TechSpot

Analysts expect iPad Mini to cannibalize standard iPad sales by 15-20%

By Matthew
Oct 18, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. After years of rumors, Apple is finally expected to launch a smaller version of its iPad next Tuesday, October 23. Although the device is technically still unconfirmed, various leaks suggest that it will have a 7.85-inch display and may come...

Read more
  2. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TS Booster Posts: 310   +62

I'd definitely trade in my ipad for a mini version
  3. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 901   +52

Is it really cannibalizing sales when Apple gets the sale either way?
    mario likes this.
  4. That's the definition of canabalization, it always refers to displacing your own product. If the mini iPad were to take away sales from a competitor it would be eroding the competitor's market share.
  5. "for every five million smaller iPads, you lose one million standard iPads"

even this iPad mini cannibalize iPad sales up to 20%, but let see how much profit generated by Apple? I bet no matter how normal iPad's sales down by 20%, iPad mini sales will more-than-enough to cover the normal iPad losses
  6. danhodge

danhodge TS Rookie Posts: 80   +13

There is a quote in the Steve Jobs biography that explains this, which I really like (I'm not an Apple fanboy, don't worry), and I remember the jist of it:

'If you don't cannibalize your own sales, someone else will instead'

Basically meaning they can afford to cannibilize their own sales, because if they don't Microsoft or Asus (I mention them because of their new Padfone 2) could create something better instead. So really, they are trying to keep the iPad alive and modern.
    mario likes this.
  7. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

iPhone cannibalized the iPod. iPad cannibalized the Macs. iPad will cannibalize iPads?

Yet Apple is taking more revenue year by year.

Did analysts analyze this kind of irrelevant stuff 6-7 years ago? Did anyone complained iPod mini/nano would cannibalize the original iPod?
    TechMancer and danhodge like this.
  8. RajeGera

RajeGera TS Rookie Posts: 50

This is not cannabilization of Ipad orginal sales.This one is to compete with other samller tabs from Samsung,Sony,Acer,Asus,Google and many more other companies.Sale of Ipad mini will overall boost the sale of apple tablets.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.