Android apps can access your smartphone's photos too

By Jos
Mar 2, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Apple came under scrutiny this week after reports about a loophole in iOS that could enable rogue apps to access a user's entire photo library and copying the data to…

Read the whole story
  2. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

3. lipe123

lipe123 TechSpot Guru Posts: 423   +75

Hah yes soon mobile OS' will be like Vista.

"are you sure you wanted to touch the screen"
    "Should app X be allowed to do Y"
    "Invalid user, you installed a random app that obviously looks suspect -change user and lick screen to continue"
  4. Butch

Butch TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 112

Well I guess I should stop taking pics of my HUGE bowel moments with my phone..
  5. there should be an easy way to control at the very least, general aspects of what an app can do when you install it. like hit a button to uncheck it from having access to txts or for browsing history or whatever. and what I mean by easy is built into android itself. not some rooted app. If the app cant function with certain permissions, it should either not run or you can just reinstall and check the needed permissions. Most apps have the exact same permissions checked anyways so its impossible to tell what it can actually do without some research. it really just makes the install page useless. Dont tell me what vague permissions a calendar app can do if it has the same permissions as, say, the facebook app.
    Am I the only one who thinks this is annoying?
  6. As a developer, I would say android OS is by far more insecure than ios. There are two reasons for this. IOS reviews the apps, android is a self publishing process. Second, the average user will not pay attention to permissions on install, and most users don't monitor "scary apps", or apps with a long list of scary permissions. This is a double whammy. Most developers rely on ad revenue, so users are accustomed to accepting internet permissions. It would be trivial to traverse the media database and send pictures/thumbnails over a socket connection. Users cannot view network traffic unless rooted, so you might as well assume its happening.
  7. im on windows Phone anyway :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.