Android 4.0 to be codenamed Ice Cream

Emil

Staff

Android 4.0 will be codenamed Ice Cream, ARM President Tudor Brown has revealed to Forbes. Google's partners tend to have access to the Android roadmap but the codename is likely all we're going to hear about the fourth version of the company's mobile operating system for a while, since Ice Cream likely won't be introduced until mid-2011 at the earliest.

Version 3.0 (codenamed Gingerbread) and version 3.5 (codenamed Honeycomb) have yet to be released. Gingerbread is expected to be released before the end of the year and Honeycomb should arrive in early 2011.

The releases of Android are codenamed after a dessert, in alphabetical order. The custom began in May 2009 with the development of the version 1.5 (codenamed Cupcake). Android 1.6 (codenamed Donut) followed in September 2009 and Android 2.0 (codenamed Éclair) arrived in October 2009. Version 2.2, the current version of Android (unveiled in May 2010), is codenamed Froyo, short for frozen yogurt.

As you can see, Android fragmentation is a serious issue, but if Google releases major versions further apart, it should be able to cut the problem down. Unfortunately, the search giant has only promised to work on the problem, and it has yet to outline a potential solution.

Permalink to story.

Personally I like webOS alot. It was the first OS to have true multitasking. Hopefully with webOS 2 we'll see some great improvements. Though overall iOS is the best mobile OS out there due to the app support.

I've never really used android devices much. How is it?

They're pushing updates quick, this is cool. Hopefully first gen Droid still has a few OTA updates left in its lifespan and won't get left behind.

I hope that current 1Ghz cpus of Android will support the next operating systems starting with Gingerbread.

I right now own 3 tablets one I had ordered from China runs Android OS 1.6 which is now rooted, over clocked and sub over clocked to playback saved movies, tv shows, music videos, sniff the wireless network an etc. The other two were novels now tablet hybrids rooted over clocked and sub over clocked runs Android OS 2.0. Prior one ran Android OS 2.1 but the panel did me in. These are far cheaper than whats going to be coming out. China one has 3G, Camera/Video Camera/Capture, Ethernet 10/100mbp port two USB2.

But none are running Android OS for Tablet it's still Android OS for Mobile phones. Some apps don't take the full too well. So I have now Rooted ePad (Gome Flytouch Generic) 256MB of RAM, 2GB Internal Storage, 16GB External Storage, 300MHz CPU OC to 387MHz max / 250MHz min on 16:9 600x480 7" LCD Ultra-Bright Panel and 802.11n.

I also have what you can buy in Costco, Kohl's, Bed Bath and Beyond, Walgreen's, JC Penny is the PanDigital Novel now a Rooted PanDigital Novel / Tablet Hybrid 256MB or RAM, 512MB ROM, 4GB Internal Storage (upgradeable to 32GB) 16GB External Storage (upgradeable to 32GB),800MHz CPU sub OC 400MHz on 4:3 800x600 7" LCD Glassy Glass LCD Panel with 802.11n and this N300 has very good signal pick-up.

I also have what you can buy in Costco, Kohl's, Bed Bath and Beyond, Walgreen's, JC Penny is the PanDigital Novel now a Rooted PanDigital Novel / Tablet Hybrid 256MB or RAM, 512MB ROM, 4GB Internal Storage (upgradeable to 32GB) 16GB External Storage (upgradeable to 32GB),800MHz CPU sub OC 400MHz on 4:3 800x600 7" LCD Glassy Glass LCD Panel with 802.11n and this N300 has very good signal pick-up.

Out of all you have listed, this seems like the best. But, I am still waiting for the Galaxy Tab. Yes it is more expensive, but it will offer what I have been waiting for, and am not willing to subject myself to the overlordship of apple. In a few years time, this may seem like way overpriced, but I will get my worth out of it, I am sure.

Back