An Xp restart problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first post. Here goes. My desktop pc has Xp SP2 on it. When I do a restart, the (blue)screen indicates it is updating 2 of 2, and do not turn off the computer until the update is finished. Only thing is, the update never finishes, so I have to do a manual shut down and then turn it back on after 30 second wait. I am not real savvy on these critters, so I can't troubleshoot this at all. If I look at themicrosoft site, my eyes just glaze over and I just get lost in the syntax and really do not learn anything to do to fix this problem. It is a problem, any suggestions that a novice might understand? Thanks so much!

Thanks for the updating suggestion. But it didn't work. Here's the full background on this thing: I did a full reformat ( a legal storebought Xp system) on the PC back in January of 2008. My Auto Updates were on and I guess working. Last night my visit to microsoftupdate netted me my update history which I printed, 13 pages, Ugh! Everything is green checks from 8 Jan to14 Jan, then I get my first red x. The update didn't go in or load or whatever you call it. One security update repeatedly did not update, Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181). And this one is listed with a red x and is like that until today. Also, a similar lack of loading for Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB928366). Those two entries appear not to be loadable. Apparently, all other downloads are going in as advertised: I've got a recent Windows Defender update, also updates on Active X, for Explorer 7, to name a few. But the two noted above, the 6181& 8366 simply do not update. Now I don't know where to go to get them to go in. any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back