am a legacy player so I wonder if some of those issues are specific to new players who might not have played OW1?

Denying the game is functioning for the overwhelming majority of players & attempting to state it was a larger dumpster fire than CDPR's release makes you look astronomically biased.

You're comparing an M80 to a JDAM here buddy.

Not for me I was able to play CP2077 with 1080ti at launch.....it was rough sure but I cant play OW2 with 3080ti or the 1080ti in a different machine.

Denying the game is functioning for the overwhelming majority of players & attempting to state it was a larger dumpster fire than CDPR's release makes you look astronomically biased.

You're comparing an M80 to a JDAM here buddy.
I guess I was one of the lucky few that could play CP yet 2 PCs cant play OW2 but my switch runs it flawlessly.

Because the issue is most likely to be caused by a weird antivirus with a bad implementation?
I would categorize, "bad anti-virus", as, "over abundant and over zealous DRM".

If I coould play devil's advocate for a moment That he game has issues, we'll assume is a given However, how many of user complaints are coming from players with inadequate hardwre? In the meantime, they're insisting on running with all settings maxed out.

Talk of current spikes shutting down PCs. has become more prevalent with the latest GPUs. Arguably, you don't need just any old 800 watt PSU, you need a damned good one.To the opposite, perhaps Blizzard needs to optimize the game to prevent these spikes.

Assuming I was a gamer, and if the image in the article is areasonable facsimile of what to expect in the game, I'm not terribly impressed, and certainly overwhelmed, by the look of it.

Back